+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Backmount or shoulder mound CL ??

New Member Triton is on a distinguished road Triton is on a distinguished road Triton's Avatar

Backmount or shoulder mound CL ??

Hallo

Does it make a difference if the CL are at the back like a KISS or MK15 or on the front like YBOD ?

I understand that you get 'puffed cheeks' if diver is upside down with a KISS , and doing this is also not recommended with YBOD style CL.Is this only true with a KISS?
    What are the pros and cons pls?
    I rather have a simple harness than a cluttered chest.

rgds

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

CL Location

I have been diving my KISS Classic for about 8 months now and have learned how to keep loop volume at a minimum which eliminates chipmunk cheeks.

I have found that keeping minimum volume in my loop is very important and makes most of the things that we manage with a CCR rebreather much easier to deal with.

In my opinion, the back mounted CL's on the KISS units are not a negative design.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    Hallo

Does it make a difference if the CL are at the back like a KISS or MK15 or on the front like YBOD ?

I understand that you get 'puffed cheeks' if diver is upside down with a KISS , and doing this is also not recommended with YBOD style CL.Is this only true with a KISS?
    What are the pros and cons pls?
    I rather have a simple harness than a cluttered chest.

rgds
    Having dove dolphin for a couple of years I found when diving ybod the work of breathing was a breeze due to over shoulder CL. It is definately the way to go. I think the recommendation for staying upright has more to do with the water trap in an inspiration that the CL position. In fact when I was training I was encouraged to do that (go upside down) at the beginning of the dive to experience it but was cautioned I could wet the O2 sensors if I tried it after condesation had accumulated.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    I understand that you get 'puffed cheeks' if diver is upside down with a KISS
    Why do you think that ?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Never tried either KISS, but Dolphin, MK16, YBOD and PRISM.
    There are differences between each of them. The MK16 breathes better than the Dolphin, I asume because you don't exhale into a full bag and activate the OPV all the time. Also, the scrubber designs are way different and have part in it.

The PRISM breathes nicer than the YBOD, could be the different scrubber design or different DSV.

But either ots lunged CCR has considerably lower WOB than the backmounted ones. Also, hydrostatic differences when changing position are much almost negligible, while turning on your back with the 16 makes you look lile you're eating its tanks.

The only advantage that the backmounted lungs have is that they're encased and hence protected. And your chest is free of CL and assorted hoses. For diving scenarios (squeezing through caves, handling large camera housings etc) it really is the way to go, but I wouldn't trade in the easy breathing unless there is a good reason.

Decodiver
    The hydrostatic loading on the Mk16 was severe, hence it's refusal by the RN.

IIRC rightly they even videoed the effects to prove this.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

New Member Triton is on a distinguished road Triton is on a distinguished road Triton's Avatar

OTS CL vs at the back...

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Why do you think that ?
    Hi there

Well I simply read it on their website and nobody I know personally has a backmounted CL.

I favour a simple harness for OC, the clutter in front with the Cl is something I have to live with.

rgds

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    The hydrostatic loading on the Mk16 was severe, hence it's refusal by the RN.
    I thought the Royal Navy uses Carleton CCBA (2000 or 2001 model), which has the same layout as the MK16.
    Shouldn't the WOB/hydrostatic differences be about the same?

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Triton, the best I can recommend is try any unit before you buy.
    Take an intro with an instructor. Could very well be the WOB of
    a unit with rear mounted lungs works just fine for you, and you
    can have the unencumbered chest.

Practicality

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Triton, the best I can recommend is try any unit before you buy.
    Take an intro with an instructor. Could very well be the WOB of
    a unit with rear mounted lungs works just fine for you, and you
    can have the unencumbered chest.
    Yes I am looking forward to a try dive :)

Due to practicality though, i have to buy the YBOD as there are no other brands here and only insp instructors.
    Parts are easy to get and AP seems to have a super support.

I could also get a dolphin or azimuth here but dont think that I should tamper with CC conversions until I have gained good experience with off the shelf RB's

rgds

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast