+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warm Water Gear

New Member Peter Bomberg is an unknown quantity at this point Peter Bomberg's Avatar

Question Warm Water Gear

Hi Everyone, I am leaning towards an SCR (but there are some nice advantages of the CCR) since I can not find sources for O2 in many locations I like to dive in (Fiji, Bali and so on), however the real question is since I plan on traveling a lot with my unit and am only up to 130fsw deep dives in warm water (coral reefs only), can anyone tell me what ths lightest and most protable unit is? I have to admit that most pictures show rebreather divers in full gear and cold water, does anyone here dive in just shorts and a tshirt.

So the question is looking at the various options any thoughts on a great travel option (the Sports KISS seems nice but then so does the Evolution, understand the physics, however the issue will be more the sourcing of gas once on site, any suggestions for a great travel unit and how do you guys find O2 in remote areas?

Also is there a problem being the only rebreather in a group (i am not doing this for extended dive time but for the bubbles as I am an avid naturalist and photograper), and since I am asking silly questions, since the standard test temp is 4degrees for the scrubber life expectancy testing and temp greatly affects the duration, can anyone tell me or point to a 21degree life expectancy rating for the scrubbers?

Actually a third question for everyone, has anyone built or thought about a true travel unit (10-20lbs without gas)?

Best Regards and thanks in advance for the help.

Peter

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Below Dräger Dolphin & Grand Bleu Fieno. ;)
    Attached Images

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bomberg
    Hi Everyone, I am leaning towards an SCR (but there are some nice advantages of the CCR) since I can not find sources for O2 in many locations I like to dive in (Fiji, Bali and so on), however the real question is since I plan on traveling a lot with my unit and am only up to 130fsw deep dives in warm water (coral reefs only), can anyone tell me what ths lightest and most protable unit is? I have to admit that most pictures show rebreather divers in full gear and cold water, does anyone here dive in just shorts and a tshirt.

So the question is looking at the various options any thoughts on a great travel option (the Sports KISS seems nice but then so does the Evolution, understand the physics, however the issue will be more the sourcing of gas once on site, any suggestions for a great travel unit and how do you guys find O2 in remote areas?

Also is there a problem being the only rebreather in a group (i am not doing this for extended dive time but for the bubbles as I am an avid naturalist and photograper), and since I am asking silly questions, since the standard test temp is 4degrees for the scrubber life expectancy testing and temp greatly affects the duration, can anyone tell me or point to a 21degree life expectancy rating for the scrubbers?

Actually a third question for everyone, has anyone built or thought about a true travel unit (10-20lbs without gas)?

Peter
    Oxygen is usually easier to get than nitrox if you know where to look especially in 3rd world countries.. I know a group of CCR divers went to Fiji last newyears week....
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    Now This Gal Definitely Needs The Guys In Black To Guard Her!
    Attached Images

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Peter
    Peter,

The Sports KISS would be a good choice for what you are proposing. It is simple, rugged, light, relatively inexpensive, and has the range for your proposed diving.

Diving with OC folks is only a problem in that they will scare away the fishes that you are trying to photograph. But seriously, just brief your companions on the special needs of a re-breather diver, and take along a small sling-tank to hand off to an OOA diver, or use yourself for bailout.

Warm water WILL extend run time on a scrubber, just as will shallow water diving. Since I am an RB Instructor, I can officially say no more than that.

Welcome aboard the "Black Sheep Squadron" of re-breather pilots. We've got a great group here. Slide on over to the Introductions section, and tell us a bit more about yourself, your diving history, and what you want to accomplish with your photography!

Welcome aboard!

Rob

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    I will dig on the web but am sure Draeger officially extended the run time for warmer water for the dolphin recently...

I think everyone will extole the benefits of full CCR over SCR and the Sport Kiss IMHO is the most cost effective unit out there, however you could get a Dolphin SCR second hand via ebay for a song and a dance $1k to $1.5k the only thing is I think if you get a Dolphin you will realise Rebreathers rock and then buy a fully closed one!

Stuart

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Dräger Scrubber Duration

Correct, Stuart, Dräger published a document available on Aqualung's website.

Orginally the extended duration was published a few years back, and limited to Europe and the Red Sea. The document now available includes the test parameters. The extended times, for both Dolphin and Ray, are due to decresed breathiing rate and CO2 production, not temperature change.

New Member Peter Bomberg is an unknown quantity at this point Peter Bomberg's Avatar
    Thanks everyone, based upon feedback I am now seriously looking at the Sports KISS and the Evolution CCR's, many people mention the ability to get 100% O2, however I can not find anyone advertising this in places like Fiji, where do you find resorts or dive operators?

Peter

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Thanks everyone, based upon feedback I am now seriously looking at the Sports KISS and the Evolution CCR's, many people mention the ability to get 100% O2, however I can not find anyone advertising this in places like Fiji, where do you find resorts or dive operators?

Peter
    In my travels I have found its best to contact the operators.. Most operators that I have found that do nitrox will do oxygen..

If this doesn;t work check with the local hospitals, in most 3rd world countries they are more than willing to fill your oxygen cylinder, but YOU will have to supply the fill adapter, just find out what attachments they can fill, most places can fill to a medical pin type valve.. so carry a med to din adapter and you are set..

If the shop really wants your business they will usually check on this for you..

The 3 common oxygen fittings are CGA540, cga 870 and BD-3 (british standard #3)
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Peter if you decide to spend enough to buy you an Evolution then I would seriously look at a Meg - same size, more capability.

Stuart

+ Reply to Thread