+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Prep wrecks for Doria?? Suggestions??

New Member JOHNU is an unknown quantity at this point JOHNU's Avatar

Prep wrecks for Doria?? Suggestions??

My buddy and I are trying to set up some "prep" wrecks for the Doria this year so we can dive it next year sometime. I am sure that at least some of you here in RBworld have already dove her and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to recommend some wrecks around the United States/ Canada that compare.

I have heard from a few guys that have dove her that she will be gone soon (well not gone, but you know) and that we should hurry up if we are going to. Any help would be appreciated.

We have already ear marked the Jodrey, Empress, a couple in Washington, and one in Ca. that is dove very very little.

I have found several others but some suggestions from some vetran wreckers (is that a word??) will help with the final bookings.

John Uglem

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: Prep wrecks for Doria?? Suggestions??

Which "one" in CA are you referring to?

RBW Member Capt.Dan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt.Dan's Avatar

The oil wreck in 180 ft. off Jersey,and the Goulandris in 200 ft.is also a good warm up dive.

Safe Diving,

Capt.Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    Which "one" in CA are you referring to?
    I probably shouldn't have mentioned that one. We have been invited on it by another group. We were asked to keep it to ourselves. I don't mean any disrespect but I wouldn't want to betray any trust. Sorry

I can say it is a rig tender in about 240fsw.

New Member solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver is a glorious beacon of light solocavediver's Avatar

Hi

I've only once dived a wreck at helium depth (200 feet) so take what I say cum grano salis. If preparing to do more deep wrecks I would think along the lines: (1) find a shallow pool only 40 feet deep and practise line laying with a big reel. (2) Get buddy to remove face mask and practise following laid line back out in poor visibility. (3) get buddy to apply blindfold and practise following laid line in zero visibility. How do I know my gas is breathable? (4) recognising the need for large o/c backup tanks, do (1)-(3) all over again this time with two steel 95s on either side of the Inspo. Check that buoyancy and trim are OK. (5) Think carefully about safe deco. Several options are available which differ more at depth than shallow. (6) Try skills in an environment with warm water and little to no current - if one's a cavediver, a visit to the Eagle's Nest might suit. Once the location is deepish, the steel backup tanks need to have a weak trimix in them. Don't risk life and limb by cheapskate sticking to air. (7) Then enjoy the Doria. The skills with the reel and the large backup tanks will eliminate several common reasons for accidents. Most common disaster is lost in zero vis. With a RB, some sort of loop flood or electronics failure is what makes the backup a must.

cheers,

Charles.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNU  View Original Post
    My buddy and I are trying to set up some "prep" wrecks for the Doria this year so we can dive it next year sometime. I am sure that at least some of you here in RBworld have already dove her and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to recommend some wrecks around the United States/ Canada that compare.

I have heard from a few guys that have dove her that she will be gone soon (well not gone, but you know) and that we should hurry up if we are going to. Any help would be appreciated.

We have already ear marked the Jodrey, Empress, a couple in Washington, and one in Ca. that is dove very very little.

I have found several others but some suggestions from some vetran wreckers (is that a word??) will help with the final bookings.

John Uglem
    John,
    The first thing I would do is find a place with ripping current and limited viz and get used to diving in it.. Next you must get confortable going up and down a down/anchor line and hanging in a ripping current for long periods of time while keeping you stops spot on....
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

New Member duckster3d is an unknown quantity at this point duckster3d's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNU  View Original Post

John Uglem
    Some good warm up dives can be found along the mid atlantic from Hatteras with the E.M. Clark, at 250 and ussually has a ripping current, good vis and warm, but a tough wreck to dive, there are several other good wreck out of hatteras that are also very good warm up dives, then move a tad north and go out of va beach do the Ethel C, 190, low vis and cold,maybe the Ocean Venture, 160 cold vis is ussually pretty good. Then head a bit farther north going out of Ocean City and dive the Bow Mariner, 250 and cold mid vis.

You do these dives, and you have a idea of what the Doria trip would be like, also you should do several deep dives back to back, get use to being on a boat over night, and doing two deep dives each day, this is one of the things that will add a lot of stress to the Doria. Most divers go out in the am do a dive and are back at the dock by evening, there is a mojor differance staying out over night, bouncing around while trying to sleep, and such.

check out Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site and also New Page 3 for their boat schedules.

good luck
    Last edited by duckster3d; 8th February 2007 at 21:00. Reason: added info

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solocavediver  View Original Post
    (1) find a shallow pool only 40 feet deep and practise line laying with a big reel.

Nobody in their right mind on their first Doria trip will be using a reel..... snce nobody on their first trip to her belongs anywhere inside her. If you cannot find your way back to the anchor line by following the structure in the vis available..... don't leave the anchor line.

IACDT = Innapropriate Application of Cave Diving Techniques. Keep 'em out of the ocean.

Joe R. has it right when he talks about current and deco in same. Handle that and you'll be fine. Streamline your gear for a current and you'll be well found.

Dave
    Last edited by MB; 8th February 2007 at 21:34.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by duckster3d  View Original Post
    Some good warm up dives can be found along the mid atlantic from Hatteras with the E.M. Clark, at 250 and ussually has a ripping current, good vis and warm, but a tough wreck to dive, there are several other good wreck out of hatteras that are also very good warm up dives, then move a tad north and go out of va beach do the Ethel C, 190, low vis and cold,maybe the Ocean Venture, 160 cold vis is ussually pretty good. Then head a bit farther north going out of Ocean City and dive the Bow Mariner, 250 and cold mid vis.

You do these dives, and you have a idea of what the Doria trip would be like, also you should do several deep dives back to back, get use to being on a boat over night, and doing two deep dives each day, this is one of the things that will add a lot of stress to the Doria. Most divers go out in the am do a dive and are back at the dock by evening, there is a mojor differance staying out over night, bouncing around while trying to sleep, and such.

check out Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site and also New Page 3 for their boat schedules.

good luck

Hmmmmm.... I hate to state this but I disagree with the dives comparisions mentioned above. While the Doria can have great conditions, the biggest issue is that the conditions can and do change all of the time. Changing currents... Cold... Dramatic changes in vis etc... You name it and it happens. One of the best wrecks to dive in prep has already been mentioned, the Oil Wreck. For that matter if your in the Northeast US there is an area out of New Jersey called the "Mud Hole". It has that name for good reason. Typically the dives in this area are... cold.... dark.... etc...

Dive Safe....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ******  View Original Post
    Nobody in their right mind on their first Doria trip will be using a reel..... snce nobody on their first trip to her belongs anywhere inside her. If you cannot find your way back to the anchor line by following the structure in the vis available..... don't leave the anchor line.

IACDT = Innapropriate Application of Cave Diving Techniques. Keep 'em out of the ocean.

Joe R. has it right when he talks about current and deco in same. Handle that and you'll be fine. Streamline your gear for a current and you'll be well found.

Dave
    Thanks Dave. We are on the same page.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast