+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Heating systems - many deco risks?

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Question Heating systems - many deco risks?

In idle moments I've been eyeing up various methods of adding heat to my drysuit with a view to making long deco a bit more comfortable.

However, as has been pointed out, the heat will increase the blood flow to the extremities and may cause problems.

Is there any evidence either way on this please?

Would it be better warming all the way through the dive or just at the end?

Any thoughts gratefully received...

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Re: Heating systems - many deco risks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon  View Original Post
    In idle moments I've been eyeing up various methods of adding heat to my drysuit with a view to making long deco a bit more comfortable.

However, as has been pointed out, the heat will increase the blood flow to the extremities and may cause problems.

Is there any evidence either way on this please?

Would it be better warming all the way through the dive or just at the end?

Any thoughts gratefully received...
    There was somewhere a thread about that but maybe was on another forum.
    However important is that the battery have to last until the end of the dive.
    It wouldn't be so nice to be heated during the on gassing and frozen during the off gassing. In case of doubt is better to heat during deco.
    So you need something with a button on/off somewhere.
    I know that Fa&Mi (an Italian company) build and sell a system for gloves and a jacket, external battery with wires trough the inlet valve of the dry suit (no more holes aroud!).

Hope this help.

Nad

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Hello,

I don't know if this might help, but there was a company at DEMA that was selling a change-state heater system for wet and dry suits. No batteries. Can't remember who it was... does anyone else remember?

--p

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I'd imagine it would be a bit risky having it on through the whole dive in case it packed in when you got to deco.

I'd thought about using a motorbike vest with a E/O cable to a 12V light pack for deco. One of about 100 projects I planned to build over the winter... starting about ten winters ago...

Team Train Wreck zbskii is on a distinguished road zbskii is on a distinguished road zbskii's Avatar
    Revo micro ft

Kiss Sport

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

On a purely theoretical level: If you have tissues which are warm and well perfused during on-gassing, but cold and poorly perfused during off gassing a bend might be more likely. This would imply it would be better to only add extra heat to warm up prior to ascent and deco phase.

Neil

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

I use the Giali motorbike jacket for Deco (this is core body only). From experience I suggest the following:

take enough clothing so if the jacket doesn't work it's not critical - just unplesant.

the battery doesn't _have_ to last all the deco, some of the places I carry them to this is impractical.

Whatever heating system you choose make sure it has enough power to actually heat your core rather than (as suggested above) tickle external tissues. Drawing blood out from the core artificially can have a cooling effect if you only supply a little heat to the wrong places.

many sure you can turn the thing off somehow, I know someone who got burned by placing the hot pads in their boots - they became too hot at depth and couldn't be removed.

Don't use oxygen in the suit. (ok I have no proof this is dangerous, but 12v and a few amps is a lot more likely to make a spark than a nylon suit)

I use open contacts in fresh water, but if you dive in salt you will need a completely sealed system before you get near the water or you'll only get to use it once!

John

John

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by johnv  View Original Post
    the battery doesn't _have_ to last all the deco, some of the places I carry them to this is impractical.
    If the battery don't last until the end the body became cooler, maybe is not that dangerous but for sure not the best way.

Whatever heating system you choose make sure it has enough power to actually heat your core rather than (as suggested above) tickle external tissues. Drawing blood out from the core artificially can have a cooling effect if you only supply a little heat to the wrong places.
    I can't see how do you can heat just the core, do you have to eat the heater? A jacket under the dry suit will heat everything.

It is however important to heat a little bit, just to feel better, not at 35°.

Best,

Nad

Decodiver

I use the Typhoon heated jacket system, it works well with an hour or so duration for deco, however I have 2 battery packs for 2 hours.

My buddy Phil is looking at adapting a MetalSub battery pack for longer duration, I know Jerome, DrJM has done something similar.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Thanks for all your kit recommendations. I'm thinking that warming the trunk/lower back/upper back would be safest.

An electric system seems to be favourite - although they now sell giant chemical heat pads which could be interesting. Setting them off through a DS might be fun though.

Has anyone had skin bends/adverse reactions from using any form of heating please?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast