+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Heating systems - many deco risks?

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Re: Heating systems - many deco risks?

Quote Originally Posted by AD_ward9  View Original Post
    That is correct. That is why it has not been withdrawn I understand. Also for non-deco dives, people can go to the surface. The fire inside the unit would mean that it is not suitable for deco dives, because unplugging still leaves a severe burn.

Interesting comments from those who saw the 3rd degree burns on divers in the 1970s, that the diver did not realise they were cooking. They too had means to turn the system off. When the fire starts it burns the nerves, so the diver does not feel it after that.

Alex

Cave nut!
    Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris's Avatar
    rEVO

KISS, Flex, Satori, Mk15.5, ++

Fair chance you will feel it as it slowly burns down to full thickness depth. But I guess if you were cold enough to start with you could get a bad burn. Certainly no problem disconnecting the Typhoon if you DO detect a problem.

Depsite your concerns there are plenty of divers using thermal suits very successfully. Look at Richard Lundgren with his Narvik wreck diving, the EKKP also I believe. Lots of divers around Australia in cold water caves. Next week 3 of us will be trying some Typhoons in 7 degress water for 4-6 hour dives. I'll let you know how many skin grafts I end up with.

Full report to follow the trip I promise.

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Harris  View Original Post
    Fair chance you will feel it as it slowly burns down to full thickness depth. But I guess if you were cold enough to start with you could get a bad burn. Certainly no problem disconnecting the Typhoon if you DO detect a problem.

Depsite your concerns there are plenty of divers using thermal suits very successfully. Look at Richard Lundgren with his Narvik wreck diving, the EKKP also I believe. Lots of divers around Australia in cold water caves. Next week 3 of us will be trying some Typhoons in 7 degress water for 4-6 hour dives. I'll let you know how many skin grafts I end up with.

Full report to follow the trip I promise.
    Your sample is way too short to expect grafts, but one thing I would point out, when these things go, they GO. If you keep the pad inside dry, you should be fine. Also fresh water is much safer than sea water with these things.

Happy diving. Must be fairly deep for cold water in Australia. We look forward to the interesting trip report.

Alex

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Quote Originally Posted by AD_ward9  View Original Post
    ...Happy diving. Must be fairly deep for cold water in Australia. We look forward to the interesting trip report.
    Alex
    Thats why they are heading to NZ.;)
    Good luck guys, safe travels.
    Wiz

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar

7 deg ? 4-5h ? Nz ?

All my best in the P...resurgence or the nearby spring mention by D.A. :D

PS Jerome, still alive after 4 years of using the Typhoon in non salt water

Cave nut!
    Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris's Avatar
    rEVO

KISS, Flex, Satori, Mk15.5, ++

Ah there are no secrets anymore! The internet has made the world a very small place Jerome!

Hopefully we will find the hole at 130m that carries on in the Pearse...all that water must be coming from somewhere.

Rick Stanton and Dave Apperley will probably have already scooped the cave by the time I get there!
    Last edited by Richard Harris; 6th March 2007 at 11:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5