+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Megalodon over Ouroboros

Happy Hippo Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen has a spectacular aura about Soren Thomsen's Avatar

Megalodon over Ouroboros

Hi folks,
    I'm a greenie with CCR and I'm still on OC for some time....financial reasons
    I've read an aweful lot on different breathers and I have a question that I hope someone will respond to.

Some of you experienced deep CCR-divers have choosen Megalodon over Ouroboros.
    Why is that?
    I thought that the Boris was especially designed as an expedition rebreather and therefor more suitable for those deeper dives.

- Hopefully very soon CCR (Meg) diver -
    Soren

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Re: Megalodon over Ouroboros

Granted I like to joke around a fair bit but Iím a humourless bastard when it comes to dive gear. I canít breathe water so I want my gear to work every time. I just canít understand why someone would buy gear that has a history of problems that keep occurring such as a Vision fitted Inspo, but that is just me.

So why did I pick the Meg over the Boris (and everything else)? It came down to reliability for me. I spoke with Kevin Gurr at length at Oztek, I listened divers that know their shit such as Craig Challen and Fred Evans and then I went to see Leon at ISC to learn more about the Meg. The Meg won.

Iím happy to say that a couple of years down the track I feel the Meg was the correct call. It is damn reliable. I have mates with every make of unit including the Boris and they have all had issues that have been what I would call serious. The only issues anyone I know has had with their Meg is a button failing (free replacements were issued) and a op amp failing on one of the 6 pO2 readouts. I have heard of people having solenoids fail but frankly I put this in the same camp as reg servicing. If it gets water in it because you didnít prep the unit correctly then it is your problem.

For what it is worth I have been diving rebreathers for 13 years now and have tried pretty much everything. The Meg suits me well.

I hope this helps
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

you trying to start some kind of war buddy?? :D

OK, from my perspective as a meg diver

IMHO:
    meg breathes better (admitted my only boris dives have been in the pool), I like front mounted counterlung WAY better than back
    meg travels much better, try getting your boris in the airline overhead, this also allows me to keep track of my meg and not allow the airline monkeys to toss it around.
    Meg is lower profile on my back
    I dont mind having a separate dive computer, its attached to the same handset so easy to see along with SP info, in fact its better if one wanted to mix OC with CCR diving on the same trip.
    The build quality of the meg is fabulous
    ISC is in my back yard, 1 hour away.

from the other side, just to be fair...
    Boris has chest area clear, integrated deco, the option to plumb offboard oxygen to the solenoid (meg can only feed offboard into manual injection) a great HUD that also incorporates deco, system health and solenoid firing info.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by RonMicjan  View Original Post
    Boris has chest area clear, integrated deco, the option to plumb offboard oxygen to the solenoid (meg can only feed offboard into manual injection)
    I wasn't going to jump into this thread since I haven't dove a 'boris and it wasn't available when I bought my meg, but the all of the positive comments Ron has given about the 'boris can be added to the meg for less than the cost of the Boris.

The modularity of the Meg keeps it as the first choice for me.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

meg breathes better (admitted my only boris dives have been in the pool), I like front mounted counterlung WAY better than back
    meg travels much better, try getting your boris in the airline overhead, this also allows me to keep track of my meg and not allow the airline monkeys to toss it around.

Hello Soren, for me the WOB/CL issue alone is enough to keep Boris out of the running. The other reasons Ron listed are also important to those like me, who mainly travel far away to dive.

I don't dive particularly deep, but personally, I want the lowest WOB in every position in case of a need for maximum exertion, like those times I've gotten tossed all around in some nasty current, after coming around a corner in Komodo. And that means over the shoulder counterlungs and a radial scrubber. This is all the more important the deeper you go, as WOB increases as the gas density does.

The Boris may have an edge for cave and wreck penetration, 2 types of diving where OTS lungs could be vulnerable to abrasion or ripping the CL material and where strong, unpredictable currents are less of an issue. -Andy

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

the lack of unexplained flooding on the meg was a big selling point for me
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Silent diver
    Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci is a jewel in the rough Aldo Ferrucci's Avatar
    Meg,JJ-CCR,Inspiration,Prism2

Ouroboros, Sentinel, Kiss,rEvo

Hi Ron,
    nice to see you and Patty in Orlando.:)
    Yous analisys are really OK, I agree in total.;)

Best regards

Aldo

you trying to start some kind of war buddy?? :D

OK, from my perspective as a meg diver

IMHO:
    Meg is lower profile on my back
    I dont mind having a separate dive computer, its attached to the same handset so easy to see along with SP info, in fact its better if one wanted to mix OC with CCR diving on the same trip.
    The build quality of the meg is fabulous
    ISC is in my back yard, 1 hour away.

Boris has chest area clear, integrated deco, the option to plumb offboard oxygen to the solenoid (meg can only feed offboard into manual injection) a great HUD that also incorporates deco, system health and solenoid firing info.

hope this helps
    Aldo Ferrucci
    Trimix and Rebreather IT
    Technical CCR/OC Training for Diver and Instructor in Italian - French - English in Italy, France, Belgium, Switzerland,Spain, Red Sea and beyond
    Megalodon/Copis - Inspiration/Evolution - JJ-CCR - Poseidon Discovery MKVI - Instructor Trainer and Dealer

www.aldoferrucci.com FB Aldo Ferrucci
    I like bubbles only in my glass of Champagne

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar

It's funny how people want to remember what they want about Boris or just like to have food for gossips when problems did happen

Boris is a very good unit for deep diving, when the task load is heavy (pulling lines, scootering, taking samples, taking pictures) the Ouroboros does the job of keeping you alive at 100% in fact you can fly the unit just with HUD and you gonna keep on eye on:
    - your deco and where to stop
    - your ppo2 related to your SP
    - the opening, injection, and closing of the solenoid
    - and some possible other Alarms ...
    try to do that all in once with the HUD of the meg ?

Boris is nearly 19 month old so of course they had problems with the unit with time, but they fixed free of charge all of them, they are listening to customers and very open mind.

Got around 400h on it now and honestly for deep diving I would not choose something else ;)

Rgds

Jerome

RBW Member richc is an unknown quantity at this point richc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello Soren, for me the WOB/CL issue alone is enough to keep Boris out of the running.
    What's the issue over WOB with the Boris? It's CE approved so surely must meet requirements for WOB?

Rich

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello Soren, for me the WOB/CL issue alone is enough to keep Boris out of the running.
    Sounds like someone who never dived a Boris

the WOB is as good as a Mk15.5 you know that breather that the army use since two decades ;)

C'mon get a life (underwater) and not behind a keyboard

Jerome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast