+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Review of the Evolution by MAD

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Review of the Evolution by MAD

This thread is to discuss MADs Evo review.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/inspiration-evolution-rebreathers/895-review-evolution-mad.html

Thanks MAD

Stuart
    Last edited by Louby Lou; 26th December 2005 at 18:16.

Decodiver

Thumbs down Buzzer in the Case

The only issue I have with this write-up is the statement that most people keep their buzzer in the case.

This is not true for the considerable amount of Inspiration divers I know, nor is it advised practice by any Training Agency I am aware of.

Do not keep your buzzer in the case, you will not hear it, and want you cannot hear cannot help you. Fit it next to your head.

(MAD pointed out he couldn't hear it himself).

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Is it really that much of a big deal? The Meg does not even have one and I remember Kevin Gurr telling me that they did not use one as sound was one of the first senses to be shut down if there is a problem.

Stuart

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Is it really that much of a big deal? The Meg does not even have one and I remember Kevin Gurr telling me that they did not use one as sound was one of the first senses to be shut down if there is a problem.Stuart
    Yes it is a big deal because it could save your life.

It is there to alert you to a problem and is a good piece of kit.

It will alert you audibly to a plethora of problems on the Inspiration/Evolution.

Your hearing won't shut down if you have low voltage on a battery, cell error, or are just passing low or high O2 boundaries.

It is designed to be placed on the T-piece ADV fitting.

It is a big deal.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

RBW Writer MAD is on a distinguished road MAD is on a distinguished road MAD's Avatar
    100% agree with Mr Cooper here...and indeed I always did on the Inspie...

But this is a review of my (very, very brief) experiences of the Evo... not the Inspiration...

It is true for the majority of Evo divers I've come across (not all by any m,eans... and I have come across many, maybe 8 or 9)... an exception being DaveB. The problem with the Evo is that it's a struggle to squeeze it onto the ADV if you've got one fitted... for some reason it doesn't fit over the threads... it can be forced on with patience though... and being an Evo it isn't long enough to wear on the exhale T-piece (like wot I did on the Inspie)

Oddly enough, after playing today, I've now got it sorted so that it fastens to the carrying handle... I just can't bear to put the strain on the threads of the ADV.

Still... totally agree Dave, not a good idea to have it inside the case, but it looks like AP have made it so this is the easiest place if you've got an ADV...(& who hasn't) Hopefully on later units it'll eithe fit the ADV without forcing or be long enough to go on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    The only issue I have with this write-up is the statement that most people keep their buzzer in the case.

This is not true for the considerable amount of Inspiration divers I know, nor is it advised practice by any Training Agency I am aware of.

Do not keep your buzzer in the case, you will not hear it, and want you cannot hear cannot help you. Fit it next to your head.

(MAD pointed out he couldn't hear it himself).

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

RBW Writer MAD is on a distinguished road MAD is on a distinguished road MAD's Avatar
    Yes it is a big deal because it could save your life.

It is there to alert you to a problem and is a good piece of kit.
    As a 3rd level of warning, after the handset and the HUD... it's critical... if you are distracted enough to miss both of those (particularly the HUD) then you need something that's going to kick your ass to make sure you notice.

Mind you... big red falshing lights in front of my face are pretty hard to miss.

It is designed to be placed on the T-piece ADV fitting.
    If this was really true... I would expect it to fit... maybe it is just an early production problem.

Cheers,

Mark

Decodiver
    Hi MAD,

I fitted mine no problem to the ADV on my Evolution before I flogged it.

If however you have a problem fitting it, a gentle bit of filing around the inner of the plastic ring should solve the problem. Also as a user it would be good for you to point this out to APD.

I have seen all sorts of crazy ways of diving the Inspiration from putting the spare handset into the case, the alarm as well and some twat who had cross threaded the convoluted hose fittings so used cable ties.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper

Decodiver
    Mad,

I have PM'd Martin Parker to make him aware of this thread and the possible design fault.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Decodiver

Thumbs up Not many manufacturers will get back to you at 10.40pm on a Sunday night.

Martin got back to me very quickly indeed.

The Evolutions are now shipped with a Velcro retainer as opposed to the plastic ring.

If anyone would like to get hold of one for this purpose and has the plastic ring give Nicky Finn a call on 00 44 1326 563 834.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

MAD, very nicely written article, and good pictures.
    I've got a thing for well lit and focused images.

Got a few questions/comments:
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD
    ... theoretically you could cut off the handset and still monitor the unit on the HUD
    Are you sure that the elecrtoncs will work properly with a severed cable?
    No shorting out when saltwater contacts the bare ends, that sort of thing?

The electronics now incorporate a full Nitrox or Trimix decompression computer...
    From what I understand both nitrox and trimix deco capability are options.

... the battery compartment (modified from the Inspiration to counteract “battery bounce”)
    What about sealing the battery compartment? Gas proof at 1ata or still (more or less) ambient pressure?

... but it can be difficult to remove the head from the scrubber... and when I say difficult... I mean VERY difficult
    I know that problem. :o
    Am not sure how much good it will do on an Evo, but deliberate amounts of grease work quite well on the PRISM. ;)

Dave, good job too on the velcro retainer info. :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast