It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World RBW Members General Section Surface Interval

Old 10th July 2007, 10:11   #1
divetheworld
Brent - Narked at 90

Deep Pursuit or a Camelion
and 11 others inc. a UT-240
divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to divetheworld
video of torpedo damage to a destroyer.

Ever wondered why wrecks are so broken up?

=

Breathtaking.

Last edited by divetheworld; 10th July 2007 at 10:20..
(Offline)

Old 10th July 2007, 14:43   #2
edasque
RBW Member

rEvo III mini
edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to edasque Send a message via Skype™ to edasque
Re: video of torpedo damage to a destroyer.

I am sure it's not but the destroyer looks like a model, it moves a lot in pretty calm seas in the first few frames where you see it.
(Offline)

Old 10th July 2007, 17:28   #3
Beni
RBW Member

Beni is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Beni

Good point, but I guess it's because they emptied all fuel tanks and such. Ship is probably a lot lighter then usual. Impressive tough.........
(Offline)

Old 10th July 2007, 17:56   #4
Crazyduck
RBW Member

Dolphin
Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough

I have seen this footage before.
Seems like people are cutting in other films to make it more dramatic.

This torpedo is not a torpedo from World War two or that style.
This system operates deeper and then denotes under the boat.
First it causes a massive lift which breaks the back of the ship and then the ship falls into the hole displaced by the exposition. A very effective way to break a ship into two parts.

The older systems ran into the side of the ship detonating on impact or on a specific distance. This newer system seems a lot more effective and lets the sub keep the fish deep.

This is just my simple opinion.

You want to see nasty you should see some of the new high speed micro bubble systems that are being worked on for torpedoes. Yikes…
Link- AFM-L Alfa

Also there a nasty rumor that the Iranians have purchased the Sizzler Missile from the Russians. It’s a super sonic missile.
Link- Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Link- Moskit / SS-N-22 Sunburn

Regards, Andrew

Last edited by Crazyduck; 10th July 2007 at 18:01..
(Offline)

Old 10th July 2007, 19:02   #5
Hk101gr
RBW Member

Megalodon
Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Hk101gr

Andrew is right, these are influence torpedoes tha detonate under the ships keel and all the explosive force goes up since its the path of least resistance.

The Americans and the Germans knew of this during WW2 and had torpedoes set with magnetic detonators and depth adjustment devices. However these where so unreliable that i wouldn't count that every WW2 wreck that is broken up took such a hit.
(Offline)

Old 11th July 2007, 02:36   #6
sadave
RBW Member

Sports Kiss
sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to sadave Send a message via Skype™ to sadave

The ship was the HMAS Torrens DE53, was sunk in about 2000m off the Western Australian coast, in 1999, by a Mk48 torpedo fired by the HMAS Farncomb, which was the second of the Collins Class submarines.

The footage pops up again every 6 months or so. Seen it plenty of times, but its still pretty spectacular!

I just wish they'd sunk it a bit shallower...

HMAS Torrens DE-53

MaritimeQuest - HMAS Torrens DE-53
(Offline)

Old 11th July 2007, 04:52   #7
jasonvds
oxygen nerd

jasonvds is on a distinguished road jasonvds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jasonvds

210 to the crowsnest
(Offline)

Old 11th July 2007, 05:17   #8
sadave
RBW Member

Sports Kiss
sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to sadave Send a message via Skype™ to sadave

Jason, I think you'd be thinking of the Derwent, not the Torrens.

Derwent is in approx 200m, Torrens is in over 2k...
(Offline)

Old 11th July 2007, 06:03   #9
grandizer52
TITAN-ITE

grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough

Yea...anyone can make rate...but it takes the devil to make a TORPEDO MANS MATE
(Offline)

Old 11th July 2007, 07:26   #10
Lancer4545
RebreatherWorld Sponsor

Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder
Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Lancer4545 Send a message via Skype™ to Lancer4545

Quote: (Originally Posted by sadave) View Original Post
The ship was the HMAS Torrens DE53, was sunk in about 2000m off the Western Australian coast, in 1999, by a Mk48 torpedo fired by the HMAS Farncomb
When I first saw the footage I thought, "Man am I glad I'm not in the engine room now!"

She was a fine ship in her day and just goes to show what little chance anyone below decks has with the new generation weapons.

Glad I'm a Civie now

Lance
(Offline)