+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Can antioxidants protect scuba divers?"

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Question "Can antioxidants protect scuba divers?"

(Lifted from elsewhere)

Didn't understand much of this. Any of you clever medical types explain what the benefit might be?

Can antioxidants protect scuba divers?

RBW Member mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff has a spectacular aura about mortenkjerulff's Avatar

Re: "Can antioxidants protect scuba divers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon  View Original Post
    (Lifted from elsewhere)

Didn't understand much of this. Any of you clever medical types explain what the benefit might be?

Hi.

In IANTD's tech manual, written by Tom Mount and 3? other people, this subject is mentioned.
    I have not read it recently, so someone correct me if I am wrong:

The idea is that antioxidants eliminate free oxygen radicals, responsible for damage to the body and thereby oxygen toxicity. The number of free radicals increase with pO2, and at some point the body is not able to keep up and take care of the number of free radicals. If one then consumes a lot of antioxidants prior to diving, the question is if it will make you more tolerant to high pO2.

Hope it helps.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Tom Mount has written lots on the subject over the years. If you get access to his older Nitrox Diver news letters you will find a lot of the origional material.

Dive Safe...

Mark

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

My understanding is the antioxidents do work. However, my understanding is also that later research/developed understanding has shown that it is more than a question of consuming them; it is also a question of the means by which they are ingested.

I believe that later information found that consuming mass quantities of supplements did not really do much. On the other hand, proper nutrition did make a difference.

Again, this is going by recollection only, and I cannot remember the source of the information.

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

This was a topic we discussed when filming The Mysterious Malady: Toward an Understanding of Decompression Injuries. Some of that discussion is covered at the end of Chapter 7 "Oxygen Under Pressure" with comment from Bennett, Moon, and Piantadosi. The answer to this specific question did not make the final cut of the DVD but the comment was made that it is not really worth the effort due to the mechanisms involved in the brain. We did not ask about vascular damage specifically.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

I was told by a doctor friend,
    that red wine is good as it eliminate free oxygen radicals
    don’t know if it,s true
    But its been fun , drinking the red wine ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 2nd February 2007 at 22:19.

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

Personally I'm doing some serious research into the benefits of single malt whiskey.

Simon

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Cusano Rojo, Mezcal brings out the bright colors of any half way decent sunset. when combined with the proper proportion of electrolytes/antioccident drink mix it at the very least makes for a nice post diver refreshment... but i can't say it will extend your life of protect you from toxing, but then again, it's a bit like PO2 balance, too much or too little can be a real drag.
    Last edited by Gill Envy; 2nd February 2007 at 21:08.

Gill Envy

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

(Lifted from elsewhere)

In short, NO. The wonders of antioxidants are massively overstated and in actuality they are about as useful as tits on a bull. Hell, I'm crap at cellular physiology and I can see that it is all marketing BS.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve  View Original Post
    In short, NO. The wonders of antioxidants are massively overstated and in actuality they are about as useful as tits on a bull. Hell, I'm crap at cellular physiology and I can see that it is all marketing BS.
    I'm tempted to agree with you. Comes in the same section as my toothpaste which currently declares that it offers "protection against Time" (I sh*t you not).

Dr. Who will be delighted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast