Closed Thread

Thread: Is this legitimate - sounds like a scam

RBW Member Jim Culter is an unknown quantity at this point Jim Culter's Avatar

Is this legitimate - sounds like a scam

Can anyone in Spain verify this company exists?

Ebay list for AP Evolution Rebreather (180076383061)
    bidders are hidden
    Quoted me a shipping price from Spain of $68 to Florida with insurance, sounds too cheap.
    Add states item is located in Chicago.

Shipping from spain by
    VINTAGE SALES
    e-sales@vintage-sales.org
    www.vintage-sales.org
    Calle Basia Blanca No 12 1A,
    11002 Cadiz,
    SPAIN
    Phone/Fax: 0034 610938112

Jim

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Re: Is this legitimate - sounds like a scam

Things that look dodgy are zero feedback, private listing, no trackable payment method offered, no explanation why they're in the US but item is in Spain. $68 for postage for a 30kg item is unbelievably cheap. Should be several hundred dollars in my experience.

Try asking them for the unit's service history if it has one and the unit ID numbers, then ring AP and ask them about the unit.

It's possible that it's genuine but it smells fishy to me.
    Last edited by abowie; 19th January 2007 at 19:07.

Loving Silent Submersion Micronics is an unknown quantity at this point Micronics's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, FGT SCR

Draeger Ray, FGT-mCCR, RG-UFM

Thumbs down Re: Is this legitimate - sounds like a scam

I beleive if the unit is actully in spain, it should be listed on the eBay page. If he's not following the rules, hiding bids and doesn't accept trackable payments i'd advice not to do business with him.

RBW Member sddiverrob is an unknown quantity at this point sddiverrob's Avatar

Item location is in Chicago per the ebay page but will ship from Europe? Also check out the payment options, shady payment options such as money order only and no paypal always raise red flags for me.

Rob

New Member empressdiver is an unknown quantity at this point empressdiver's Avatar

I think the way to handle a risky purchase may be to structure it somewhat like a typical real estate deal.

The purchaser could retain a lawyer or someone from a local dive shop to act as his agent to initially inspect the RB and then attend the closing where the funds are handed over in exchange for the RB which is also handed over to the agent at the same time. The closing could take place at a bank where the purchaser has previously wired the funds to be available to the agent. The agent would take the RB with him and then ship it to the purchaser without any further involvement of the seller.

This procedure could be modified to suit the situation, but basically the safeguard is that the funds and the RB are physically exchanged at the same time and the purchaser has an independent, reliable person acting for him. This procedure will cost, but it will take the risk out of the transaction.

RBW Member joesympatico is an unknown quantity at this point joesympatico's Avatar

Cool Re: Is this legitimate - sounds like a scam

if there is ANY hint of a scam it is a scan
    if it walks like a duck..............................

Closed Thread