It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers Inspiration / Evolution Inspiration / Evolution Rebreathers

Old 25th July 2007, 19:23   #1
johnnied

johnnied is an unknown quantity at this point
Attaching Agir 6mm backplate to new Vision

OK Chaps

I need a bit of help here. I've now got a 6mm agir backplate and was told that the vision bolts would be long enough to accomodate the backplate without any modification.

Can I get it to fit? No, I can't. The bolts don't even come up flush to the inner surface of the backplate. The guys I know with this config, have the original Vision cases so I don't know if this is significant or not?

Sensible solutions please. Longer bolts, if so, from AP or Where? Or do I have to enlarge the holes in the backplate. If so how on earth do you do that (never did metalwork at school)?
(Offline)

Old 25th July 2007, 20:45   #2
cramerdn
Unbanned

cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attaching Agir 6mm backplate to new Vision

DSS makes an adapter set that goes into the evolution to make it work on a standard backplate. I have one and it works great.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=110

or for an inspiration

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=123
(Offline)

Old 25th July 2007, 21:14   #3
plazma
Just add ice & water

O2 Apocalypse
DIY, Inspiration Classic
plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all

Here's some pictures of my modifications. I got a 6mm plate like Agir.
Inspiration modifications

I drilled and threaded two pieces of 5mm steel plates. I used them instead of regular nuts. This way the back plate got more support. I bought bolts long enough and cut them to correct lenght.

-Pasi
(Online)

Old 25th July 2007, 21:15   #4
Divereh

Divereh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi John,

Iíve put the same back plate on my Vision. I think it was 40mm bolts I changed the originals for, works great. If you live in the south east of London try Eau Zone Dive Centre Home Page dive centre where I got mine from.
(Offline)

Old 25th July 2007, 21:41   #5
johnnied

Quote: (Originally Posted by Divereh) View Original Post
Hi John,

Iíve put the same back plate on my Vision. I think it was 40mm bolts I changed the originals for, works great. If you live in the south east of London try Eau Zone Dive Centre Home Page dive centre where I got mine from.
Thanks Divereh

This is where I get a bit "sheepish" - I know Martin and Vicky (trained with Martin) but didn't contact them as I knew Martin was away in America and then the Black Sea teaching. I'll call Vicky in the morning. 40mm bolts sound about right. No need for steel plate reinforcement (as in Deep Sea supply) or chasing out holes to make the ap nut sit flush on the backplate?
(Offline)

Old 25th July 2007, 21:51   #6
Divereh

Divereh is an unknown quantity at this point

No need for steel plate reinforcement (as in Deep Sea supply) or chasing out holes to make the ap nut sit flush on the backplate?[/quote]

Nope none of that, when I changed it I just took the original AP ones out and put the new ones straight in.
(Offline)

Old 25th July 2007, 22:26   #7
johnnied

Quote: (Originally Posted by Divereh) View Original Post
No need for steel plate reinforcement (as in Deep Sea supply) or chasing out holes to make the ap nut sit flush on the backplate?
Nope none of that, when I changed it I just took the original AP ones out and put the new ones straight in.[/quote]

Great! So just one more (albeit small) purchase between me and weightbelt/weightpouch -free diving in the UK. Thanks for your help. John
(Offline)

Old 25th July 2007, 22:28   #8
johnnied

Quote: (Originally Posted by cramerdn) View Original Post
DSS makes an adapter set that goes into the evolution to make it work on a standard backplate. I have one and it works great.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=110

or for an inspiration

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=123
Thanks for the tip - looks good, but on balance I'll probably opt for the local solution
(Offline)

Old 25th July 2007, 23:31   #9
cool_hardware52
Tobin George

cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold

The 11 ga (3mm) stainless plates used in the DSS adapters are not intended as reinforcements.

The are tapped to accept the through bolts and function as low profile nuts.

These tapped plates make the through bolts "Captive" and allow the thumbwheels that retain the BC and Back plate to be removed without having to remove the scrubber.

This a great convenience when tearing down the unit. By removing two thumbwheels the backplate and harness, and CL's and BC all come right off the unit.

Tobin
(Offline)

Old 26th July 2007, 00:10   #10
johnnied

Quote: (Originally Posted by cool_hardware52) View Original Post
The 11 ga (3mm) stainless plates used in the DSS adapters are not intended as reinforcements.

The are tapped to accept the through bolts and function as low profile nuts.

These tapped plates make the through bolts "Captive" and allow the thumbwheels that retain the BC and Back plate to be removed without having to remove the scrubber.

This a great convenience when tearing down the unit. By removing two thumbwheels the backplate and harness, and CL's and BC all come right off the unit.

Tobin
Ah! Now I'm beginning to understand.

What length are the bolts ie long enough for a 6mm plate + Thumbwheel?

Does this tapped plate clear the retaining clips for the carrying handle on the unit?

If I were to order, could you clarify if Inspirationas opposed to Evolution
option is correct for the Inspiration Vision? (sounds obvious, but there are some spare parts from Ambient Pressure that are catalogued as "Evolution" when they are suitable for Vision Inspo).

Thanks Tobin

John
(Offline)