+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BMR 500 assembly help

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

BMR 500 assembly help

Hi,

I bought a box of BMR 500 parts and am having some difficulty in figuring out how the front of the center section mounts to the top of the lower half of the shell.

The front mounting bracket looks like it mounts to the outside of the shell (it is contoured that way) but I am not sure how to go about mounting it. It only has one hole for this purpose (there is no hole in the shell as it is brand new and never had a center section mounted to it) but I can't see how you can put a bolt there given the small space between the center section and the shell.

Does anyone have any pictures from the front aspect showing this mounting?

Does the bracket attach to a stud that I do not have?

I am not explaining myself well

I will take some pics tomorrow and post.

Thanks,

Marc

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Re: BMR 500 assembly help

Quick question from those that dive Mk 15.XX or BMR type rebreathers.

I am in the process of gathering a list of Swagelok parts to assemble the gas path plumbing on my BMR 500 and was wondering whether it is necessary to have check valves in the lines feeding the 02 and diluent addition to the center section as they both go through the same fitting on the center section. This is for the manual add (bypass valves) of diluent and 02 as well as for the metered 02. I will not be using a solenoid for metering in 02, rather I am going to use the Jetsam Kiss valve.

If check valves are required, does anyone happen to know the Swagelok part number? I find the Swagelok catalog confusing when searching online for specific parts .

Thanks,

Marc

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Hi Marc-

Sifted thru hard drive and came up w/ attached pic of BMR plumbing.

Couple of notes-

1. What you might be calling “check valves” are in fact 60 micron filters. They are the very first items seen by gas leaving the 1st stage regs, both dil and O2. They were stock items in both the MK15 and the BMR500 and are indeed stock Swagelok parts. If memory serves the part number is SS-4F-60.

2. If you look at the plumbing pic carefully you will see the gas paths bring the output of each of the manual add valves together in a T. The output from that T then becomes the input to a second T that is adjacent to the O2 solenoid. The output of the O2 solenoid is the other input to this second T. The output of the second T (containing the combined output from both manual add valves and the O2 solenoid) is then plumbed into the center section. The other, smaller line going into the center section feeds the Schrader valve that serves the ADV function.

3. Your set up may not have all the parts pictured. My rig had the optional Whitey 3-way valve that allowed selection of off board diluent. It is the boxy stainless block in the lower left of pic.

Not sure what you mean by ‘front mounting bracket’. Post pic & will try to help.

Best,
    Ken
    Attached Images

Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that pic and the info on the check valves and filters.

Below is a pic of the front bracket of the center section as it sits on the lower part of the housing. (I know there is a bolt missing from the bracket where it attaches to the center section:) - I am sourcing that part)

What I am unsure of is how this bracket bolts to the housing. There is not enough room behind the housing to place a bolt. I am pretty sure that there is supposed to be some type of stud that slides through the bracket hole, and then the center section just gets bolted in using the two rear brackets on the rear of the center section.

Do you have a pic of the front of your BMR showing this attachment?

Thanks,

Marc
    Last edited by S. Marc; 1st October 2007 at 02:29.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

Hi Marc-

It would appear that you have mounted your brackets 60 degrees off of how the factory mounted mine. Mine had 3 brackets. One was mounted under the left/ exhale hose connection The other 2 were 120 degrees off of the first. I’d suggest you do the same. Plug any holes you’ve made w/ either 3M 2216 ScotchWeld or epoxy putty, then drill & tap holes where needed.

Ken
    Attached Images

Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Dan,

Again, thanks for the pics. Looks like there were a number of modifications made to the newer BMr's from the one I got. I was told that mine was a very early version.

The mounting tabs on mine were put on by the factory and all holes have brass inserts in them containing the threads.

The differences between our rigs seem to be in the center section lid cable connections and mounting brackets. Everything else seems the same so far.

I have about 6 extra mounting brackets that are the same as yours, so will drill and tap for easier mounting.

If you have any other pics of your rig that you think may help in assembly could you email them.

Thanks again,

Marc

MEGALODON MK15.5

Quote Originally Posted by S. Marc  View Original Post
    Dan,

If you have any other pics of your rig that you think may help in assembly could you email them.

Thanks again,

Marc
    PM w/ "real" email & I'll send what's still on HD.

Ken

Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Hi Ken,

You have a PM

Thanks,

Marc

Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Re: BMR 500 Plumbing - Hard or soft

Okay,

Should I plumb this rig hard or soft ;)

I have been to the Swagelok distributor in town, and I am now torn between using the stainless steel hard plumbing for diluent versus push on swagelok hoses and fittings and quick disconnnects. I have a nice new set of factory bent stainless tubing for the BMR in the box of parts I got, but am not sure which direction to go.

Anyone feel that it would be better to hard plumb versus using hoses?

The only reason I am thinking of using hoses versus stainless steel tubing is to reduce the number of connections/fittings and because the 1st stages will not be hard mounted to the chassis like the factory BMR setup.

My plan is to use the BMR diluent manual add / bypass that came in my box of parts, but to connect via quick disconnects to the 1st stage for both bypass and ADV.

The O2 will be running through the Jetsam KISS valve I got from Denzel, which is set up nicely with swagelock push on connections and hoses, and not to use the 02 BMR bypass valve for 02 at all.

So as to keep with the original design of the rig and not to add a third addition port to the center section, I will machine or purchase a T fitting for both the 02 KISS valve and for the diluent bypass so both can enter the center section via one center section port, and the ADV will have it's own dedicated hose straight from the 1st stage connected via a QC6 or QC4. This should significantly reduce the number of connections in the plumbing.

A Whitey valve will allow for the use of off board diluent via QC6 or QC4 connectors, and may be hard plumbed to the Diluent bypass just because of the lack of space in this area and the short distance between the Whitey valve and the Diluent bypass.

Any thoughts?

Marc

New Member wnabee is an unknown quantity at this point wnabee's Avatar

Hi - Just saw your posts on BMR assembly. I bought Ken's BMR500 and can supply you with more pix if need be. Let me know. Phil
    Also - I am finding I like the hard plumbing- comes apart for service readily and goes back together reliably with no fuss/muss- what's not to like- as long as you already have it I would suggest using it- you'll probably be surprised at how glad you'll be you did.
    Last edited by wnabee; 15th February 2007 at 17:38.

+ Reply to Thread