+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Making the Evolution Taller

New Member pierrevz is an unknown quantity at this point pierrevz's Avatar

Making the Evolution Taller

When I made my decision to purchase the Evolution over the Inspiration, I was primarily concerned with travel weight. I knew from experience, the 2 hour scrubber rating was much below the practical limit, especially when monitored electronically.

The issue I have is that the Evolution is short for my frame, so when I set the unit down behind my seat on a typical dive boat, there is a space of 10 cm or more between the bottom of the unit and the seat. Similarly, putting on the unit, I need to crouch down with my backside below the seat to fit my arms through.

What I would like to do, is fabricate some kind of light-weight spacer to fit under the unit, out of plastic or metal, which could be a protected storage compartment (for light canister, lift bag, dry suit cylinder etc.) during the dive. I do not envision it to be fully closed off but rather open at the sides and perhaps the back.

Has anyone done this to their unit yet? I'd love to see some pictures or get some ideas as to materials and design.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrevz
    Has anyone done this to their unit yet? I'd love to see some pictures or get some ideas as to materials and design.
    As mentioned, I have made a couple of frames for the Insp/Evo following the concept of the DT box (use any size tanks, etc) with my requirements of also:

- mount tanks upright or inverted on the same frame
    - light weight for travel
    - sit up high on bench

At the moment, the frames are in 2 different SS rod thicknesses to test the buoyancy characteristics, etc. But the finished version will also be made in aluminum, or thin rod, for travel.

As soon as I have tested the frames this week and make some changes, I will post pictures.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Enrique Alvarez at Diving Equipment Specialties has build a variety of frames out of ss and titanium, from a small bailout tank/stand to Joe Radomski's titanium frame. Having seen the latter, his craftsmanship is excellent. His newest creation, shown at the link above, is made from aluminum. Getting it sized for the Evo shouldn't be a problem.

Then again, Phi has come up with some intresting and well thought out solutions, so I would wait to see his latest creation before making any decisions. ;)

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    I know I won't be able to compete with Enrique on quality, but price will be my advantage...

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar
    Tech blue also makes a nice aftermarket frame
    Martin
    When I made my decision to purchase the Evolution over the Inspiration, I was primarily concerned with travel weight. I knew from experience, the 2 hour scrubber rating was much below the practical limit, especially when monitored electronically.

The issue I have is that the Evolution is short for my frame, so when I set the unit down behind my seat on a typical dive boat, there is a space of 10 cm or more between the bottom of the unit and the seat. Similarly, putting on the unit, I need to crouch down with my backside below the seat to fit my arms through.

What I would like to do, is fabricate some kind of light-weight spacer to fit under the unit, out of plastic or metal, which could be a protected storage compartment (for light canister, lift bag, dry suit cylinder etc.) during the dive. I do not envision it to be fully closed off but rather open at the sides and perhaps the back.

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar

Cool Frames

I also received an email from rebreather mailing list (i think so many forums) The home builder posted a web site for hard pack back packs that motorcyclists use. With a few modifications he claimed would make a perfect custom case, hope this helps

Martin

New Member pierrevz is an unknown quantity at this point pierrevz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    As soon as I have tested the frames this week and make some changes, I will post pictures.
    I would be interested in seeing what you create. I am interested in how you secure the frame to the Evolution shell. ...and price does matter.

[QUOTE=caveseeker7]Enrique Alvarez at [URL=http://www.techdivetools.com/...[/QUOTE]

Enrique's design is interesting with a backplate built in. Something I hadn't considered. It looks sturdy enough to hold the weight of the unit and to survive impact.

Quote Originally Posted by dive2dive2000
    Tech blue also makes a nice aftermarket frame
    Martin
    Where can I find pictures. I coudn't find anything on the tech-blue.com site.

Quote Originally Posted by dive2dive2000
    ... hard pack back packs that ... would make a perfect custom case
    Any idea is worth looking into. The only stipulations are that I need to be able to build or buy it. It needs to be safe, functional and not look out of place on the boat or in the water.

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar
    If it's cost effective you want...
    Apparently a few kiss owners have gone this route.
    Go to the DIY store, get one of those cheap plastic single steps, put it on the bench put the Evo on top of it, and voila the evo is now 10" or so higher.

Simon A

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Where can I find pictures. I coudn't find anything on the tech-blue.com site.
    In the Rebreather World Gallery ;)
    Has it's own thread somewhere, too.

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Theres Larry again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast