It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers Inspiration / Evolution Inspiration / Evolution Rebreathers

Old 28th January 2009, 15:07   #1
NorthWoodsDiver
RBW Member

NorthWoodsDiver is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick Disconnect Confusion

I am always trying to better understand the evo and continue plans for my dual rebreather project but since I dont own one yet I have a couple questions about the fittings.

What what I have heard from local evo divers is the quick disconnect fittings and hose fittings are proprietary or otherwise not compatible with other units like the meg, kiss, HH, rEvo, etc. So in an effort to try and figure out what is what I was hoping someone here could explain what was different exactly...

Dive rite express lists a plug and socket quick disconnect for the APD line in their accessories section as well as selling a line of hoses with what looks like some very unique connectors that dont look anything like the other quick disconnect fittings they sell for APD.

North East Scuba Supply has listed what they call CEJN fittings which dont seem to be real popular in google searches. Some threads here reference them as being compatible with certain brands of BCD fittings but dont mention weather they work with the APD ones. They seem like a nice cost effective alternative to buying what DRE sells if they are compatible.

I just dont want to end up buying a bunch of inexpensive fittings for my bailout tanks or BOV or something if they wont be compatible with all the evo guys I will be diving with. Thanks for your help
(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 15:15   #2
NEDIVER
Sic Semper Tyrannis

NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold
Re: Quick Disconnect Confusion

The counter-lung gas addition buttons are proprietary to APD. Haven't found a way around those. I have the APD QD hose AND a standard drysuit QD on my first stages for the BO tanks.
(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 18:05   #3
broady
RBW Member

broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about broady has a spectacular aura about

Normal inflation hoses fit the counterlung add buttons fine :)

HTH

Graham

(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 19:12   #4
MB
Banned

MB is an unknown quantity at this point

And CENJ compatible stubs can be substituted on the normal add valves if you want to do so in order to have QD's that are suitable for direct connection to a BOV or other high flow application on your feed hoses. The old stubs unthread and the larger bore CEJN ones replace them.

Dave

(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 20:51   #5
jradomski

Hammehead & rEvo & Custom
KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg
jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by broady) View Original Post
Normal inflation hoses fit the counterlung add buttons fine :)

HTH

Graham

Thats not totally true SOME inflation hose do some don't.. The ap nipple is a non standard size.. its a bit longer than the normal nipple. generally if the hose locks on correctly it will work, however many will not correctly lock in place..
ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.
(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 20:59   #6
jradomski

Hammehead & rEvo & Custom
KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg
jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by NorthWoodsDiver) View Original Post
I am always trying to better understand the evo and continue plans for my dual rebreather project but since I dont own one yet I have a couple questions about the fittings.

What what I have heard from local evo divers is the quick disconnect fittings and hose fittings are proprietary or otherwise not compatible with other units like the meg, kiss, HH, rEvo, etc. So in an effort to try and figure out what is what I was hoping someone here could explain what was different exactly...

Dive rite express lists a plug and socket quick disconnect for the APD line in their accessories section as well as selling a line of hoses with what looks like some very unique connectors that dont look anything like the other quick disconnect fittings they sell for APD.

North East Scuba Supply has listed what they call CEJN fittings which dont seem to be real popular in google searches. Some threads here reference them as being compatible with certain brands of BCD fittings but dont mention weather they work with the APD ones. They seem like a nice cost effective alternative to buying what DRE sells if they are compatible.

I just dont want to end up buying a bunch of inexpensive fittings for my bailout tanks or BOV or something if they wont be compatible with all the evo guys I will be diving with. Thanks for your help
the ap nipple is a bit longer than the standard bc nipple, so it will work o some standard lp hose, the qd ap uses also works on SOME standard nippes ( the are the nes that generally have a "bar" across the opening" the ap qd is a bt deeper an many nipples will not activate the schraeder valve..

the AP hi flow connectors are a different connector entirely.. I really cant recommend them.. I never had good luck with the and usualy they can't be disconnected under pressure without free flowing..

I usually recommed the m&j qds because they are compatible with both m&j nipples and standard cejn nipples and are nicely made..

If you use m&j nipples they can not be used with cejn qd.. I don;t recommend standard cejn qd because they only wrk with cejn nipples and there are alot of divers using m&j fittings..
so the most compatible arrangement is a m&j qd and a cejn nipple...
ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.
(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 21:06   #7
MB
Banned

Quote: (Originally Posted by jradomski) View Original Post
so the most compatible arrangement is a m&j qd and a cejn nipple...

Which makes it easy as the CEJN Nipple is a standard drysuit valve part that fits almost any inflator or manual add valve.

If you use M&J Nipples, a little work with some emery paper will allow them to work with CEJN hoses.

The CEJN standard nipple is available for use on a second stage or BOV as the Ocean Reef full face mask quick connect coupling. Once again, either CEJN hoses or M&J connections will fit this part.

Dave
(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 22:13   #8
cramerdn
Unbanned

cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by jradomski) View Original Post
Thats not totally true SOME inflation hose do some don't.. The ap nipple is a non standard size.. its a bit longer than the normal nipple. generally if the hose locks on correctly it will work, however many will not correctly lock in place..
Yep what he said.

I was told this during my course as well. The instructor told be to get a scubapro LP inflator hose because they definately worked. I bought a SP brand connector that screwed onto a normal second stage end of a generic hose and it works great.

The no name generic LP inlator hoses I have do not connect to the manual add valves nipple.
(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 22:24   #9
NorthWoodsDiver
RBW Member

NorthWoodsDiver is an unknown quantity at this point

So I assume there is a standard thread pattern used on the hoses and nipples since the m&j fittings, standard DS fittings, and CEJN fittings all interchange. or do I need to find specific thread patterns to fit the APD products.

My hope is to be able to accept gas from any of my team members or give gas to any team members and have the BOV fitting and add fittings all the same so I can plumb into either place depending on the situation.

I was hoping this would be the best option Rebreathers - CEJN Fittings - Northeast Scuba Supply

and then carry a standard second stage in a pocket w/ a nipple on it so if necessary I can just plug and play my OC gas in case a member doesn't have a BOV or the BOV should become non functional. M&J makes the fitting for the second stage side so it would be nice if everything else fit together properly.

That way I only need 1 hose and a pressure gauge on my OC bailout tanks.
Is there a good source for the CEJN fittings with a wider variety of hose connections than what northwest sells, Mcmaster Carr doesn't have anything so...

Thanks again
(Offline)

Old 28th January 2009, 22:35   #10
MB
Banned

Quote: (Originally Posted by NorthWoodsDiver) View Original Post
So I assume there is a standard thread pattern used on the hoses and nipples since the m&j fittings, standard DS fittings, and CEJN fittings all interchange. or do I need to find specific thread patterns to fit the APD products.

Everything I have ever seen (BC Inflators, drysuit inflator valves, etc) has 3/8-24 threads so the stub will interchange with almost anything.

You *could* also just swap out the add valves, which are really nothing but drysuit inflator valves.

CEJN is actually a manufacturer, and they make a dozen or more types of quick couplings. In "The Old Days", Poseidon selected one of their fittings, the CEJN Series 221, for the drysuit hoses of the old "Original" Unisuit (crotch zipper one). Later on, Viking started using them on the Viking Pro drysuits. Then even later a fitting with the same geometry was selected by Apeks for their breathable-inflator, and ditto Seaquest for the Air-Source, and then ditto for Ocean Reef for their full face mask. AFAIK, I was the first real proponent of using them for a multi-purpose, fully-integrated rebreather gas feed connection device, and there are many posts on the subject here if you search and read. Search here for the thread "Ultimate Offboard System" and I bet you turn up what you want to read.

Nowadays, the term "CEJN" has been coopted to mean "Compatable with the CEJN Series 221 as used by Poseidon and Viking", as none of the fittings that anyone sells seems to be actually *made* by the CEJN company in Sweden. None of the fittings sold by NE Scuba are actually CEJN products.

Useful links:

Welcome to CEJN - www.cejn.com

Couplings & Nipples - www.cejn.com

Series 221 - www.cejn.com

NOTE!!!! There are drysuit hoses (Apeks) that have original CEJN 221 fittings on one end, but have flow restrictions added at the other end so that a blown hose does not empty the supply cylinder rapidly. It is VERY VERY VERY important to look at supply hoses to make sure that this is not the case, if you plan to breathe open circuit thru them. The restrictor can be drilled out with ease, but your life may depend on having made sure!!

Series 221

• High flow capacity
  • Grip-friendly locking sleeve
  • Small outside dimensions
In addition to a grip-friendly locking sleeve and small outside dimensions, Series 221 offers a high rate of airflow and a wide connection range. This coupling series is ideal for laboratory breathing air systems, dry suit inflation, and diving applications.

Dave

Last edited by MB; 28th January 2009 at 22:44..
(Offline)