+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Main 2007 Expedition Truk or Bikini Atoll

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Stuart you jerk, I have been saving my money to buy a shiney yellow rebreather now you go and post this. How am I suppose to save anything this way.
    Seriously both destination are on my to do list although I lean more toward Truk.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    A group of Classic-KISS guys from the UK went last year (or the year before that) so if needed, I will pass the logistic contact info since they had everything for the trip (unit, stages, sorb, O2, He, etc) and had a great time.

Some of those guys might even be on this list already (?)
    I wasn't, but I am now (will say hello properly in a mo)

We took 5 Classic KISSes, 2 OC guys and one Inspo to Bikini in 03 - did a 2 week stint on the island. We managed to acquire some Helium which was already on the island and used that to mix our Dil - there was a J left over but that was sold to a group from Mad Dog earlier this year. Having done Bikini on air and on gas I know which one gets my vote.

We got all the Sodasorb shipped to Majuro in time to catch the supply boat to Bikini in Feb, and they were happy to store it for us until we got there.

We used their 45cf steel cylinders which were not ideal for the KISS - meant some issues for penetrations but these didn't adversely affect the trip.

They generated their own O2 on the island meaning the gas was actually about 96% (4% Argon IIRC) which wasn't an issue.

We also used the Jetsam boosters to pump the Dil - Bikini already have a Haskel for the O2 so no worries there.

During the 2nd week we were the only people there, which meant the diving itinerary was entirely down to us - nnnice.

The baggage limit to Bikini isn't so severe any more as they have a larger aircraft (when it's working and not diverted elsewhere...) - the allowance is still small, but exess isn't a problem. We negotiated our excess baggage at a reduced freight rate which saved plenty of $$$ too.

Any questions?

Keith

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Keith,

thanks for the feedback - I would say that either Truk or Bikini is doable as a destination for us.

Stuart

Peru Diver NickT is an unknown quantity at this point NickT's Avatar
    I have been to Bikini, plan to return in 2006 (with my new Meg). Truk would be a great destination for 2007.
    Cheers
    Nick T

New Member avt is an unknown quantity at this point avt's Avatar
    Recently (April) returned from Truk Odyssey deep wreck RB trip. Pencil my name down for Truk again!
    drew

ITE Innes is an unknown quantity at this point Innes's Avatar

Thumbs up Truk or Bikini

Can I come & play priity please
    2007 Expedition Truk or Bikini Atoll
    Its been a dream for a long time for a visit to Truk or Bikini

Either destination

I’ll start putting the coins in my piggy bank

Innes

bikini

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase
    I have not considered Bikini a possable dive site as the weight restrictions on the tiny aircraft you use to get there wont allow a YBOD to be used. I think Truck is OK.

ATB

Mark Chase
    hi mark,

that was in the old days but now they have some bigger planes!

matt

www.mrdiving.co.uk

TecRB Robert Landreth will become famous soon enough Robert Landreth will become famous soon enough Robert Landreth will become famous soon enough Robert Landreth will become famous soon enough Robert Landreth's Avatar
    Haked Prism

HomeBuild

I want to go to !!!!! but some one find me a sugar mama first

New Member silent bubbles is an unknown quantity at this point silent bubbles's Avatar
    I am up for truk , coming from Australia its still a bugger of a flight , but the history , clear water and gr8 wrecks , bikini will have to wait till I get my MEG

New Member Chardy is an unknown quantity at this point Chardy's Avatar

I'm up for Truk

I got back in April, diving's outstanding. There was no Helium. S.S. Thorfinn was shipping in Sorb for some Italians in May so it is available. The weight allowance via Singapore was poor, via USA 64 Kg but flights more expensive.

I'd better pass MOD 1 this weekend first, had to put it off for weeks due to work and now we are emigrating in two weeks needs to finished.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast