+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin mCCR training

Gadget guru extrordinaire tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen's Avatar
    Dive Rite O2ptima

Dräger Dolphin SCR

Dolphin mCCR training

Hi all,
    This may sound like a stupid question, but for those of you who have converted your Dolphins to CCR, how have you conducted your training? I don't plan on doing it for probably another year or so, but I'm curious how one would go about learning how to dive CCR on a Dolphin, especially since this would be a modified unit, albeit a common modification. Any particular advice? Thanks.

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Re: Dolphin mCCR training

Take a KISS course. Mode of operation is the same, and it's mode training, not rig specific training, that you need. Plus you'll like the KISS.

Dave

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

If you want to learn from a class, then take a real class. As Dave said, a KISS class suits the best.

Don't do what a local guy here did... Bought the Dolphin, bought some conversion kit, did a "mCCR course" from the guy who sold the unit to him and almost drown himself on the 2nd dive after the "course". Read the "Know your PO2" thread for details...

Gadget guru extrordinaire tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen's Avatar
    Dive Rite O2ptima

Dräger Dolphin SCR

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    If you want to learn from a class, then take a real class. As Dave said, a KISS class suits the best.

Don't do what a local guy here did... Bought the Dolphin, bought some conversion kit, did a "mCCR course" from the guy who sold the unit to him and almost drown himself on the 2nd dive after the "course". Read the "Know your PO2" thread for details...
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to prevent. I wasn't sure if there was any training that would get me ready to dive the Dolphin in CCR mode. I'll look into KISS training. Hopefully there is some in my area.

New Member John Langley is on a distinguished road John Langley is on a distinguished road John Langley's Avatar
    Dolphin, Dolphin Kiss, Kiss Cl

If you think you are up to doing the conversion then go ahead, I did, and realy enjoyed the task.
    But have you thought about selling the dolphin and buying a KISS instead, I did this also, and realy enjoyed diving the KISS much better.

Regards

J.L.

Dive Rite O2ptima

Dräger Dolphin SCR

Quote Originally Posted by John Langley  View Original Post
    If you think you are up to doing the conversion then go ahead, I did, and realy enjoyed the task.
    But have you thought about selling the dolphin and buying a KISS instead, I did this also, and realy enjoyed diving the KISS much better.

Regards

J.L.
    It's a task I think I'm up to, eventually. I've found a few really good sites that describe in detail what you have to do. I'd kinda like to do the conversion from the DIY/homebuilt aspect, but with some guided experience. I just don't want to do it without any training on mCCR. I'm not so much into the whole eCCR thing. I had a close friend of mine, who was a very experienced technical instructor die on an Inspiration a few years ago, becaused the electronics failed. He died of hypoxia, and he left a pregnant widow behind. I don't want to get into the whole mCCR/eCCR debate...god knows there are enough posts on that, but when I do it, personally it will be on the mCCR, whether it be purchased KISS or modified Dolphin KISS.

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

The Dolphin is a real good scr..possibly one of the best.
    But .. it works best as a scr.
    Buy a good ccr thats made to be a ccr... it will be cheaper in the long run and yourll live longer!

Quote Originally Posted by tamorgen  View Original Post
    It's a task I think I'm up to, eventually. I've found a few really good sites that describe in detail what you have to do. I'd kinda like to do the conversion from the DIY/homebuilt aspect, but with some guided experience. I just don't want to do it without any training on mCCR. I'm not so much into the whole eCCR thing. I had a close friend of mine, who was a very experienced technical instructor die on an Inspiration a few years ago, becaused the electronics failed. He died of hypoxia, and he left a pregnant widow behind. I don't want to get into the whole mCCR/eCCR debate...god knows there are enough posts on that, but when I do it, personally it will be on the mCCR, whether it be purchased KISS or modified Dolphin KISS.

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    Buy a good ccr thats made to be a ccr... it will be cheaper in the long run and yourll live longer!
    Don't know if one rb is better then the other, don't know if the dolphin makes a good or a bad ccr.
    all that I know is that a good configuration makes a good diver/machine unit.
    I would never change my ccr dolphin for a commercial ccr, but it took me a fuc***g long time to fing the rigth configuration.

regards

jean mi

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

Hi Jean
    Would be nice to see some pics of your ccr dolphin...

Quote Originally Posted by jmurba  View Original Post
    Don't know if one rb is better then the other, don't know if the dolphin makes a good or a bad ccr.
    all that I know is that a good configuration makes a good diver/machine unit.
    I would never change my ccr dolphin for a commercial ccr, but it took me a fuc***g long time to fing the rigth configuration.

regards

jean mi

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post

Now just where do you come off from? My converted Dolphin was cheaper than a KISS. How do you figure anyone will live longer buying a canned unit over a conversion or homebuilt?

The conversions and homebuilt units usually mean their owners are far more in tune with what makes a safe unit. The knowledge required to make or convert far exceeds that which you would get in any canned training programme as well.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast