+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Potential Cave / Cavern Trip to Mexico

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase
    Cracking

See I knew someone would reckognise my nateral abuility and not waste my time with all that silly training

ATB

Mark Chase
    Tremendous!! PMSL!!

Dave.

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Price
    Your CDG card is printed below - please send payment right away - cheques may be made payable to "D M Price".

Absolute quality

Rich

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Do I have to ?

Hell no, I wouldn't dive with me, given the choice ;)

The only reason I dove with Stuart was for the amusement factor.... (tenner says he bails off the bagpipes with 30 mins)

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    No offense, but I think the folks are missing the point. It would be a re-breather cave deal, because this is a re-breather group, and the trip is being set up by a re-breather guy (Stuart). I know it's a tool guys, but if we were talking OC, this Board would have a different name, n'est pas?

Cheers, guys! (This is made in a friendly way, folks,
    so no !!!! )

Rob

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I'm not so sure about the folks missing the point, Rob.

I understand what you're saying, but cave diving is pretty serious diving.
    Caves, even the most shallow and beautifully decorated ones, are a very
    unforgiving environment. Not a place to bring toys, but to bring tools, and
    only those you need. That's a fair argument to make, and it's made by
    people who have the experience to back it up.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    I'm not so sure about the folks missing the point, Rob.

I understand what you're saying, but cave diving is pretty serious diving.
    Caves, even the most shallow and beautifully decorated ones, are a very
    unforgiving environment. Not a place to bring toys, but to bring tools, and
    only those you need. That's a fair argument to make, and it's made by
    people who have the experience to back it up.

I don't disagree with any of your points, except for your concept that the RB is a toy, instead of a tool.

I don't know about you, but I'm trying to give up OC diving completely, although it is hard to break any bad habit. I suspect you'll be the same when you finally get your Prism.

Cheers!

Rob

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Opinions are like arseholes ;)

Rob, I take it you know the mexico scene far better than me (you're all just north mexicans in the states, right? ). My concern lay in getting O2, Sorb, drive and bailout tanks sorted. If that can be done easily and theres dives that warrant it, Im happy to take the incredible fart recycler.

If it can't/the dives dont justify it, I'd rather go on OC. If that precludes me from being part of a trip, I guess thats fair enough :)

/Zak (only a weenie cave diver)

PS. Chaps I've spoken to out there havent been that encouraging about availability of stuff..... but Im happy to be corrected

Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel

Rob, I take it you know the mexico scene far better than me (you're all just north mexicans in the states, right? ). My concern lay in getting O2, Sorb, drive and bailout tanks sorted. If that can be done easily and theres dives that warrant it, Im happy to take the incredible fart recycler.

Zak (only a weenie cave diver)

PS. Chaps I've spoken to out there havent been that encouraging about availability of stuff..... but Im happy to be corrected
    Zak,

Si, es la verdad! Yo soy un Nortemexicano!! Ai-yi-yi-yi-yahee!!!

Protec Playa de Carmen, which is right in the heart of that region, and is an advertiser on our Board, offers sorb, tin-filling, boosting, O2, helium for deep ocean diving, and even RB hire. They have a good staff of guides and instructors.

As always, there are pro's and con's to everything. An awful lot of the cave diving is shallow, i.e. in the 60 to 70 ft range, so there is the added challenge of diving your RB in shallow depths, but with a rock ceiling right above your back. On the other hand, there are areas affording very long penetrations, with fairly tight restrictions. There are relatively short cave and cavern tours to show off the stalactites and stalagmites (beautiful), as well.

A friend of mine, who is both a commercial diver instructor and a NAUI technical guy just came back from a trip there, and he said that the swims were very long, with a couple of spots where he and his buddy had to remove their twin-sets to get through.

So, in essence, you can have it easy. You can have it hard. You can have it any way you want it down there, at Alicita's Restaurant!

Rob

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by ROB DAVIE
    I don't disagree with any of your points, except for your concept that the RB is a toy, instead of a tool.
    Rob, I didn't mean any disrespect or ill will towards RBs by calling them a toy.
    Just that they are unlikely to be required for the profiles and hence not a needed tool.

It kind of depends on your definitions, I guess, like boat, ship and yacht. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel
    My concern lay in getting O2, Sorb, drive and bailout tanks sorted.
    Pro Tec in Playa del Carmen should be able to sort out supplies and tanks,
    they are a rebreather and cave diving training center.
    Scott will be able to answer your questions.

Rob, I didn't mean any disrespect or ill will towards RBs by calling them a toy.
    Just that they are unlikely to be required for the profiles and hence not a needed tool.
    Stefan,

Hey I took that as understood from the start! You wouldn't be an Administrator on this Board, or a writer and photographer about RB's if you thought they were just toys. You take great photo's, and your articles are good for obtaining news and knowledge about a lot of RB's!

As I said in my post above, the diving is mostly shallow, so RB's are not really required, but then, like a lot of our folks, I'm just trying to get to the point where all of my diving is done on RB, except for bail-out! (...and hopefully, not a lot of that!!!)

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast