+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: how did you decide?

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: how did you decide?

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7  View Original Post
    The Sport Kiss and Inspo/Evo have injection molded parts, you can see the difference between them and the PRISM. The cowling is injection molded I believe, but sourced from the outside.

Don't know how long the wait is for other units. I walked into a shop and picked mine. And haven't purchased any rebreather since.

One factor of moving to TN was to increase producion. In HB they were pretty much on schedule for the official 4 month delivery time. Now, three years after they left that facility the wait is still more than twice that. That it's down from three or four times the wait isn't much of a condolensce when you're the one waiting. I know there must be reasons, some may well be good ones like the four ot five week delay caused by the production halt I mentioned above. Nevertheless it is costing them sales, several people I had off the board contact with that wanted one decided to shop elsewhere. Usually in Centralia. While they deserve that business and success they're having, it's incredibly frustrating when you like SMI and the PRISM.

True enough. I don't doubt any of what you said Stefan. But I do know that the materiel that the head is made out of is unique to the Prism and hard to work with and has it's benefits. The cowling I have is thick fiberglass and hard as hell, supported by the cyls, like it a lot, not sure who made it, but it's one of the first ones...

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Software problem, insulting the guy who found it, no recall, crack in the head,
    are we talking about SMI or ISC, Steve?
    We can beat that horse to death over and over, it'll still be just as dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve  View Original Post
    In short. Good design, poor material selection ...
    There is room for improvement, I give you that.
    But then IMHO, there always is.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

This is the spare head that Craig and Carl have I asume?
    Their rigs have single digit serial numbers, so they're as old as PRISMs get.
    Both the material composition as well as the shape of the head (bigger wings) have changed since.

They modded the units and dive them in caves without any sort of cowling or frame, drag them across sumps. That head was send to SMI years ago to be repaired and was replaced with a new one. They did send the repaired one back due to the remote locations their customers are and dive, something that they usually don't do with heads as beaten up. It didn't look pretty, but it worked and was a back-up. Posting the pics on the web as an argument against their company and product will all but eliminate them ever doing that again.
    Last edited by caveseeker7; 22nd December 2006 at 09:03.

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Hi Stefan ok I took the images down as they do not reflect the currrent generation of PRISM's, oh it wasnt the spare head either ;)

I am going to drop out of this thread now as the horse is well and truly beaten, Jep's whatever your choice of unit always dive safe, carry a spare mask and plenty of bailout.

Cheers
    Chriso

Custom Title Allowed! Doorduijn, Niels is on a distinguished road Doorduijn, Niels is on a distinguished road Doorduijn, Niels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dive2dive2000  View Original Post
    As far as I know, one MK/15.5 user 7 or 8 kiss users. I was told around July/August back in March. As of October he stopped answering emails I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Here is the link Subsea Systems Contact Page
    I do not know how many people use them, but it is more than this. Both me and my buddy have a MK 15.5 from Colkan with the new secondary and I know that there are more out there. The secondary is a rather nice piece of equipment, good to read with the backlight, just the batteries are going a lot faster than advisertised. I have less than 10 hours on the first battery, and it is already getting close to empty.

Rgs,

Niels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8