Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My DEMA Impressions and THANKS!

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

My DEMA Impressions and THANKS!

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd publicly post my sincere thanks for the honor of receiving your Lifetime Contribution Award.

I want to first say that Stuart, Ron, and the gang put on the BEST party I've ever attended at a DEMA show. All we needed was some DIR dudes to crash it and start pushing some CCR "strokes" around to make it more memorable...:D

As for DEMA itself, this was by far the most "interesting" for Rebreather Divers I've seen. There is still an awful lot of Vaporware floating about, but some very positive strides are clearly being made, with newcomers entering the market and giving divers choices. It can only strengthen the market, and (hopefully) result in even better, safer systems for all of us to use. Some of those "choices" I worry about, but that is not a subject for this forum right now (besides, as soon as someone buys any of the new rigs, the lions will begin to feast...)

I got a chance to have some good conversations with who I consider the "fathers" of the eCCR movement (at least manufacture-wise), including Martin Parker (who I congratulated at the show for nearly single-handedly creating this market in the first place), with Kevin Gurr (who revolutionized it by creating the VR series), Peter Readey (who was there before any of us KNEW what a rebreather was), and Leon Scamahorn (who brought high quality, rugged gear to the masses). Of course, me and Duffy are the "mothers" of the movement... heh, heh.... :p

When I gave my speech, I mumbled something about how I started in my garage, and Pat Duffy started in my garage too - but had I been more cognizant, and had had a chance to prepare a speech, I'm sure I would have managed to mangle this:

((Kevin's Speech He Didn't Manage to Give))

Dear Friends,

Thank you for this grand award, an Honor that I truly appreciate.

Little did I know, a dozen years ago or so, when I started building electronics for myself and McKenney in my shop that it would culminate with our current position in the diving world.

I can recall going over to Peter Readey's place, which was a bit larger than my garage, but organized about the same, and talking about rebreathers. It was like a cult religion to us back then, and the "guru's" of the sport had names like Farb, Robinette, and King.

I remember spending hours in my shop with Pat Duffy, who was working for Atlantic Richfield in Alaska, trying to come up with adequate replacements for the sensors Mike Iswalt was hand-making for our Mark 15.5's. Who would have guessed that he would turn a small venture into such a giant, growing business like Oxycheq?

I remember when some English guy named Parker said he was going to start building rebreathers, and again, when another Englishman named Gurr said that he would build a deco computer for them. Everything seemed homemade back then. Everything was pitched together with glue and odd bits. Marco Flagg made the only Deco computer back then for rebreathers, and it weighed about 20 pounds, and Dick King was busy building the first of his many BMR-500's - a rig that was ahead of it's time, and sadly doomed to failure when Dick couldn't make enough money on them...

Peter Readey was building lots of Prism's back then too, but each of them looked different from one another, and Richard Pyle had already earned the nickname I eventually gave him, that of "Gumby"...

There is so much water under the bridge for us now, but not a day goes by that I don't think of the man who was like a brother to me, and, perhaps, the entire reason why I am where I am now - Will Smithers. It was he who urged me to change over to Digital, then showed me how fast it could be done. It was he who I spoke with every single day for years, laughing, joking, making up outrageous inventions which would never see the light of day (like a bailout reg for your cave diving Long Hose which had an "innovative" mouthpiece found at an adult toy store - which guaranteed
    that your dive buddy would never run out of air... or if he DID, would only do it once!!:p). He created Z-Plan when asked to pay an "upgrade" fee for another deco program, and lived his life like the rebel he was. He was a Geek, but he was a Cool Geek, and I loved him like he was my blood...

The market has grown so much over the years, and the foundation laid by us "old" timers still reverberates - you can see the innovations that survived trial and failure all around you - Bailout Bottles ported to the Diluent side of rigs, user definable Set Points, Gradient Factors, Heads Up Display's, Gordon Smith's KISS Valve - all are now commonplace, and considered "standard" for rebreathing systems.

It has been, and continues to be, a wild ride. All of us - all of YOU are the pioneers of a field which can only grow as newer, younger divers enter the fray.

It's a great time to be alive, and an even greater time to be in the Rebreather World.

I wish all of you Safety as you ply the ocean waves, Strength to get you through the difficult moments that our chosen sport somtimes entails, and the Peace that comes from being part of a family.

Thank you all so very, very much.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Last edited by heyydude; 15th November 2006 at 01:29.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Re: My DEMA Impressions and THANKS!

Kevin,

Well put... Hats off to all that were given awards... All of you have helped both drive innovation and safety in the sport that we all passionately support.

Dive Safe.

Mark

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Thanks Kevin - you almost make me feel guilty for not giving you enough warning to come with such a great speech.

Almost I said mind you

New Member OxyCheq is an unknown quantity at this point OxyCheq's Avatar

Kevin,

Reading this brought tears to my eyes. I love you man!

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
    ---
    OxyCheq
    OxyCheq ... oxygen analyzers and oxygen sensors

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd publicly post my sincere thanks for the honor of receiving your Lifetime Contribution Award.

I want to first say that Stuart, Ron, and the gang put on the BEST party I've ever attended at a DEMA show. All we needed was some DIR dudes to crash it and start pushing some CCR "strokes" around to make it more memorable...:D

As for DEMA itself, this was by far the most "interesting" for Rebreather Divers I've seen. There is still an awful lot of Vaporware floating about, but some very positive strides are clearly being made, with newcomers entering the market and giving divers choices. It can only strengthen the market, and (hopefully) result in even better, safer systems for all of us to use. Some of those "choices" I worry about, but that is not a subject for this forum right now (besides, as soon as someone buys any of the new rigs, the lions will begin to feast...)

I got a chance to have some good conversations with who I consider the "fathers" of the eCCR movement (at least manufacture-wise), including Martin Parker (who I congratulated at the show for nearly single-handedly creating this market in the first place), with Kevin Gurr (who revolutionized it by creating the VR series), Peter Readey (who was there before any of us KNEW what a rebreather was), and Leon Scamahorn (who brought high quality, rugged gear to the masses). Of course, me and Duffy are the "mothers" of the movement... heh, heh.... :p

When I gave my speech, I mumbled something about how I started in my garage, and Pat Duffy started in my garage too - but had I been more cognizant, and had had a chance to prepare a speech, I'm sure I would have managed to mangle this:

((Kevin's Speech He Didn't Manage to Give))

Dear Friends,

Thank you for this grand award, an Honor that I truly appreciate.

Little did I know, a dozen years ago or so, when I started building electronics for myself and McKenney in my shop that it would culminate with our current position in the diving world.

I can recall going over to Peter Readey's place, which was a bit larger than my garage, but organized about the same, and talking about rebreathers. It was like a cult religion to us back then, and the "guru's" of the sport had names like Farb, Robinette, and King.

I remember spending hours in my shop with Pat Duffy, who was working for Atlantic Richfield in Alaska, trying to come up with adequate replacements for the sensors Mike Iswalt was hand-making for our Mark 15.5's. Who would have guessed that he would turn a small venture into such a giant, growing business like Oxycheq?

I remember when some English guy named Parker said he was going to start building rebreathers, and again, when another Englishman named Gurr said that he would build a deco computer for them. Everything seemed homemade back then. Everything was pitched together with glue and odd bits. Marco Flagg made the only Deco computer back then for rebreathers, and it weighed about 20 pounds, and Dick King was busy building the first of his many BMR-500's - a rig that was ahead of it's time, and sadly doomed to failure when Dick couldn't make enough money on them...

Peter Readey was building lots of Prism's back then too, but each of them looked different from one another, and Richard Pyle had already earned the nickname I eventually gave him, that of "Gumby"...

There is so much water under the bridge for us now, but not a day goes by that I don't think of the man who was like a brother to me, and, perhaps, the entire reason why I am where I am now - Will Smithers. It was he who urged me to change over to Digital, then showed me how fast it could be done. It was he who I spoke with every single day for years, laughing, joking, making up outrageous inventions which would never see the light of day (like a bailout reg for your cave diving Long Hose which had an "innovative" mouthpiece found at an adult toy store - which guaranteed that your dive buddy would never run out of air... or if he DID, would only do it once!!:p). He created Z-Plan when asked to pay an "upgrade" fee for another deco program, and lived his life like the rebel he was. He was a Geek, but he was a Cool Geek, and I loved him like he was my blood...

The market has grown so much over the years, and the foundation laid by us "old" timers still reverberates - you can see the innovations that survived trial and failure all around you - Bailout Bottles ported to the Diluent side of rigs, user definable Set Points, Gradient Factors, Heads Up Display's, Gordon Smith's KISS Valve - all are now commonplace, and considered "standard" for rebreathing systems.

It has been, and continues to be, a wild ride. All of us - all of YOU are the pioneers of a field which can only grow as newer, younger divers enter the fray.

It's a great time to be alive, and an even greater time to be in the Rebreather World.

I wish all of you Safety as you ply the ocean waves, Strength to get you through the difficult moments that our chosen sport somtimes entails, and the Peace that comes from being part of a family.

Thank you all so very, very much.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Hi Kevin-

What an eloquent missive!

I may very well be alive today thanks to BOTH your instruction and your (+ Will’s!) antique Gen 1 electronics. Ya did good. Keep it comin’, Dude!

Very, very best,
    Ken

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

It was a great DEMA for Rebreathers and a great party. Like aways it was good seeing you again and congatulations on a well deserved award.

Always Learning. Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob will become famous soon enough Fort Collins Bob's Avatar

Congrads to you Kevin !!!

And Congrads also to Patrick who has helped me out with
    both materials and with learning.

I could not make it to DEMA this year..

But, from the great information this site has provided
    and from all the people I know that did go... I missed
    out on a great group of people.

Hats off to you both for your contributions to the sport
    and to the technologies.

bob
    Last edited by Fort Collins Bob; 20th November 2006 at 21:35.

RBW Member Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica's Avatar

Congratulations Kevin !

Well deserved award, which couldn't have gone to a nicer guy...er dude.

Aloha,

Jim Holt

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

G'day.

While I'm sure Kevin still deserves the accolades, this thread is in the 2006 DEMA forum, and is referring to last years party. ;)

The 2007 Rebreather World party and awards night is tonight, I'm looking forward to hearing who was recognised this year... (and very jealous of everyone that is there!).

Have a great night all!

Dave
    RBW Mod.

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sadave  View Original Post
    G'day.

While I'm sure Kevin still deserves the accolades, this thread is in the 2006 DEMA forum, and is referring to last years party. ;)

The 2007 Rebreather World party and awards night is tonight, I'm looking forward to hearing who was recognised this year... (and very jealous of everyone that is there!).

Have a great night all!

Dave
    RBW Mod.
    Yeah thanks alot Konaquatica for bumping the old thread. You scared the piss out of me when I read it since I bought a ticket for this years party and thought I had missed it. :D

No real harm done looking foward to the party tonight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast