It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Dive Accidents / Incidents Rebreather Accidents / Incidents

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2009, 13:54   #1
bletso
An independent diver.

MCCR Dolphin
bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice
New Jersey Incident.

If this is true, is this not the first MCCR fatality? (Of course it was then with a store bought unit.)

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. i. e. gas, equipment, solo?

We never like to hear such bad news when one of our community checks out on a dive.

It just shows us that no matter how we dress these units up technologically, they will never be "safe".

Dale
(Offline)

Old 17th May 2009, 20:21   #2
drtyjrzy
Below Me???

drtyjrzy is on a distinguished road drtyjrzy is on a distinguished road
New Jersey Incident.

BARNEGAT INLET, N.J. - The Coast Guard medavaced a diver Saturday 30 miles east of Barnegat, N.J., after he was found unconscious 125 feet below the surface of the water.

Deceased is Gene Wite.

The Coast Guard received a call at approximately 2:14 p.m. from a crew member aboard the Tuna Seizure, homeported in Brielle, N.J., reporting Wite was found unconscious and they were performing Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation on him.

A rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., arrived on scene and transported Wite to the air station and was transferred to awaiting emergency medical personnel and was pronounced deceased.

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-aircrew-medevacs-1-near-barnegat-nj/2009/05/16/#more-10206

[ initial reports, unconfirmed, is that the victim was found unconscious at depth diving a rebreather. -mg]

[ Gene White {Wite ???} has a boat named the poseidon which is usually run all year with friends out of belmar area.. Gene dives a COPIS Megalodon ]
(Offline)

Old 18th May 2009, 10:50   #3
Gary68
RBW Member

Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Jersey Incident.

There was interesting uncomfirmed info on the decostop: The Deco Stop
Quote: (Originally Posted by jradomski)
I have heard a few conflicting reports about specifics, but the info that I heard that I most trust is that he was not found by accident.. He was 30 minutes overdue and one of his buddies went looking for him and followed Gene's guidline out into the sand as Gene was going for scallops.. Gene generally does one long solo dive so it did not immediately raise any red flags..
I was told Gene was found kneeling and his dil bottle was empty (conflicting reports about the o2 bottle and bailout).. I was told this diver tried to inflate Gene's wing and could not (all this is 3rd hand I have not talked directly to any of the witnesses but several of the sources talked directly to witnesses).. Diver went for help and mate recovered body..
There are a few questions that those of us who knew him need to have answered about condition of loop and some gear config questions..

Gene was a nice guy, may he Rest in Peace...
(Offline)

Old 18th May 2009, 14:00   #4
John, Northeast Scuba
RBW Member

John, Northeast Scuba will become famous soon enough John, Northeast Scuba will become famous soon enough John, Northeast Scuba will become famous soon enough

Quote: (Originally Posted by Gary68) View Original Post
There was interesting uncomfirmed info on the decostop: The Deco Stop
Hi guys, he was not overdue. Here is what my father wrote on the deco stop. he was the Captain on the boat

I will only say there is no answers as yet. I've been questioning everything involved with this. No one went looking for him, there was no "overdue". It was very trying for all of us if and when I have any clue as to what went wrong I will post it. Gene will be sorely missed, a great guy, a very good diver and I am not in very good shape over this. All the second hand third hand reporting does nothing to help find out whats went so wrong. There is an investigation on going hopefully an answer will come from it. Capt. Bill (tunaseazure)
(Offline)

Old 18th May 2009, 16:42   #5
John, Northeast Scuba
RBW Member

John, Northeast Scuba will become famous soon enough John, Northeast Scuba will become famous soon enough John, Northeast Scuba will become famous soon enough

I am writing this as much as a memorial to Gene as a way to help my grief. We were to dive the Resor, Gene was onboard as crew. All the passengers were both good friends and regular divers on Genes boat the Poseidon. For anyone that didn't know Gene he was a one of a kind man. I must admit I was envious of his knowledge and skill as a diver and his overall knowledge of all the wrecks he dove. He was diving a megaladon rebreather as he rolled over to tie the shot line in. Conditions were 4 to 5 ft swell. Although it was quite foggy on the way out during the dives we had about 2 miles of surface vis. Decent vis on the bottom, almost no current. Gene tied in and sent the anchor up as a sign we were tied in. Everyone went in and all went well on the first dive. Gene had his scooter on both dives. His dive was less then two hrs run time, I don't have the exact times in front of me. When he came back he was in good spirits and was the Gene I know and showed no signs of any problems. After about a two hr surface he went back down again with his scooter to go for bugs and scallops. After an hr and a half one of the passengers came back and told me at the ladder Gene was not coming back, I could see his tears in his mask. Gene was found floating off the bottom, scooter still attached with maybe fifty scallops in his bag. They had tried to put one of their regs in his mouth and attempt to help him. He was at that point lifeless and I believe gone. While we brought the other people back on the boat I radioed the coast guard to try and get some help. We had on board all very exp. people with both an instructor and another Capt. on board. My other mate went down and sent Gene up. We had a swimmer ready and he brought Gene to the side of the boat. We brought him in, cut him out of his drysuit and started CPR and O2 while we got the AED ready. We affixed the AED to him and waited for it to tell us the next step. It tore our hearts out when it said no shock required as we all knew what this meant. They continued to perform CPR and administer O2 with a mask. The coast guard put a swimmer in the boat and Gene was airlifted off. He was pronounced dead at Atlantic City. We were not concerned or looking for him when he was found on the bottom. Following are the facts involved with the accident as I remember them. He was still attached to his scooter and bug bag with maybe 50 scallops in it. There was mention of his mouth piece being bit through. He was missing an 80 cf aluminum tank that was with him when he went in. He was maybe 30 ft from the anchor when he was found. One of the guys mentioned they tried to blow up his bc and it wouldn't work, don't know why. They tried to get him to take there back up and there was no response. On the boat Gene expressed a question as to whether his scooter battery would have enough battery left for the whole second dive he had planned. The coast guard has all his gear as well as the meg. We did not go back down and try to find the aluminum 80. The investigation is underway and hopefully they'll be some closure when it comes back. I hope some of the other people on the boat will post anything I missed as I think Gene would have wanted the knowledge out to perhaps help put this to an end. You can not imagine just how horrible it is to lose someone like this. My prayers are with his family and friends. This will stay with all of us forever and my times spent with Gene when he was here will be some of my fondest. A part of me died with Gene and there’s nothing anyone could have done for him. Capt. Bill and the crew and passengers of the Tunaseazure.
(Offline)

Old 19th May 2009, 05:31   #6
jradomski

Hammehead & rEvo & Custom
KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg
jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute

please put condolences in this thread

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=26691
ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.
(Offline)

Old 19th May 2009, 07:29   #7
jradomski

jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CCR fatality may 16,2009 in NJ

Quote: (Originally Posted by bletso) View Original Post
If this is true, is this not the first MCCR fatality? (Of course it was then with a store bought unit.)

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. i. e. gas, equipment, solo?

We never like to hear such bad news when one of our community checks out on a dive.

It just shows us that no matter how we dress these units up technologically, they will never be "safe".

Dale
There have been a few other mCCR fatalaties, so this is not the first..

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.
(Offline)

Old 19th May 2009, 07:36   #8
AD_ward9
Banned - Threat of Litigation

AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by jradomski) View Original Post
There have been a few other mCCR fatalaties, so this is not the first..
In the past twelve months, there are 2 KISSes and a COPIS Meg that has gone on the list. Stats are being watched very closely.

Not to mention variable flow units like the Voyager, which have a much higher rate for their population.

Obviously a very sad event. Any lessons from any accident, we will try and glean. We have to wait for more data just now, and it can be a long wait.

Alex

Last edited by AD_ward9; 19th May 2009 at 07:40..
(Offline)

Old 19th May 2009, 07:43   #9
jradomski

Quote: (Originally Posted by AD_ward9) View Original Post
In the past twelve months, there are 2 KISSes and a COPIS Meg that has gone on the list. Stats are being watched very closely.

Not to mention variable flow units like the Voyager, which have a much higher rate for their population.

Obviously a very sad event. Any lessons from any accident, we will try and glean. We have to wait for more data just now, and it can be a long wait.

Alex

Plus don't forget (in the past) a few of the rigs modified from eCCR to mCCR.

(Offline)

Old 19th May 2009, 08:01   #10
Gary68
RBW Member

Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about

megaladon rebreather is an eCCR (not mCCR)- isn't it?
(Offline)

Closed Thread