+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New CCR Diver in Maine

RBW Member dkieley is an unknown quantity at this point dkieley's Avatar

New CCR Diver in Maine

Hello Everyone,

I have been certified CCR or over a year now, and still having trouble getting a rebreather. Mostly my dilema is what to buy. Otherwise, I am sold on the ideas and advantages considering that on my last tri-mix dive I weighed approx 345 lbs getting into the water (I only weigh 185 lbs).

I am also looking for other rebreather divers in the ME area.

Bottom line...I want a rebreather!!!!!!!!!!!

The more I read on RBW, speak with my instructor, "listen" to my wife ( ), speak to other instructors, the more confused I get.....Here are my throughts and I am looking for feedback:

My personal choices are down to the Insp. w/vision versus the Optima:

1) Optima means more training (I am currently certified on the Insp.) and more $$ for that training.
    2) The operating costs of the Optima appear higher with the cartridges? Does anyone have ideas on how much?
    3) I cannot be flexible with cylinders on the Inspiration. (Does anyone have changes on the frame for other cylinder changes?)
    4) The inspiration costs over $2K more....this is where my wife has some input (not than I am really "listening".....let's be honest...I don't have a choice)
    5) The comments on the Inspiration electronics have me a little worried. I own a HP48G calculator which is more complicated and more reliable according to the comments I have read on the vision electronics. Am I missing something here....are there any "reliable" failure statistics?

I don't have much experience diving onthe rebreather, so any constructive comments on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks..and I hope to be totally bubble free soon!!!!!!!

Doug

RBW Member jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar's Avatar

Re: New CCR Diver in Maine

Hi Doug and welcome to the board.

I'm a little confused as how you can be a certified CCR diver, yet not sure which unit you want to go with? To my knowledge you need to be certified on a per unit basis...mean, certified to dive the Optima. If you want to move over to the Inspiration you would need to take another class for that.

Could you explain please?

Thanks,

Jason

RBW Member dkieley is an unknown quantity at this point dkieley's Avatar

Sorry about the confusion:

I am currently certified on the Inspiration, but I am really interested in the Optima at the same time. I plan to do crossover training in January some time to get a better feel for the unit.

Thanks

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

The EAC is a source of controversy for some reason. Some love 'em; some hate 'em.

If you are diving regularly or on longer dives, they will cost a little more since you will use each one up efficiently. If you dive infrequently, the cost goes up because you will use them partially, and then you will have to change to a new one for your next dive outing (since you will have waited too long between outings).

Compared to how much I was spending on Helium for open circuit, I consider myself way ahead of the game using the EAC. I also like the safety aspects and efficiency of the EAC.

+ Reply to Thread