+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question of training...

New Member 488164 is an unknown quantity at this point 488164's Avatar

Question A question of training...

Hi, I am new here, long time diver, recreational. PADI divemaster, wanting to get into rebreathers but feeling that I should progress slowly and learn as much as possible before going down the rebreather route. so with that in mind, I have a question that I hope some folks can help me with.

I feel that the natural progression from a recreational diver on Enriched Air (Nitrox) moving towards rebreathers, I should go through the technical diving route before going onto rebreathers, my question is, can anyone give me an unbiased overview of the various courses (DSAT, TDI & IANTD) and what may be best for someone who is looking to increase his skills in the field of technical diving with the ultimate aim of going rebreather.

Coming from a PADI/BSAC background, I am aware of the DSAT courses, however, lots of people have a personal preference for other training agencies. The problem is, that most of the time it seems to be personal preference or "that's the way I was trained" as opposed to this is the best way to do it, if you want to end up using rebreathers.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

Re: A question of training...

Quote Originally Posted by 488164  View Original Post
    I feel that the natural progression from a recreational diver on Enriched Air (Nitrox) moving towards rebreathers, I should go through the technical diving route before going onto rebreathers, my question is, can anyone give me an unbiased overview of the various courses (DSAT, TDI & IANTD) and what may be best for someone who is looking to increase his skills in the field of technical diving with the ultimate aim of going rebreather.

Since you have decided to go for CC diving then I don't see the point in further training on OC. The important thing is to find a good instructor, what agency he is "working for" is less important. I am sure you can get help to find a good instructor in your area from the members of this site.

// Blomman

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Re: A question of training...

Quote Originally Posted by Blomman  View Original Post
    Since you have decided to go for CC diving then I don't see the point in further training on OC. The important thing is to find a good instructor, what agency he is "working for" is less important. I am sure you can get help to find a good instructor in your area from the members of this site.

// Blomman
    I agree that there is no need for further instruction in OC. You will save $$ and you will have less difficulty moving on to "Tech RB diving" You won't have the skills from OC to get confused with RB diving.

Rob

+ Reply to Thread