It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Accessories and other dive kit Compressors, Blending / Mixing and Booster Pumps

Old 27th March 2008, 04:46   #1
RebreatherNut
Casual Sport Kiss Pilot

Sport Kiss
RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to RebreatherNut
Question Teflon thread tape oxygen safe?

Hi all,
I am just about to put my fill whip together and I am wondering if I have to use a special oxygen safe teflon thread tape?

Or can I use just a normal teflon thread tape, as long as it is rated for high pressure?

Thanks for your input.

RBN
(Offline)

Old 27th March 2008, 05:54   #2
seanpall
RBW Member

Inspo
seanpall is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Teflon thread tape oxygen safe?

Its ok to use regular tape, just be carefull to keep it on the threads only making sure that no tape protrudes into the air flow.
(Offline)

Old 27th March 2008, 23:39   #3
diverreb
Richie Burr

O2ptima FX
diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to diverreb Send a message via Skype™ to diverreb

Yep.. No problem using it... Good idea leave the bottom two threads clean. It helps to insure no little pieces get cut off and get blown into the system, which has the potential to be a bad thing.

Richie
(Offline)

Old 28th March 2008, 00:15   #4
RebreatherNut
Casual Sport Kiss Pilot

Sport Kiss
RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to RebreatherNut

Thanks for the input guys.

cheers,

RBN:)
(Offline)

Old 28th March 2008, 02:23   #5
tibby
untitled

tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about

One thing I've learned recently, teflon tape does not get along with "Simple Green" cleaner, especially concentrated. It will melt the teflon tape away!...the weirdest thing I've seen, try it and you'll see.
I'm sure it's fine to use with oxygen
(Offline)

Old 28th March 2008, 03:36   #6
Joshua Smith
Nailer99

Megalodon
Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of

Around here, there's 2 kinds of teflon tape commonly available- white, for water piping, yellow, for natural gas/ propane, and I have been told that there is a pink color for 02- but I've never seen it.
(Offline)

Old 28th March 2008, 08:10   #7
Gilles
RBW Member

Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice

Teflon is very inert and is safe in O2. Just avoid getting little bits of it inside the system.
(Offline)

Old 28th March 2008, 12:26   #8
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by Gilles) View Original Post
Teflon is very inert and is safe in O2. Just avoid getting little bits of it inside the system.
that's why it's always best to have a filter at the very end

paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter jaksa 002.jpg (68.8 KB, 307 views)
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...
(Offline)

Old 28th March 2008, 12:31   #9
Jimmer
RBW Member

Jimmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: (Originally Posted by Nailer99) View Original Post
Around here, there's 2 kinds of teflon tape commonly available- white, for water piping, yellow, for natural gas/ propane, and I have been told that there is a pink color for 02- but I've never seen it.
I've got a couple rolls of the pink tape at home. I'll check who makes it, I know it's easy to find around here. What I like about it is that it's a little thicker/tougher than most tapes, and doesn't get as stringy when you start threading it together. I find it's a better seal too.
(Offline)

Old 28th March 2008, 12:37   #10
Scubascooby
Choose Freedom - UKIP

Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough

I don't like using ptfe at all but it's about the only thing that will stop Swagelock fittings from leaking.

I have heard that ptfe does not break down at all in the environment, it just gets ground into smaller pieces producing this:

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Warning on plastic's toxic threat

Also, when burned it produces very poisonous gas.
(Offline)