+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just out of curiosity

New Member mothball is an unknown quantity at this point mothball's Avatar

Question Just out of curiosity

How many Draeger Dolphin divers were "drydocked" and for how long because of the Draeger-Aqualung merge. I am just wondering because the dealer I bought my rebreather from couldn't get the proper overhaul parts for almost 2 years. I bought my Dolphin in March '03, dove 8 dives, then life happpened. Then I was getting ready to dive again, so I took it to the dealer thinking that he would give a it quick look-over and an okay sign. Instead he said it would be a good idea if I had it overhauled because it sat idle for 9 months. Well, my attitude was, and still is, that this is "just" life support systems we're talking about here so maybe I better take good advice, especially being such a novice with the system. That is when I started to get the "Aqualung and Draeger are having difficulties right now and they don't have overhaul kits available" line. I guess the happy ending is that I now have my Dolphin back and in working order. I have six dives with it since I got it back. Did anybody else have such an ordeal with their Dolphins in the US or abroad?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

While I don't have one, and wouldn't anymore if I had, there were problems here in CA too. If memory serves me right, they started about a month or so before Dräger Dive was eliminated and lasted for about 4 or 5 months after Aqualung took over.

Before the change in distribution (it's not a merger, just a distribution agreement for Dräger recreational diving equipment) their US service was in bad shape, and according to the stores that hasn't changed. I doubt any other RB company could survive providing such lousy service.

Somewhat different in Europe, or at least Germany, where Aqualung seems to make an effort to sell SCRs. Ads, travelling with a trailer full of units to intros around D, CH and AUS, that sort of thing.

If you need parts and can't get them from your LDS, give either W+S Water Safety or TecMe in Germany a shot. Both listed in the links, both ship ww, both have Dräger OEM parts. W+S even has exploarory view diagrams on their website with parts numbers (they specialize in OEM parts, TecMe has them but specializes in custom bits).

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Somewhat different in Europe, or at least Germany, where Aqualung seems to make an effort to sell SCRs. Ads, travelling with a trailer full of units to intros around D, CH and AUS, that sort of thing.
    Stefan, I'm assuming your talking about AUT, not AUS?

Coz certainly nothing like that has ever happened her in AUS, since Aquanaut (Oz distributor or Aqualung) took them over. At the time of the merger, I had 5 units in my shop, once Aquanaut took over, they pulled the units out of my shop (not an aquanaut dealer), gave them to another shop, who did nothing with them for 6 months (I had the only instructor in the state), and then sold them at cost to an Instructor from Norway...

Rumour has it, that Drager and Aquanaut are about to part ways again here in Oz (thank christ), as Drager are pissed off at Aquanaut for not doing anything with the units... except pushing the price up by almost 2k, and ban selling any parts that could potentially be used for homebuilding... Just ask Tubby about the grief he copped over an article in a Diving Mag over here...

Watch this space!

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

My apologies, I did mean AUT (Austria).

I'm not suprised that Dräger hasn't been particulary good to the recreational dive market, it's a tiny portion of their business. Actually, I'm suprised they have been messing around with it as long as they have.

I read about the Aquanaut troubles, that's even worse than the usual lack of customer support. Although I can think of one dive shop here that stopped selling Drägers because they weren't Aqualung dealers and refused to carry the usual recreational BCs and stuff.

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mothball
    How many Draeger Dolphin divers were "drydocked" and for how long because of the Draeger-Aqualung merge. I am just wondering because the dealer I bought my rebreather from couldn't get the proper overhaul parts for almost 2 years. I bought my Dolphin in March '03, dove 8 dives, then life happpened. Then I was getting ready to dive again, so I took it to the dealer thinking that he would give a it quick look-over and an okay sign. Instead he said it would be a good idea if I had it overhauled because it sat idle for 9 months. Well, my attitude was, and still is, that this is "just" life support systems we're talking about here so maybe I better take good advice, especially being such a novice with the system. That is when I started to get the "Aqualung and Draeger are having difficulties right now and they don't have overhaul kits available" line. I guess the happy ending is that I now have my Dolphin back and in working order. I have six dives with it since I got it back. Did anybody else have such an ordeal with their Dolphins in the US or abroad?
    As has been mentioned, W&S and tecme are great sources for Drager parts. I recently ordered parts from both, and they got here within about 3 weeks, and I'm on a small caribbean island where nothing gets here quick. The W&S site is beautifully done for being able to see the exploded drawings and get exactly the right part number for what you want.

If I need Drager parts again, I'll go to them right off.

Darlene

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    My apologies, I did mean AUT (Austria).

I'm not suprised that Dräger hasn't been particulary good to the recreational dive market, it's a tiny portion of their business. Actually, I'm suprised they have been messing around with it as long as they have.
    It was exactly the opposite here... When I was dealing directly with Drager, they couldn't have been more helpful! All the marketing / promo material I could possibly ask for, they were doing multiple full page ads in all the different dive mags every month, gave us demo units, manequins for the shop to put them on, free sorb for courses, you name it, they did it!

It wasn't till the Aqualung deal, that ALL advertising stopped, and so did the support also...

New Member mothball is an unknown quantity at this point mothball's Avatar
    Wooo!!! I thank you all for answering up. I was beginning to think I was the only one who had "the wool pulled over my eyes". I did look up all the sites on RBW, and I found all kinds of great stuff I'm spending my hard-earned money on, but no overhaul kits for the Dolphin. Thanx again for answering up.

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

In South Africa things were dismal and quite frankly, they still are.

When the Aqualung agents in South Africa took over from Drager they didn't take over any stock or spare parts. As a matter of fact they STILL do not keep stock.

A couple of divers clubbed together and brought all the spares that Drager had and we have been using that in the mean time. What we don't have we get from Danshop. As far as we were able to ascertain there are at least 100 units ( Atlantis, Rays and Dolphins ) in the country.

New Member tech123 is an unknown quantity at this point tech123's Avatar
    try goingunder.net in MN

+ Reply to Thread