+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Can antioxidants protect scuba divers?"

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

Re: "Can antioxidants protect scuba divers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve  View Original Post
    In short, NO. The wonders of antioxidants are massively overstated and in actuality they are about as useful as tits on a bull. Hell, I'm crap at cellular physiology and I can see that it is all marketing BS.
    I guess its more, say Cellular psychology:)

Pedant dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve  View Original Post
    In short, NO. The wonders of antioxidants are massively overstated and in actuality they are about as useful as tits on a bull. Hell, I'm crap at cellular physiology and I can see that it is all marketing BS.
    Quite.

Whilst the presumed basis of CNS O2 toxicity is free radical excess and whist antioxidants in principle, on a cellular level, reduce free radical numbers, there is not (and indeed never will be) any evidence at all to suggest that if you take x amount of Vitamin E then you are safe to dive a set point of y.

If you want to take antioxidants because they stop aging or reduce your risk of heart disease then fine. If you act on the belief that taking antioxidants reduces your risk of CNS O2 toxicity then, well, we can just think of it as evolution in action.

Dave T

Pedant dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner is a name known to all dteubner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon  View Original Post
    (Lifted from elsewhere)

Didn't understand much of this. Any of you clever medical types explain what the benefit might be?

Can antioxidants protect scuba divers?
    Right-oh.

I've read the original paper, which is interesting. It showed that a fairly provocative dive (30mins at 30m with 3minutes at 3m for deco) caused a reduction in the ability of the brachial artery to dilate in response to increased flow. This reduction was decreased (in principle improved) by taking Vitamins C and E prior to diving.

So what? Philosophically there is an major problem with ascribing significance to so called secondary markers, and no-one ever complains that "My flow mediated dilation is reduced". The real question is whether or not vitamins C and E reduce the risk of DCI. This study does not address that question in any way, and at the very most suggests that it might be worth further research.

Dave T

RBW Member dom can only hope to improve dom can only hope to improve dom's Avatar

as previously stated antioxidants reduce the number of oxygen free radicals, these free radicals act to harden colestrol in the blood ie causing blood vessels to harden, increased o2 % and as a result increased ppo2 results in tec divers esp being exposed to higher levels of free radicals, combine this with a solid red meat eating diver and your chances of a banger increase, i take a supplement which has antioxidants as well as tea and red wine being good sources. for the kind of diving we do antioxidants should help in maintaining a good general health however you would want to be some hero to increase your ppo2 levels based on drinking lots of tea

dom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2