It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Design & Operation

Old 27th February 2008, 21:29   #1
Belgium137

MK15.5 / rEvo-III Mini
Classic KISS
Belgium137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cis Lunar Gas-Block

Does anyone here on the forum have more info on the Gas-Block used on the Cis Lunar Mk5-P: flow-drawings, pics, ... and how it is implemented on the unit?

Thanx everyone!
(Offline)

Old 28th February 2008, 12:00   #2
DanFountain
Analog Luddite

BP240 conversion
Homebuilts
DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cis Lunar Gas-Block

Quote: (Originally Posted by Belgium137) View Original Post
Does anyone here on the forum have more info on the Gas-Block used on the Cis Lunar Mk5-P: flow-drawings, pics, ... and how it is implemented on the unit?

Thanx everyone!
Take a look at the patent:

Breathing apparatus - Google Patents

-Dan

Last edited by DanFountain; 28th February 2008 at 12:17..
(Offline)

Old 28th February 2008, 14:15   #3
Belgium137

MK15.5 / rEvo-III Mini
Classic KISS

Thanx very much! That was what i was looking for!!

Greetz
Erik
(Offline)

Old 28th February 2008, 16:46   #4
satansma
RBW Member

satansma has a spectacular aura about satansma has a spectacular aura about satansma has a spectacular aura about satansma has a spectacular aura about satansma has a spectacular aura about satansma has a spectacular aura about

i have no idea what this is even talking about but if it can supply me with a breathable mix at 700m i want one.

Method and device for the autonomous ... - Google Patents
(Offline)

Old 28th February 2008, 20:31   #5
MB
Banned

MB is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that patent stuff enough, or do you want a users-level description of the thing? I looked at the drawings and they are simpler than what was actually used on the Mk-5P system. The patent is a description of the dual-redundant system and while similar to the Mk-5P is not identical. The gas block shown does not incorporate the offboard supplies of the Mk-5P, nor the selectable BOV feed system.

Dave

Last edited by MB; 29th February 2008 at 02:02..
(Offline)

Old 29th February 2008, 12:47   #6
DanFountain
Analog Luddite

BP240 conversion
Homebuilts
DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough

Dave,

Would definitely like to see a functional description of the Mk-5 gas block. How about a photo or two? (save a couple thousand words...)

-Dan
(Offline)

Old 29th February 2008, 19:03   #7
Belgium137

MK15.5 / rEvo-III Mini
Classic KISS

Hi Dave,

Went through the patent today and indeed noticed that it is a simpler version of the gas-block used in the MK5P. I would love a more detailed description, drawings, pics,... of the actual gas-block on the MK5P, that would be very helpfull!
Thanx!

Erik
(Offline)

Old 29th February 2008, 23:52   #8
MB
Banned

MB is an unknown quantity at this point

Uhh.... OK: Here's the deal: I have the manual, but it is still a "property of CIS-Lunar Research" document and I am not comfortable doing a cut and paste of the diagrams here. Ron Micjan posted an article on the CIS that is here on the site as an article, and there are photos of the block there. I've attached one line drawing hoping that there's no objection from Bill Stone.

Basically, the block has two hoses running do it, and 3 back to the rig from it.

Onboard Diluent to the block
Onboard 02 to the block
diluent return to the rig
02 return to the rig
feed to the BOV

Block has two quick connects on the bottom for offboard diluent and 02 addition.

Block has 5 valves:

Diluent manual add (really only used to flush the sensors)
02 manual add
3 position diliuent select "onboard, off, offboard"
3 position 02 select "onboard, off, offboard"
Main 02 valve, 3 positions: Normal, 02 manual add valve on but solenoid isolated, and the third position where diluent to the BOV is deselected and 02 is fed to the BOV. In this last position 02 is still available to the 02 manual add but the solenoid is still isolated.

With this system you can use onboard or offboard dil or 02, turn any gas off, add any gas manually, purge the sensors, bail out to any of the sources including 02, and isolate the solenoid while maintaining the 02 manual add valve. Nice, huh?

Careful observers will ask about ADV isolation. That's done at the ADV on the right (exhale) CL.

No joke, this block cost more to manufacture than most rebreathers (complete) cost. It's the heart of the CIS. I had thought about making a functional duplicate of it for years for my Mark-15, and had it drawn out and would probably have been working on it next winter (still might do so). I always lusted after one, and in the end it's one of two items on the CIS that drove me to buy one (the other being the floodable scrubber). The gas management capability of the block is exactly perfect. It has additional features such as lift to turn interlocks, etc. It's aerospace quality in every way. No wonder CLR went bankrupt... nobody could afford to pay for what one of these rigs must have cost to produce. An aircraft part of this quality and complexity would be a $10K part.

Dave
Cis Mk-5P S/N 3 "on the way"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cisblock.jpg (25.6 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by MB; 1st March 2008 at 12:40..
(Offline)

Old 3rd March 2008, 13:45   #9
DanFountain
Analog Luddite

BP240 conversion
Homebuilts

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dave ******) View Original Post
...Ron Micjan posted an article on the CIS that is here on the site as an article, and there are photos of the block there.
Am I the only one who can't get the photos in the article? http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=2466
-Dan
(Offline)

Old 3rd March 2008, 14:04   #10
Crazyduck
RBW Member

Dolphin
Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough

Dan,
Try it directly from his site.

The Cis-Lunar Rebreather

Regards, Andrew
(Offline)