It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers KISS Rebreathers Kiss Classic and Sport Rebreathers

Old 25th August 2008, 23:08   #1
Pressure Seeker

Pressure Seeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Bug factories

Hello all,

Posting this here as I dive a CK but I guess its relevant to any RB.. a day or so after my last dive I was struck down with a pestilence or really bad man-flu to be precise. And it got me wondering… as we dive with what’s basically a cosy warm bacteria factory and as I must have had the virus before diving. I got to wondering if a virus such as the good olde common cold could survive in a rebreather..and if so for how long and do the usual disinfectants kill it..?
(Offline)

Old 26th August 2008, 00:24   #2
Celia_E
Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

Megalodon
Location: Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning...
Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bug factories

Hibiclens (tradename) or Chlorhexidine gluconate is one of the common disinfectants for the loop, it lists Avian flu as one of the bugs it is effective against, avian flu is a bird mutated virus. I am guessing that if it is effective against that virus it is likely effective against the common cold virus as well.

Virkon is also effective against viruses (see the link for the brochure) and it is available for the disinfection of your loop as well.

http://www.alliedmedical.com/docs/Virkonbrochure.pdf

Virkon has been rebranded by DuPont as Rely-On but it is the same product if you do a search.

Hope this is helpful.

Dive safe,

Celia

Last edited by Celia_E; 26th August 2008 at 00:26..
(Offline)