It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories BOBs and Home Builds Home Build Rebreathers

Old 18th October 2007, 11:39   #1
gibbogeo
Gilberto Bonaga, Italy

Kiss with Hammerhead
Draeger Dolphin
gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to gibbogeo
Space SCR prototype is an homebuild selfmixing SCR

Last March in Rome, at the "EUDI sohw", was presented the protoypes of a new serie of semiclosed rebreather, the "Space".

It have been developed from an homebuild machine made with cookware, bicicle innertube, plumbing pvc pipes and a draeger mouthpieces.

This machine has been built some years ago and, since then, have been dived by the coral fisher who made it three times a week in the range of 100-130m.

The idea is that if you add to a continuous flux of nitrox (actually it use ean40) a flux of pure diluent, without oxygen, increasing with the depth, you can have a mix, in the loop, that is quite stable for the PPO2 (actually it varies with the metabolism) and a FO2 variable with the depth.

The two flux, the constant flux of nitrox and the depth dependent lux of helium, are obtained using two orifices and two pressure reducer (they are not classical diving first stage regulators). The one for the fixed nitrox flux is a fixed ip pressure reducer, with a fixed pressure of 36 bar. In the homebuild it feed nitrox 40 in an orifice that give around 13 liter of gas per minute. The other pressure reducer is feeding pure helium at a pressure that is 2.2 time the ambient pressure (at surface give a pressure of 2.2 bar, at 110m it gives a pressure of 22 bar). The pressure reducer for the diluent have a different area in contact with the ambient pressure and the gas it feeds to the orifice, no spring, no regulation, only a 2.2 times bigger area in the outside surface than the internal one.

In the original homebuilt the counterlung is single and frontal, made with two pot cover (!) connected by a cut bicycle inner tube (!!). When the counterlng is squeezed by the pressure, it press a second stage leverage that is the bypass for the diluent. When the counterlung is full, there is a cable that open a triple seal valve that let the gas flow outside from the expiring hose, before passing through the scrubber.

The scrubber is under the counterlung and is made of a pvc plumbing tube, two steel cake containers and some rubber sealings.

For cleaning the mask or for bailout there is a third bottle of trimix connected to a normal OC first and second stage regulator who serves also as a bailout.

The original homebuilt has no electronic to check the PPO2.

It is incredible the light weight of this homebuild, the reduced dimensions and the fact that it is a ventral unit.

The prototypes of the Space derived from this homebuilt SCR presented at EUDI show are built in plastic and have very few metal parts (no cookware in the commercial units). There are various version, at the moment 4, the simplest one (Space 40) is working as a traditional CMF with nitrox and is limited to 40 meter without deco dive.

The other versions (Space 52, Space 72 and space 120) are versions worhing with nitrox and helium as a diluent like the homebuilt.

All the prototypes have a transparent scrubber container that will be filled with preloaded cartridge of CO2 absorbent. At both end of the scrubber container there is a water trap and one purge valve.

For the moment the loop hoses are in silicone, with a very light plastic DSV.

Are still present the triple seal purge valve connected to the front of the front of the scrubber and the second stage part that works as a ADV. The frontal single counterlung is connected to a dedicated BCD that holds the bottles (one for the space 40, three for the other models).

Actually the Space is still under testing and it is not possible to say when will be on the market.
(Offline)

Old 20th October 2007, 13:49   #2
Yankee Rebel
Custom Title Allowed!

Yankee Rebel is on a distinguished road Yankee Rebel is on a distinguished road
Re: Space SCR prototype is an homebuild selfmixing SCR

beautifully done!! i love it!!
(Offline)

Old 20th October 2007, 16:24   #3
shil
RBW Member

shil will become famous soon enough shil will become famous soon enough shil will become famous soon enough

Bravissimo for the design.Incredibly creative.
Can you share/illustrate the gas flow schematic ?

Shill
(Offline)

Old 21st October 2007, 01:19   #4
gibbogeo
Gilberto Bonaga, Italy

Kiss with Hammerhead
Draeger Dolphin
gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to gibbogeo

Quote: (Originally Posted by shil) View Original Post
Bravissimo for the design.Incredibly creative.
Can you share/illustrate the gas flow schematic ?
Here is the "flyer" (in Italian) that explain how does it works:

Practically there are three bottles:

The first is of nitrox 40, with a sealed pressure reducer thet feeds a fixed IP through a quick connection to an orifice that permits a continuous flow.

The second bottle contains pure helium, with a pressure reducer, connected with another quick connection, that feeds a pressure two times the ambient pressure to an orifice that give a flow of gas increasing with the ambient pressure.

The third bottle contains the bottom mix (trimix) and it is connected to a normal first stage that feeds a second stage for the clening of the mask and the bailout (I think it is a 20 liter bottle) and to the ADV (you can actionate the ADV simply pushing on the pot cover till it touch the lever of the ADV).

This is what i have been told by the men who built and use it.

Hope it helps.
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2009, 02:45   #5
OceanOpportunity
for a world of water

homebuild/custom
rEvo, Dolphin, CCR2000, Inspo
OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold

anything ever come of this rig?
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2009, 08:47   #6
leonmarino
RBW Member

Submatix
CCR Dolphin, O2/mCCR homemade
leonmarino is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to leonmarino

Quote: (Originally Posted by OceanOpportunity) View Original Post
anything ever come of this rig?
I think the unit is in production.

Some months ago, in forobuceo.com (a spanish dive forum), the final util was presented.

Here some links:

(Videos y fotos) Space 40

http://www.fondali.it/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=60

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/home-build-rebreathers/14875-space-scr-prototype-homebuild-selfmixing-scr.htRebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step

Photos from ESA SPAIN | Facebook

fotos varias ESA SPAIN | Facebook

"Los cursos son 350 €, incluye 3 practicas y dos teoricas

Si eres instructor de ESA el curso para la especialidad de instructor es 300 €

el precio esta sobre los 1300 € para el instructor y los 1500 € para el usuario"

Translation (...bad translation):

"The course is 350€, include 3 practise and 2 theorical. If you are ESA instructor the cost of the instructor course is 300 €"

"the price is over 1300 € for instructors and 1500 € for the users"

I hope this can help you. I don't see the unit in person. In this link (in spanish) people talk about the unit and his experiences.

Regards.

(Offline)

Old 15th December 2009, 08:49   #7
leonmarino
RBW Member

Submatix

sorry, the last link:

FORO DE BUCEO DEPORTIVO :: Ver tema - Comentarios al Space 40/T.I.R.
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2009, 14:10   #8
OceanOpportunity
for a world of water

homebuild/custom
rEvo, Dolphin, CCR2000, Inspo
OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold

looks like an interesting rig. small chest mounted units have a place..I'm surprised there arent more out there.

I'm curious as to the gas injection logic. So, EAN 40 is added via an orifice with a fixed IP reg, yes? Then heliox is added via an orifice with standard reg, yes? what does the FO2 look like throughout the dive?
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2009, 15:39   #9
leonmarino
RBW Member

Submatix

looks like an interesting rig. small chest mounted units have a place..I'm surprised there arent more out there.

I'm curious as to the gas injection logic. So, EAN 40 is added via an orifice with a fixed IP reg, yes?
yes, it uses 40% and 32% injectors.

Then heliox is added via an orifice with standard reg, yes?
what does the FO2 look like throughout the dive?
The final unit serie hava a 32% injector but you can purchase a 40% injector too. It has a ADV to add gas when the lung ¿collapse?.

I don't know nothing about the use of helium enriched gases.

It's a beautiful unit but since May of 2009 I don't ear nothing more about it. A pair of centers in Barcelona and Girona (Costa brava) offers courses.

If you want I have the email address of the person who send me this information.

Regards.

P.D.: I have more information about the Space 40/T.I.R, but in Spanish. If this is not a problem I can send it by e-mail.

Last edited by leonmarino; 15th December 2009 at 15:42..
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2009, 16:02   #10
Gobfish1
RBW Member

old ybod
Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute

V interesting post .. Thank you
(Offline)