It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers Other VR Technology Sentinel Rebreather

Old 14th September 2007, 17:23   #1
schford
RBW Founder

schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute
New CCRB Sentinel Rebreather aka Baby Boris

I foolishly left my camera in work so the photos will have to wait but here is the low down (as I remember it from my discussions with Kevin - any omissions / errors are mine and I will correct if pointed out)

CCRB are well advanced on launching their new Rebreather called the Sentinel. Testing is ongoing at the moment and results are positive. They think that retail sales will begin early next year.

The Sentinel will come in three base flavours and a choice of a single rear mounted counter lung or 2 over the shoulder counter lungs.

Recreational aka Level 1 - which will not be trimix enabled and have a 300 bar 3l dil cylinder to handle onboard bail out (2l O2 I believe)

Tech - aka Level 2 - circa 60m trimix enabled.

Full - aka Level 3 - which will have all the bells and whistles.

I will talk about the full rear CL version as that is what I saw.

This has the same HUD as in the Boris and it has a modified version of the HUD attached to the hoses at the rear so your buddys can see what is going on and if you are having any issues.

The breathing Loop is attached by 2 quick releases which also have an additional safety connection so should not become accidentally removed - its a push button click and then a turn and click to remove.

The loop breathes from left to right - so out of your lungs comes warm air - it goes straight into the scrubber (does not cool down in a counter lung exposed to cold water to ensure maximum scrubber efficiency) travels through scrubber from top to bottom than back up around the outside of the scrubber keeping it warm and operating most efficiently and into the counter lung. From there into your lungs again.

The scrubber architecture is modular - you have a choice of scrubber: you pack yourself, pre packed scrubber or an extendair. Kevin has used a 6 inch extendair rather than the 5 inch in the Optima as he says that gives a better duration. You setup the scrubber and insert it into the bottom of the unit twist the locking mechanism and it activates the springs to ensure everything is packed and connected properly.

At the bottom of the scrubber is a valve which handles loop flood recovery and venting (in any position).

The electronics are an improved version of those found in the Boris and the URM - the displays are much much smaller and the system is intelligent. It also has rechargeable lithium batteries built in - oh and a temp stick too!

The system contains some intelligence eg when it detects that the scrubber has been removed the system knows it is in air and so calibrates the sensors - I questioned Kevin if a one point calibration in air was sufficient and he said that the system monitors the performance of the sensors and can very accurately predict when they will fail and will warn you in advance to change them.

The electronics also monitor cylinder pressure and can warn you when they might cause a problem eg not enough O2 to clear deco obligations - or not enough Dil to bailout from 40m if you were using the on board bailout capability.

The Sentinel also comes with an integrated BOV which is connected to a Poseidon x stream - the prototype was a bit large but this will shrink after protyping, however Kevin was positive that it will still be quite large as the hose bore needs to be large to pass WOB at depth and when bailing out.

Kevin told me he has tested everything on the market and the small BOVs just don't cut the mustard when it comes to bailout - I challenged him on this and he has agreed to release his testing information.

The other think to mention about the unit is that it will come with a built in foot so you can adjust the height of the unit to what you want it to be - no more achey backs on boats!

You can use any BC or Wing / back plate with the system and attached either 2l or 3l cylinders (Inspo valve or std) with cam belts so travel should be easy.

The system also fits into an overhead locker bag - by removing the cylinders and placing the hoses into the space taken up by the cylinders.

They are also making a rucksack which the unit will slip into so you can carry it on your back.

I think that's all I will add to this if I recall more.

Stuart
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 17:38   #2
caveseeker7
Stefan Besier

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS
(still owned) MK15
caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New CCRB Sentinel Rebreather aka Baby Boris

Thanks Stuart. :D
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 17:40   #3
diverklondike
Hammerhead CCR

HammerHead CCR
It's Classified
diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Kevin!!!!

Many thanks Stuart....

Can't wait for the pics!

Mark
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 17:47   #4
Decodiver

Can't wait for my unit.......

I and the other Ouroboros instructorswill be on a trip with Kevin to the Red Sea in January to qualify as instructors on the Sentinel and will obviously be posting a full report.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Old 14th September 2007, 17:48   #5
MB
Banned

MB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Stu!

Dave
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 18:09   #6
schford
RBW Founder

schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by Decodiver) View Original Post
Can't wait for my unit.......

I and the other Ouroboros instructors will be on a trip with Kevin to the Red Sea in January to qualify as instructors on the Sentinel and will obviously be posting a full report.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.
I will let you know how it swims in a few weeks time *grins*
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 19:33   #7
zoo_diver
RBW Member

zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough

Are you guys diving the unit yet -- rather is anyone diving the unit yet?
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 20:18   #8
schford
RBW Founder

I believe that only Kev and the guys at CCRB are diving the unit currently.
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 20:50   #9
silent running
Mature mouth breather

Prism
Dolphin
silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info about the unit Stuart, lots to think about.
(Offline)

Old 14th September 2007, 23:14   #10
Frankie Pellegrino
RBW Member

Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice

Thanks Stu!

I can't wait to see this kit in person
(Offline)