+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Main 2007 Expedition Truk or Bikini Atoll

RBW Member grahamsp will become famous soon enough grahamsp will become famous soon enough grahamsp will become famous soon enough grahamsp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Dear All,

I know its a long time off but it will need some planning! For 2007 we are looking at arranging an expedition to either Truk or Bikini.

The duration would be 10 to 20 days. This will require a lot of plannign on our behalf and I am loathe to start researching 2 destinations.

Could I get your thoughts on if you would be interested and which destination would you prefer?

Thanks

Stuart
    Apologies for the late reply but you can put me down as a definite for Bikini.

Graham

RBW Member BGreene is an unknown quantity at this point BGreene's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum. Chuuk or Bikini sounds great. If Bikini is your choice, how do you plan to get the gas there, via Majuro on Matson?

Aloha,
    Brian

1 Grumpy ole skipper Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle's Avatar
    Classic KISS, Sentinel

SCR - CCR Dolphin

Go bikini if you got lots of spare bucks. Truk (2004) was good but Bikini (2005) is better. Best ship your tanks in or you could be using their 7 litre tanks. the smallest .
    Attached Images

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Having been to Bikini, where I saw the scary "Torpedo Breather" pictured above, I'd make the following observations.

Bikini is in absolutely the middle of nowhere and getting stuff there would be logistically difficult. The supply boat usually comes 3 times per year, so anything you ship will be gone a long time and will sit somewhere on a dock for most of that period. When we were there, the supply boat was broken, was 2 months overdue and they were running out of everything.

You will need to ship EVERYTHING. Sorb, helium, appropriate sized cylinders, EVERY spare you can think of, the works. Bikini has compressed air, 93ish% O2 and some boats. That's it.

The bigger plane does mean that in theory there will be more space for more gear. Problem is there is only one bigger plane and it does not always fly, especially if it is broken. Air Marshalls are a law unto themselves and do not give a toss about the diving on Bikini. Their priority seems to be providing an "island hopper" freight, mail and passenger service for the locals.

We did fly to Bikini in the Dash 8. When we left Bikini to return to Majuro the smaller "flying shoebox" service was on offer. Jim Ackroyd managed, by herculean negotiation, to get all of us and all of our luggage on that plane. The pilot had initially refused to take off any of our baggage AT ALL. We discovered from the two disembarking passengers that the other two divers who were supposed to have arrived with them had been left in Majuro that morning because there was no room for them on the plane. As there is only one service per week to Bikini it is likely that that was the end of their dive holiday to Bikini. Jim himself said that the air service is the biggest single problem they face.

The diving in Bikini is very rigidly controlled. This reflects the remoteness of the location and the potential risks associated with doing 2 deco dives per day for a week. At the start of the week Jim Ackroyd explained procedures in great detail, and they were followed to the letter, or else. We had a couple of divers who comitted some minor transgressions and this was spelled out very clearly to all and sundry at the next dive briefing.

The guides shepherd everyone around like....sheep dogs. Anyone who goes the wrong way or is a bit slow gets rounded up. I am not sure how much flexibility they are prepared to offer to a group who do not necessarily wish to follow the tourist route. To be fair, when Jim found out that I and one other diver were cave trained he did take the two of us on some penetration into the Saratoga that is not usually offered.

It was my impression that they were not too keen on rebreathers, "funny" computers or in fact anything that wasn't what they usually did. Having said that, both the guides and the boys did everything they could to make things work for Jeff. He would be better able to offer an opinion as to the pitfalls associated with RB diving at Bikini. I dived OC air, like everyone else.

Bikini is a fantastic place to dive, and the dive operator there does an absolutely excellent job of enabling this to be done. At the risk of repeating myself; Bikini is absolutely amazing wreck diving. I would put it on the "must see" list for every diver who can afford (OZ$7.5K) to go.

I have no doubt that it would be possible to arrange to get a group of rebreather divers and their accoutrement to Bikini and back. It has, after all, been done before. I suspect that Chuuk would also present some logistical difficulties although I feel they are likely to be at least an order of magnitude less of an issue. Having said all of this, if I can work out how to do it my next big trip is to dive under Antarctic ice

If the plan was to go for Bikini, I would highly recommend contacting Jim Ackroyd. He is getting married at Christmas time, probably in his native Yorkshire. While Jack Neidenthal on Majuro is a terribly nice fellow, I think that Jim's first hand advice, and the frank way in which it will undoubtably be given, would be worth it's weight in gold.

For those interested I have put some pictures from Bikini at http://www.users.on.net/~abowie/Bikini05/index.html

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Chuuk please. got lots of gear photo camera etc....

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Dear All,

I know its a long time off but it will need some planning! For 2007 we are looking at arranging an expedition to either Truk or Bikini.

The duration would be 10 to 20 days. This will require a lot of plannign on our behalf and I am loathe to start researching 2 destinations.

Could I get your thoughts on if you would be interested and which destination would you prefer?

Thanks

Stuart
    Stu;
    My vote is for the 20 day trip doing both locations. Planned on '06, but you threw in the Red Sea trip and changed my mind.
    Bill

Peru Diver NickT is an unknown quantity at this point NickT's Avatar
    I went to Bikini last year and dove on doubles. I went with Mad Dog Expeditions and it was a GREAT trip. About half the group dove rebreathers, half dove doubles. Alot of the gear was shiped in advance. I will be going back with my new Meg. No doubt. Just not sure if I can wait untill 2007!!!!!
    The diving is FANTASTIC!

Cheers
    Nick

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by dive2dive2000
    Blue Lagoon stopped carring helium, truk stop gets it periodicaly. The live aboards do not want to deal with it. It runs any where from $2 to $4 a cu. ft. depending on the import market, and you never know if it will be there when you arrive. I would base my dive plans on air and nitrox. The Odyssey has a haskel, 100% O2, 30cu.ft. stages and soda(They are RB friendly). This is a very remote place, and in my opinion the Odyssey live a board is the only choice for truk. Then again you know us Americans spoiled spoiled spoiled;)

Martin
    FYI The Captain (also the owner of the Odyessey and runs every trip with his wife) is the ONLY Chamber operator let me repeat IS THE ONLY CHAMBER OPERATOR. If he is not around it is a plane ride to Guam, so G-d for bid... at least you know you are in good hands and will get immediate attention!
    I have done chuuk with the thorfinn and capt lance and hi screw are great.. They are some of the most experienced guides around.. I can't wait to see pictures of the updates Thorfinn.. I spoke to Lance's friend maning the booth at DEMA, and the thorfinn was just leaving the phillippines after completing a complete refit (it took alittlelonger than expected)..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    I spoke to Lance's friend maning the booth at DEMA, and the thorfinn was just leaving the phillippines after completing a complete refit (it took alittlelonger than expected)..
    I'm on the thorfinn from this saturday coming so it had better be there on time!!!

How far from the Phillippines to Chuuk? EDIT: just checked, 4-5 days sail assuming 15 knots all the way. Should be okay then as long as there aint any problems!

I will find out whats new on the boat and pop some pics on RBW. I heard they got a haskel now.

Andy

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy M
    I'm on the thorfinn from this saturday coming so it had better be there on time!!!
    Hey all, an update from Chuuk... I am bumming about in an internet cafe. The Thorfinn did not leave manila until yesterday. "They had to keep redoing the paint, as it kept raining on the wet paint". Its expected in the lagoon next wednesday, and its 7 days sailing from manila. In the meantime I am having to dive from the truk stop and the blue lagoon dive centres. I dont know yet if I will get on the thorfinn as it arrives 4 days before my flight home.

Went diving this morning. only one word for the diving here, fugging awesome!!! best stuff around. If you havnt been here already, DO IT!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast