+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rusted YBOD handsets magnets

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Rusted YBOD handsets magnets

Hello,

After last dive I had one of the switches sticking! Removed cover to find a mess from rust coming from the bare magnets!

Contacted ADP and told me since mine is still under warrenty they will send me a couple free of charge! Until then I decided to clean them and apply a thin layer of silicon grease! Altough many know about this I tough that I should share, now next problem anyone knows how to replace them?

Pierre

Decodiver
    Hi Pierre,

The silicon will help in the short term.

They pop out very easily with a small screwdriver, coat the new ones with clear nail varnish and rinse your handsets after every dive in fresh water moving the switches up and down to get the water behind them.

When you remove them you can check the polarity orientation by that old saying opposites attract.

And as a warning to most people don't rinse them in dive shop/clubs rinse tanks as they are invariably full of saltwater. A monthly strip and check often helps, now spit that egg back out at your Granny guys!

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Beeing Visionary Sten is a jewel in the rough Sten is a jewel in the rough Sten is a jewel in the rough Sten is a jewel in the rough Sten is a jewel in the rough Sten is a jewel in the rough Sten is a jewel in the rough Sten's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery

Inspiration Vision

Hello,

I had the same problem last year. It became more serious when some of the switches stopped working durin a dive. APdiving changed them without problem. Contact them and send your photos.

The explanation I got was that a batch of them was proone to corrosion, and that they wanted the old ones back in order to show the problem to their supplier.

My unit was manufactured just before christmas 2003, older units used by frends of mine dont seem to have this problem.

/sten

[IMG]handsets.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Images

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

My ones looked like that on the last dive I did. The switches suddenly jammed forcing an on boat strip down of both hand sets.

Not very impressed I wash the unit religiously after every dive (apart from on the livaboard I did.

Surley they could have encapsulated the magnets in something

ATB

Mark Chase

Decodiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase
    Not very impressed I wash the unit religiously after every dive (apart from on the livaboard I did.
    Hi Mark,

If that was the Red Sea, I have seen new magnets rust in the space of a week there, incredible, but given the higher level of salinity. People thought I was Radio Rental buying bottled water to clean my handsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase
    Surley they could have encapsulated the magnets in something
    It has been an ongoing issue for years now, awhile back they said they had changed the magnet supplier, well they should look again......

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar
    Hello,

I have 25hrs on the unit and wash them down after every dive. They said that they will replace them with different ones that does not rust but to be sure I will put some nail polish! I was thinking about red what you think!

Decodiver
    Go black, very tekkie aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Farrugia
    Hello,

After last dive I had one of the switches sticking! Removed cover to find a mess from rust coming from the bare magnets!

Contacted ADP and told me since mine is still under warrenty they will send me a couple free of charge! Until then I decided to clean them and apply a thin layer of silicon grease! Altough many know about this I tough that I should share, now next problem anyone knows how to replace them?

They will send you new ones and they will rust. So
    they will send you new ones, which will rust too
    ... and so it goes on.

Just lever them out

PFO free :) pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sten
    Hello,

[IMG]handsets.jpg[/IMG]

Stupid question, but as the assumption is the mother of all f*** ups, is the clear piece of plastic in the photo above completely seperate from what must be a independent case for the electronics..??

Are there are catches/ things etc that it would help me to know about before I jump-in with a screwdriver..??

cheers

paul

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Greekbird
    Stupid question, but as the assumption is the mother of all f*** ups, is the clear piece of plastic in the photo above completely seperate from what must be a independent case for the electronics..??

Are there are catches/ things etc that it would help me to know about before I jump-in with a screwdriver..??

cheers

paul
    you mean you don't know?

undo the 4 screws pop the red bits out the back and gently lever the front off put the switch to on helps a little

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast