It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Accessories and other dive kit

Old 11th March 2007, 11:40   #1
ntokyo
Supporting Member

Copis Hammer
rEvo II mCCR
ntokyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Azimuth & VR3

Hello,
I am planning to purchase an Azimuth and would like to connect my VR3 on it. I read about P-Ports but I am not sure if the Azimuth includes one on its counter-lung in standard.

What parts do I need ?
Where can I buy the connection kit ?

In advance thank you.

Best Regards,

Nicolas
(Offline)

Old 11th March 2007, 12:43   #2
MB
Banned

MB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Azimuth & VR3

Quote: (Originally Posted by ntokyo) View Original Post
Hello, I am planning to purchase an Azimuth and would like to connect my VR3 on it. I read about P-Ports but I am not sure if the Azimuth includes one on its counter-lung in standard. What parts do I need ? Where can I buy the connection kit ? In advance thank you. Best Regards, Nicolas

The Azimuth does not come with a P-Connector when sold new. Most of the used ones already have it installed.
Installation requires purchase of a P-Connector, suggest purchase from W+S in Germany. Reliable worldwide and fair prices.

Installation requires a small pair of scissors, some aquaseal, and 5 minutes. Very well detailed here on one of my old pages:

Diver Daves Oxygauge Page

The plug-in interface for that is available from Delta-P along with the VR-3. Funny, the interface part looks strangely like something I would design...

Dave

Last edited by MB; 11th March 2007 at 12:47..
(Offline)

Old 11th March 2007, 13:12   #3
ntokyo
Supporting Member

Copis Hammer
rEvo II mCCR

Thank you for this complete and precise answer.
It sounds quite simple.
Thank you again !!
Nicolas
(Offline)

Old 11th March 2007, 18:08   #4
Ocean Adventures
RBW Member

Ocean Adventures is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a P port installed on my Azimuth. In fact Dave was kind enough to do the installation for me. It appeared to be a very simple process. I just closed my eyes as he cut into my inhalation bag and it was over in just a few seconds, About 24 hours later, just enough time to let the Aquaseal set, I was ready to dive. Works great and is a much better design than what I was first sent. Thanks again Dave.

Bill
(Offline)

Old 11th March 2007, 19:03   #5
MB
Banned

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ocean Adventures) View Original Post
I had a P port installed on my Azimuth. In fact Dave was kind enough to do the installation for me.

And you ought to mention what a *piece of shit* was sent to you as the "factory" part to add the cell, and what you did about it... :)

Dave
(Offline)

Old 11th March 2007, 20:43   #6
Ocean Adventures
RBW Member

Ocean Adventures is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dave ******) View Original Post
And you ought to mention what a *piece of shit* was sent to you as the "factory" part to add the cell, and what you did about it... :)

Dave
Dave's right, The first factory part sent with my HS Explorer was designed to attach to the overpressure valve on the inhalation bag. This cell holder was shaped like a cone approx. 2.75 to 3 inches in length, that fit a R22 sensor and screwed into the overpressure valve as a replacement to the valve. When attached to the bag the cone and cable were forced against the hard shell of the rebreather causing it to be twisted. The cell holder was never a good fit to the valve to begin with. Popping off at times if any pressure was placed against the side of the cone. This was especially a problem when performing a positive pressure check with the system. The cone would be forced against the back of the rebreather and detached on two separate attempts. Needless to say I refused to take the unit in the water fearing it would flood during a dive. Dave was nice enough to install a P-connector and manufactured a a new cell holder of his design which not only provided a secure fit, but also a very low profile to the surface of the bag even when inflated.
(Offline)

Old 11th March 2007, 23:00   #7
jaap
Normal people worry me

jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ocean Adventures) View Original Post
overpressure valve on the inhalation bag.

?? Is there an OPV on the inhale bag?

My Azi has the OPV on the exhale side connected to the loop via a lenght of hose?

EDIT: Aha, OK the pics from Tecme shows the new OPV design. Nicer looking, but having it on the inhale side is not ideal for SCR.

Last edited by jaap; 12th March 2007 at 00:14.. Reason: Aha
(Offline)

Old 11th March 2007, 23:21   #8
ntokyo
Supporting Member

Copis Hammer
rEvo II mCCR

Hello,
On the exhalation bag there is a draining port. The is no "adaptor" existing to fix an oxygen cell ? It would avoid to multiply the holes.
Cheers,
Nicolas
(Offline)

Old 12th March 2007, 00:07   #9
jaap
Normal people worry me

jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all

Quote: (Originally Posted by ntokyo) View Original Post
Hello,
On the exhalation bag there is a draining port. The is no "adaptor" existing to fix an oxygen cell ? It would avoid to multiply the holes.
Cheers,
Nicolas

That will be tricky if you want the cell to sit inside the bag.

You could always put the cell on a "T" in the inhale hose, but I would not do it.

The best is perhaps to buy (or get inspired by) one of these rather nice looking things: O2 House Azimth

If you use the Extendair scrubber there is room to modify it bit to have cells on the inhale side of it.
(Offline)

Old 12th March 2007, 00:36   #10
MB
Banned

The "factory" piece of shit 02 cell holder was for the drain plug, not the exhaust valve, and was so poorly made that it actually would pop off the rig under normal pressure test. It was not threaded correctly and was misdimensioned. A *really* sorry piece of "life support equipment". Just shameful. It would have caused an instant loop flood. Bad stuff. Maker ought to be ashamed of it. Provided with the Explorer as the "factory" solution. Caveat Emptor.

Nothing that an hour on the lathe to make a new probe and 5 minutes at the picnic table at the dive shop installing a P-Connector didn't cure though. Re-used the cable and all is well.

Mr. Becker: Be almost time to see you again! Boat goes into the water in 3 weeks.

Dave

Last edited by MB; 12th March 2007 at 00:40..
(Offline)