It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World RBW Members General Section Surface Interval

Old 29th May 2009, 16:50   #1
bwyrwitzke
Rebreatherless

Hammerhead
bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to bwyrwitzke Send a message via MSN to bwyrwitzke Send a message via Yahoo to bwyrwitzke
What is the LEAST favorite feature on each rebreather?

Chett's thread on the Single Greatest Feature of each rebreather has been quite informative. How about taking a look at the other side now and describing the "feature" that you like the LEAST about your rebreather(s)? A potential CCR diver needs to weigh the pros against the cons when making a purchase decision so this may help with the whole picture.

I'm still new to the game, so I don't know what I don't like yet.

Bruce
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 17:24   #2
Dutchy
RBW Member

Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of
Re: What is the LEAST favorite feature on each rebreather?

Classic/Sport Kiss: Displays. Undoubtedly one of its best features is by far (IMHO) the worst too. Despite gentle handling one developed cracks and started leaking. Apart from that a battery exchange can be a pain too. On the other hand diving while missing one was atleast possible. I replaced them by Dave Mager displays. Without the backlight the battery lasts ages (or so it seems). I also feel they fit the KISS philosofy better than anything else (reed + magnet result in one less o-ring (the most error/wear prone one on KISS))
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 17:27   #3
DeepGeek
RBW Member

AP Evolution
DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about

I love my evolution but I hate the auto-air inflator hose/bailout. It drags along the ground when I'm carrying it, waves about underwater and needs adjusting every once in a while to stop it trickling dil out.
It also seems to find some way of storing water in the hose and then releasing it just when I get it inside my apartment (and only then).

Actually, I guess that's probably why APD brought out a BOV for the Evolution, so they could eventually get rid of it.
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 17:29   #4
PhilSiswick
Phil Siswick, Tango

JJ-CCR
APD Inspiration, Evolution
PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by DeepGeek) View Original Post
I love my evolution but I hate the auto-air inflator hose/bailout. It drags along the ground when I'm carrying it, waves about underwater and needs adjusting every once in a while to stop it trickling dil out.
It also seems to find some way of storing water in the hose and then releasing it just when I get it inside my apartment (and only then).

Actually, I guess that's probably why APD brought out a BOV for the Evolution, so they could eventually get rid of it.
Take it off and replace with a normal wing inflator. Problem solved...

There was no way I was going to let someone (including me) at that 2l dil cylinder with an OC reg! That's what that bailout tin is for.

Cheers,
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 17:32   #5
PhilSiswick
Phil Siswick, Tango

JJ-CCR
APD Inspiration, Evolution
PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute

Worst things about the Evo:

Candidates:

- Cells. Only one problem so far, but by far the most unreliable part of the thing
- OTS CLs. It would be much nicer with BMCL, but that's got it's challenges too

Worst thing:

- Single handset/cable: I'd love a proper backup handset. I'd also love it if it had a thinner cable I could wrap round my arm (like an umbilical torch cable). OTOH, it's pretty rugged.

So nothing much really. I love it.

Cheers,
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 17:33   #6
David Pye
CK#69

David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to David Pye

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dutchy) View Original Post
Classic/Sport Kiss: Displays. Undoubtedly one of its best features is by far (IMHO) the worst too. Despite gentle handling one developed cracks and started leaking. Apart from that a battery exchange can be a pain too. On the other hand diving while missing one was atleast possible. I replaced them by Dave Mager displays. Without the backlight the battery lasts ages (or so it seems). I also feel they fit the KISS philosofy better than anything else (reed + magnet result in one less o-ring (the most error/wear prone one on KISS))
Seconded. Bloody great if they worked, simple and independent.

PITA and unreliable, with flooding when they didnt.

David
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 17:55   #7
jptaylor9
RBW Member

jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice

Least favorite feature on the Sentinel...

The VR3 based on-board deco, I just ignore it & deco on my X1. But, guess it's useful as a backup! Not sold on the VGM model, would prefer a straight Buhlmann/GF model like the Vision has.

Very happy with all the other feartures.
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 19:08   #8
hchoat
Resident Selkie

Megladon
hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice

The god awful huge handsets on the Meg. They are very nearly as large as my entire forearm.....
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 19:25   #9
ljj
Monkeywench

Megalodon
ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice

agreed. looking forward to X1's :) We GOTTA get Leon to make more small stature gear!!!

(he fully admits that the gear was designed with a 6' something big dude as model, the nice thing tho is he's open for input)
(Offline)

Old 29th May 2009, 19:29   #10
Gill Envy
Shearwater Copis Diver

Copis Meg and rEvo III
Evolution
Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, the meg is heavy and uncomfortable with the stock harness... then again the double edge of that sword is it's simplicity and ruggedness.

As far as electronics, all the fatalities have left me suspicious enough of the stock electronics that I don't trust them and don't like their configuration and so I removed and replaced them with 3rd party in line deco and a real time po2 HUD before even getting the unit whet ... but that is more like a personal belief than an objective fact. I fell in love with Shearwater electronics early on, I guess I should leave it at that.

The flip side of that is that the Head is so customizable that one can relatively easily use the electronics of their liking and that is one of the single most amazing aspects of the meg, IMHO... throw on a fisher connector and the unit becomes so modular it can take a variety of electronics, it least as an mCCR, leaving you quite flexible for swapping out the type/brand of po2/deco monitor in-field when issues arrise (which they eventually will on any rebreather). throw an extra cable and sensors in your bag and carry a back up po2 monitor and you can respond to practically any electronics issue in-field, which for those of us who have had whole trips ruined from electronics issues, this is priceless and remarkably inexpensive!

g

Last edited by Gill Envy; 29th May 2009 at 19:34..
(Offline)