+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expired but unused/sealed sorb: what actually happens to make it unusable?

RBW Censor Bait teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple's Avatar
    Mk 15.5

Mk 15, Classic & Sport KISS

Expired but unused/sealed sorb: what actually happens to make it unusable?

drbeddow asked this excellent question in this thread that I wish a sorb manufacturer would answer. I have my suspicions, but will post this hoping to get an HONEST and technically VALID response.

Quote Originally Posted by drbeddow  View Original Post
    What happens to Sofnolime in a sealed container, as it ages, that renders it no longer usable?

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Re: Expired but unused/sealed sorb: what actually happens to make it unusable?

I don't know, but have opened and used containers 3 yrs out of date with no noticable lack of efficiency. It may be a liability issue, as the chemicals are quite stable in a sealed unused container.

Most things we injest or have anything to do with life support all have dates on them. In the gas business O2 has a 5 yr life (The limit of the hydro)

Dale

RBW Member cstmwrks is a jewel in the rough cstmwrks is a jewel in the rough cstmwrks is a jewel in the rough cstmwrks is a jewel in the rough cstmwrks is a jewel in the rough cstmwrks is a jewel in the rough cstmwrks is a jewel in the rough cstmwrks's Avatar
    Arctic Lung, MR101, LARV clone

The lime has a set mosture level at the time of production. It is reasonable to expect that mosture level to be at the manufacturers optimal level during the dated shelf life. The mosture level does effect performance. And I too have gone WAY past the exp date... as in opened the keg a year before exp and am still using it several yars later. .. yes thats right.. I don't dive that much in Idaho.

Bill

Helium Addict O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver's Avatar

I actually prefer sorb with an expired date.................it's a whole lot cheaper! :D Seriously, no difference as long as you keep the container sealed.

Ted

RBW Censor Bait teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple is a glorious beacon of light teksimple's Avatar
    Mk 15.5

Mk 15, Classic & Sport KISS

Anyone from from Grace, Micropore, Molecular Products or Intersurgical care to respond? Here is your chance!

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Hello,

In flying it works something like this....You can probably get away with it until you don't.

When everything works to your advantage you can probably do it. However, at some point in time something will work to your disadvantage and on your last dive some unknown series of events combined with something on the dive will cause it not to work.

Think of it as a lottery...some people can play a long time and never win... some win on their first ticket... and some win after a while.

What are the odds...???

--p

RBW Member Gary Gressett is an unknown quantity at this point Gary Gressett's Avatar

Having been a chemist in a past life. I would offer this for consideration.

The worst that can happen is a C02 hit....ha, ha. Really, water of hydration is key for starting the process of gas binding. A low water of hydration value ie. froozen sorb, vented container or prolonged storage can change the available molecules of water needed for the formation of carbonic acid. The water of hydration is KEY. With low water content, the exothermic activation to finally end up with water and heat does not progress efficiently. Ie. High CO2. We end up making chaulk when it's all said and done.
    I personally use expired containers but know the conditions of storage and generally do not figure using them for deeper dives. As they say, discretion is the better part of valor...........

New Member Tom Mount has a spectacular aura about Tom Mount has a spectacular aura about Tom Mount has a spectacular aura about Tom Mount has a spectacular aura about Tom Mount has a spectacular aura about Tom Mount has a spectacular aura about Tom Mount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gressett  View Original Post
    Having been a chemist in a past life. I would offer this for consideration.

The worst that can happen is a C02 hit....ha, ha. Really, water of hydration is key for starting the process of gas binding. A low water of hydration value ie. froozen sorb, vented container or prolonged storage can change the available molecules of water needed for the formation of carbonic acid. The water of hydration is KEY. With low water content, the exothermic activation to finally end up with water and heat does not progress efficiently. Ie. High CO2. We end up making chaulk when it's all said and done.
    I personally use expired containers but know the conditions of storage and generally do not figure using them for deeper dives. As they say, discretion is the better part of valor...........
    Wow
    I at one time would have agreed with you all

hopwever when cleaning out my garage in 2001 I ran across 3 tuns of 812 that had expired in 1997 and all 3 were sealed (We had used the when ding a UT 240 program -another unit that nevcer quite made the grade)- at the time I was testing a CCR for a company and had had 4 floods eary o- so I had just took the unit apart went into a sealed compartment found the problem and jury rigges a fix tobe sure this was the issue. And thenexpired sorb was a perfect find- so I opened one of the tubs -filled the cnister - jumped intot he pool and in less than 10 minutes took a CO@ hit so badly I barely made it to the surface
    So you guys can use the expired stuff I will be spend the extra money to live longer- surviving an incident is a great teacher provided you do survive and learn from the expeience also I'm a great believer "God protects fols and drunks", "but once informed you are ****ed" my experience informed so I do not wish to testt eh second part of the statement
    Tom
    Tom

New Member OxyCheq is an unknown quantity at this point OxyCheq's Avatar

I agree with Tom, the safest is to use stuff within the expiration date.

However, I do recall a conversation with a mfg about that date and was told that there is room for extending it. I think a large part of it is based on where you store it.

Don't try this at home ----

A number of years ago I had some really old Biomarine rocks lying around and still might. It was from the 1969 or 1971 time frame. Not even sure if it had an expiration date on it. I decided to stick it in a canister and test it on the couch while watching the TV. I breathed out of it for approximately two hours and could not take the boredom any longer. It heated up, worked and I had no ill effects. I do note that I would not test it in the water and am not recommending anyone play guinea pig on themselves.

Some people are dumb and some are smart. Some are lucky and some are not. Worst combination is dumb and unlucky.

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
    ---
    OxyCheq
    OxyCheq ... oxygen analyzers and oxygen sensors

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mount  View Original Post
    Wow
    I at one time would have agreed with you all

hopwever when cleaning out my garage in 2001 I ran across 3 tuns of 812 that had expired in 1997 and all 3 were sealed (We had used the when ding a UT 240 program -another unit that nevcer quite made the grade)- at the time I was testing a CCR for a company and had had 4 floods eary o- so I had just took the unit apart went into a sealed compartment found the problem and jury rigges a fix tobe sure this was the issue. And thenexpired sorb was a perfect find- so I opened one of the tubs -filled the cnister - jumped intot he pool and in less than 10 minutes took a CO@ hit so badly I barely made it to the surface
    So you guys can use the expired stuff I will be spend the extra money to live longer- surviving an incident is a great teacher provided you do survive and learn from the expeience also I'm a great believer "God protects fols and drunks", "but once informed you are ****ed" my experience informed so I do not wish to testt eh second part of the statement
    Tom
    Tom

"Dyson with Death" daddy zepp has a spectacular aura about zepp has a spectacular aura about zepp has a spectacular aura about zepp has a spectacular aura about zepp has a spectacular aura about zepp has a spectacular aura about zepp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OxyCheq  View Original Post
    Some people are dumb and some are smart. Some are lucky and some are not. Worst combination is dumb and unlucky.
    All said and done, the dumb AND unlucky have their days numbered anyway. If you fall into this category then please part with your RB and take up stamp collecting...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast