It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Accessories and other dive kit

Old 20th February 2007, 03:02   #1
Monkey
Head Dishwasher

Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +
Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via MSN to Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey
Is Steel 45 to big for recreational Bail out?

I belive I can get 30 more hours of OC dive time in before my rebreather gets here... so I want to practice with a big bail out.... I see most people with AL bail out bottles

I own a few Steel Faber 45's... is it unrealalistic to use them to practice slining a bottle under my arm?
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 07:05   #2
scubagrunt
CCR Diva

meg & rEvo
inspo, optima, KISS, submatix
scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is Steel 45 to big for recreational Bail out?

Quote: (Originally Posted by dartagnansmith) View Original Post
I belive I can get 30 more hours of OC dive time in before my rebreather gets here... so I want to practice with a big bail out.... I see most people with AL bail out bottles

I own a few Steel Faber 45's... is it unrealalistic to use them to practice slining a bottle under my arm?
steel will be heavy thats all. i personally would use al, but to pratice why not? you really should consider getting al 40 or so for the ccr. steel will likely pull you to the side the cylinder is on.
mel
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 08:57   #3
solocavediver

solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light

This topic is one of my little ideas.

Too much bailout is clumsy, too little will kill you.

Therefore if in doubt, carry too much. I seriously believe that too little bailout/diluent gas is the second most common cause of rebreather fatality after wrong PO2, based on incidents I have seen on the Net. (Of course I'm a cavediver and am accustomed to swimming around with 2+ large steel tanks in tow).

Just my 2c worth,

Cheers,

Charles.
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 09:19   #4
Ivon
RBW Member

Evolution
Inspiration
Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about

Quote: (Originally Posted by solocavediver) View Original Post
This topic is one of my little ideas.

Too much bailout is clumsy, too little will kill you.

Therefore if in doubt, carry too much. I seriously believe that too little bailout/diluent gas is the second most common cause of rebreather fatality after wrong PO2, based on incidents I have seen on the Net. (Of course I'm a cavediver and am accustomed to swimming around with 2+ large steel tanks in tow).

Just my 2c worth,

Cheers,

Charles.
Exactly, my question would not be is a steel 45 to big but if a steel 45 is to small? Unless you planning to dive less than 30m I would pick a 7ltr up.
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 10:43   #5
scubagrunt
CCR Diva

meg & rEvo
inspo, optima, KISS, submatix
scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light

i thought this thread was about what he can use while he practices for his ccr training. of course SAC rate and dive depth time deco obligation and general dive planning should be covered in class. i agree more is better, i am not one to go with the lets all carry 75% of what we need to get to the surface and that way as a team we can get 1.5 divers to the surface! sure maybe in crystal clear calm waters, not where i dive!:D
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 12:02   #6
Ivon
RBW Member

Evolution
Inspiration
Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about

Quote: (Originally Posted by scubagrunt) View Original Post
i thought this thread was about what he can use while he practices for his ccr training. of course SAC rate and dive depth time deco obligation and general dive planning should be covered in class. i agree more is better, i am not one to go with the lets all carry 75% of what we need to get to the surface and that way as a team we can get 1.5 divers to the surface! sure maybe in crystal clear calm waters, not where i dive!:D
Exactly, he says he wants to practice with a big stage, in my eyes a 45 is not a big stage at all, it's a small stage. If that is all you have then by all means practice with it. I wouldn't go out and buy another one untill you have talked to your instructor, he will give you a much better idea of how and why you need that size cylinder.
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 12:26   #7
Mike
Prism 'prentice

Prism
Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold

Go one better - carry two of them as bilateral sidemounts. With the weight to your side, and even, you don't notice them any where near as much as if they are traditionally slung. And two 45s is enough bailout to get you up from 20min @60m type dives. (Depending on mix, prevailing wind and deco religious beliefs of course).

A single bailout bottle is really only useful to ~40m, unless you like doing lots and lots of deco. Or you have really trustworthy friends.

Mike
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 13:12   #8
O.C.Diver
Helium Addict

O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light

Steel 45's make lousy bailouts unless you require a weight belt and are planning on removing some of the weight.

Al 40 is a much better choice because of buoyancy. If you need more gas than this, carry two as side mounts. This is what my cave diving buddy and I do. Between the 2 of us, we are carrying 160 cuft of OC gas.

If you haven't seen this, here is a good article on sidemounts (stage Bottles ) with rebreathers.

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com...rsidemount.pdf

Ted
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 13:40   #9
lbihler
RBW Member

lbihler is on a distinguished road lbihler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to lbihler

IMHO to practice slining a 45cf Steel will do, at least you need to practice clipping off and on, you'll learn the rest during the course.
Buy tanks after the course when you will know how to plan your bailout and when you will know how your trim looks like on the rebreather, then you'll know if/what you need to buy.

Laurent
(Offline)

Old 20th February 2007, 14:25   #10
ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to ScubaDadMiami

I think he is only trying to ask if the negative buoyancy of a steel versus an aluminum is enough of a difference to warrant ditching the steel tank and then buying an aluminum. This also applies if carrying two of each instead of just one.

I have only ever dove aluminums for deco/bailout. So, I can't say the final verdict.
(Offline)