+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fake Blood

RBW Member Offgas is on a distinguished road Offgas is on a distinguished road Offgas's Avatar

Fake Blood

Could this have some uses in diving or in hyperbaric treatment? Interesting article in any case...

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science...ccdrcrd/5.html

Offgas

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

Re: Fake Blood

Maybe something like in this article.

Degassed liquids to prevent/treat decompression sickness:
    Entrez PubMed

I have the article if someone is interested.

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

Treatment of Decompression Sickness in Swine With Intravenous Perfluorocarbon Emulsion
    Rubicon Repository ID#: 123456789/3807
    First printed in Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine. Now NMRI Technical Report.
    Rubicon Research Repository

Dromsky did some REALLY good work on this topic. The Perfluorocarbon Emulsion is no longer in production so research is stagnant at the moment.

also look at the keyword "Perfluorocarbon" in our database. That will give six more hits.

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Hello,

In 2003 we (the UHMS Decompression Illness Adjunctive Therapy Committee) published a review of potentially useful non-recompression treatment for DCI (ie drugs, fluids, and first aid oxygen). The potential role for perfluorocarbon emulsions in treatment of decompression illness is summarised comprehensively in this review which is available for purchase through the UHMS website:

Moon RE (ed). Report of the Decompression Illness Adjunctive Therapy Committee of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (Including Proceedings of the Fifty-Third Workshop of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society). Kensington MD 2003. Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society: 194pp

Warm regards,

Simon M

New Member rb5150 is an unknown quantity at this point rb5150's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaap  View Original Post
    Maybe something like in this article.

Degassed liquids to prevent/treat decompression sickness:
    Entrez PubMed

I have the article if someone is interested.
    This is definitely an interesting topic.

JAAP: Could you send me the article? adam.velardo@gmail.com

Thanks!

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

Synthetic blood products: SYBD.com

they have some cool photos. They also produce a breathable liquid that is in clinical use for certain types of lung diseases. Similar to the stuff in The Abyss. I'm giving a lecture on it at the course in Dominica (cough, cough) if anyone's interested.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning...
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Hobbs  View Original Post
    Treatment of Decompression Sickness in Swine With Intravenous Perfluorocarbon Emulsion
    Rubicon Repository ID#: 123456789/3807
    First printed in Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine. Now NMRI Technical Report.
    Rubicon Research Repository

Dromsky did some REALLY good work on this topic. The Perfluorocarbon Emulsion is no longer in production so research is stagnant at the moment.

also look at the keyword "Perfluorocarbon" in our database. That will give six more hits.
    Yah, a real shame. It looked like a great way of expediting treatment. My buddy used the products for a while in her veterinary practice with great results. No storage issues (as in with whole blood) and no type and crossmatch problem either. I think it still has possibilities if someone picks up again...

On a different and totally non-related note: The shares for the manufacturing company also went down so I got rid of them fast.

Dive safe,

Celia

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

Since this has finally been published and this thread is not quite a month old...

K Yoshitani et. al. Reduction in air bubble size using perfluorocarbons during cardiopulmonary bypass in the rat. Anesth Analg. 2006 Nov;103(5):1089-93. PMID: 17056937

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by Celia_E  View Original Post
    On a different and totally non-related note: The shares for the manufacturing company also went down so I got rid of them fast.
    Not so sure it's unrelated. The market has had a pretty pessimistic view of the technology and judging by the way the share price sagged after the initial optimism I would think the product is as far from the market as ever.

Andy

+ Reply to Thread