+ Reply to Thread

Thread: expired sorb

New Member winternomore is an unknown quantity at this point winternomore's Avatar

expired sorb

just wondering about using expired scrubber. i have inherited a lot of it when i bought a dive shop, some is sealed and some is not. i'm in the tropics, and the room it was stored in gets very hot. what do ya think, all good or death in a can?

cheers chris

oh, it's dreger, and expired in 2003......

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Re: expired sorb

3 years expired, stored in Pt Douglas (the tropics, btw, I'll be in CNS mon-wed, might even drop into the shop!), I'd be staying riiiight away from it...

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=7410 Is a post by the distributor of Sofnolime, about expired sorb.

Seriously mate, its definately not worth the risk, ESPECIALLY with the stuff that's already opened...

Good luck with the shop.

New Member Deepthought_reloaded is an unknown quantity at this point Deepthought_reloaded's Avatar

Few thoughts

I got some new sofnalime and it has 5 years to expiry date

If yours is '03 means could have been made in '98....

This stuff works with heat + moisture + CO2, Well you said you got the heat, most diving enterprises generally require some sort of proximity to water so humidity is there - question gotta be how much CO2 could have leaked in there over 8 years...

What do you mean by 'A LOT' - Pallet loads?

If the quantity is sufficient it may be possible to send it back to the manufacturer / supplier / distributer for checking/reprocessing (local environmental regs may be on your side?)

Alternatively, you may be able to get chemical analysis done on a sample from each unopened drum to prove it is still viable but frankly I think what you got there is something to be written off as a tax loss...

May seem generous to give it away but that would probably screw up the local market...

You got to start thinking commercially - even if you only used the old stuff for pool training there is a risk of getting it mixed up with the 'in-date' stuff - somebody has an accident there's going to be all sorts of cr@p happening and some smart-alec lawyer will be suggesting that a mix up occured and even if not you were reckless for using expired 'sorb for pool training so probably negligent in other areas... nightmare

Go through the old books and see if you can find the original invoices,
    work out how much has been used and see if the quantity of sales justifes any savings by ordering in the sort of bulk the previous owners clearly did - I suspect it wont in which case you can avoid making a similar stock control cock-up, remember also that the expiry date is not when you got to sell it by - the customer expects a fair amount of time before it expires too!

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Deepthought_reloaded  View Original Post
    Few thoughts

I got some new sofnalime and it has 5 years to expiry date

If yours is '03 means could have been made in '98....

This stuff works with heat + moisture + CO2, Well you said you got the heat, most diving enterprises generally require some sort of proximity to water so humidity is there - question gotta be how much CO2 could have leaked in there over 8 years...

What do you mean by 'A LOT' - Pallet loads?

If the quantity is sufficient it may be possible to send it back to the manufacturer / supplier / distributer for checking/reprocessing (local environmental regs may be on your side?)

Alternatively, you may be able to get chemical analysis done on a sample from each unopened drum to prove it is still viable but frankly I think what you got there is something to be written off as a tax loss...

May seem generous to give it away but that would probably screw up the local market...

You got to start thinking commercially - even if you only used the old stuff for pool training there is a risk of getting it mixed up with the 'in-date' stuff - somebody has an accident there's going to be all sorts of cr@p happening and some smart-alec lawyer will be suggesting that a mix up occured and even if not you were reckless for using expired 'sorb for pool training so probably negligent in other areas... nightmare

Go through the old books and see if you can find the original invoices,
    work out how much has been used and see if the quantity of sales justifes any savings by ordering in the sort of bulk the previous owners clearly did - I suspect it wont in which case you can avoid making a similar stock control cock-up, remember also that the expiry date is not when you got to sell it by - the customer expects a fair amount of time before it expires too!
    different manufactures put different expiry times.. Grace used to use 1.5 years from date of manufacture.. I am told it is now 2 years.. Quite a difference between Molecular Products and Drager...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    different manufactures put different expiry times.. Grace used to use 1.5 years from date of manufacture.. I am told it is now 2 years.. Quite a difference between Molecular Products and Drager...
    I had called Grace and asked them why they keep bouncing back from 1 yr exp to 2yrs exp, and was told "The expiration date is controlled by the Government (forgot which agency) and has nothing to do with the true life of soda; it has to do with how much of a buffer the government feels like implementing".

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

Talking Re: expired sorb

throw it away or get the supplier to take it back. don't even give it away. You've got a diveshop in qld now, if anyone has a problem because of the sorb you supplied, it just isn't worth the hassle and disruption to your life to have to deal with a QLD workplace health and safety investigation. trust me on that one. get very familiar with the regulations that apply here in qld both for recreational and technical diving. these regulations are enshrined in the qld workplace health and safety act, ie they are legally binding. if you don't know what the regulations are, Jason and Damon Blackwell are the people to talk to on this board.

question: is this diveshop going to be technically oriented for FNQ? that would be a nice addition.
    Last edited by bendomatic; 25th November 2006 at 21:43. Reason: grammar

Holiday diver denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel is a splendid one to behold denzel's Avatar

Rach,

I think he bought himself (into) the techdive academy. So not really an addition for QLD since it already existed. The biggest problem being it's so far up that it's impossible to find full tech operators, since FNQ is the realm of the intro diver. When I did some courses with them, bedankt Ron!, They dealt with a charter company that would drop them out the outer edge if they wanted deep, but that's about as far as it went.
    I did my O2 tech, blender and Dolphin course there about 3 years ago, and if the level of teaching and customer service still is what it was, then I can't recommend it high enuff.

Denz.

New Member Sponge-Bob will become famous soon enough Sponge-Bob will become famous soon enough Sponge-Bob will become famous soon enough Sponge-Bob's Avatar

Hi,
    As a consumer, I'm using Sorb 4 years out of date from sealed, un-opened buckets. This stuff never really expires as long as it is stored properly.

If it was brand new and left open it would be stuffed overnight! So time is irrelevant.

Storage is the key here!

In your possition I would bin the opened, part used cans and use the sealed sorb myself.

As far as running a business goes, play it by the book. All your paperwork and working practices need to be spot on! Don't even think of giving it away, the liability would be horrendous. Don't sell or use anything out of date for customers. Not even a Band Aid!

+ Reply to Thread