It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories BOBs and Home Builds Home Build Rebreathers

Old 21st June 2007, 06:39   #1
Auto Matic

Auto Matic is on a distinguished road Auto Matic is on a distinguished road
hemispherical scrubber

Take $5 of parts, combine with kitchen scissors, sharpie marker, soldering pen and hot glue gun and bingo! Hemispherical micro scrubber.
The plastic lid was given “tooth” with the soldering pen before laying down a ring of hot glue. This was then stitched through to the other side with the same tool. Then additional hot glue applied to both sides and forced through the screen. The hot glues flexibility matches well with the lid. It is a solid assembly. I threw it. Nothing budged. I will try a filled with something water soluble drop test soon. It is airtight. I haven’t got to the mounting of the counter lung or o2 port, yet.
I was planning on packing it with 8-12 to the point of minor distension, thereby assuring it stays packed, possibly using a wad of something under the screw lid. How does the board feel about me finding the weight of the sorb, guessing the duration and then doing a supervised couch dive till headache/symptoms/passing out?
This alpha version is a couch testing rig for fun. I would like to rig a spit trap and devise a tighter fitting scrubber housing. I like having no moving parts and very little dead space. I imagine a harness for an organic respirator or cartridge gas mask would work well.
Has anyone tried a hemispherical or spherical scrubber? Axial -> Radial -> Hemispherical/spherical? Retaining the heat of reaction, w.o.b., sheer niftiness…
So what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (53.9 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg scrubber_assembled.jpg (39.8 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg scrubber_bottom.jpg (56.2 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg scrubber_side.jpg (45.5 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg scrubber_top.jpg (56.8 KB, 335 views)
(Offline)

Old 21st June 2007, 08:42   #2
Dave1w
Born Again Diver!

Kiss, JJ
Ray, APOC, rEvo
Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Dave1w
Re: hemispherical scrubber

Hmm, Interesting!

Dave
(Offline)

Old 21st June 2007, 17:07   #3
Tom Rose
Still Learning

Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by Auto Matic) View Original Post
Take $5 of parts, combine with kitchen scissors, sharpie marker, soldering pen and hot glue gun and bingo! Hemispherical micro scrubber.
The plastic lid was given “tooth” with the soldering pen before laying down a ring of hot glue. This was then stitched through to the other side with the same tool. Then additional hot glue applied to both sides and forced through the screen. The hot glues flexibility matches well with the lid. It is a solid assembly. I threw it. Nothing budged. I will try a filled with something water soluble drop test soon. It is airtight. I haven’t got to the mounting of the counter lung or o2 port, yet.
I was planning on packing it with 8-12 to the point of minor distension, thereby assuring it stays packed, possibly using a wad of something under the screw lid. How does the board feel about me finding the weight of the sorb, guessing the duration and then doing a supervised couch dive till headache/symptoms/passing out?

This alpha version is a couch testing rig for fun. I would like to rig a spit trap and devise a tighter fitting scrubber housing. I like having no moving parts and very little dead space. I imagine a harness for an organic respirator or cartridge gas mask would work well.
Has anyone tried a hemispherical or spherical scrubber? Axial -> Radial -> Hemispherical/spherical? Retaining the heat of reaction, w.o.b., sheer niftiness…
So what do you think?

What I think is that I hate you. I have been staring at those damned things for months trying to work it out in my head before I gave it a try. Nice job. I had already calculated the surface area and your work of breathing will be great.

Tom
(Offline)

Old 21st June 2007, 18:17   #4
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you think?
find a good filling method, then some spring loading to prevent channeling, and off for a testdive
paul
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...
(Offline)

Old 21st June 2007, 19:18   #5
undrh2o
Chris Miller

Dolphin (Atlantis)
IDA-71
undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough

I would like to rig a spit trap and
So what do you think?
Spit trap? Stay with the theme and use a kitchen sponge - nice work - have some green!
(Offline)

Old 21st June 2007, 22:55   #6
Skipbreather
Reads fine print (mostly)

MEGALODON
IDA71 IDA64 AKA60 BMR500 RGUFM
Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future

[quote=Auto Matic;121633
So what do you think?[/quote]

Hot glue....Sorb..... exothermic reaction....... :p
(Offline)

Old 22nd June 2007, 06:06   #7
Auto Matic

I will try a couple things to keep the sorb compacted. Packing it to the "tight as a tick" stage was my first guess, with wedging something under that screw on lid coming second. The plastic is flexible, as well as the colander mesh. Both will provide compacting force.
I will give it a run and see how warm it gets. To tell the truth, I didn't really think of it since the scrubber is small and the glue is only flowing at high temps. That's what this forum is for, right? Gracias carnal!. The beta rig will have the parts stitched with mono leader and sealed with rtv. Any problems with rtv? Any better sealants? I have patched intake manifolds and valve covers with rtv and it has worked, sort of.
If I get one to the diving stage will I receive my invitation to the Tom Rose Clever Monkey Award Banquet?
(Offline)

Old 22nd June 2007, 13:03   #8
Mdemon
SiegeEngine II

Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: hemispherical scrubber

Fantastic! Could you make two and chest mount them?

Last edited by Mdemon; 22nd June 2007 at 13:11.. Reason: <snigger>
(Offline)

Old 22nd June 2007, 13:38   #9
divetheworld
Brent - Narked at 90

Deep Pursuit or a Camelion
and 11 others inc. a UT-240
divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to divetheworld

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mdemon) View Original Post
Fantastic! Could you make two and chest mount them?
You are my hero.

Old 22nd June 2007, 17:43   #10
Auto Matic

For trim reasons I had to belt mount it. I heard, "Check out the unit on that mexican!" for the first time ever at the beach ;)
(Offline)