+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scrubber Life.

James Jennings TheBcDiver is an unknown quantity at this point TheBcDiver's Avatar

Scrubber Life.

Hi folks

Was reading a recent thread on scrubber duration and didn't want to hijack the thread.

I have a Inspo scruber that was used for 1 hour last week and then packed away in a sealed bag. it was then put back into the unit last night (thursday) for a dive that didn't materialise... I'm now looking to dive this sunday (max depth 20m, divetime prob no more than 1+ 1/2 hrs) and was wondering whether it would still be ok or should i just bin it and replace?

Cheers

James.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Re: Scrubber Life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBcDiver  View Original Post
    Hi folks

Was reading a recent thread on scrubber duration and didn't want to hijack the thread.

I have a Inspo scruber that was used for 1 hour last week and then packed away in a sealed bag. it was then put back into the unit last night (thursday) for a dive that didn't materialise... I'm now looking to dive this sunday (max depth 20m, divetime prob no more than 1+ 1/2 hrs) and was wondering whether it would still be ok or should i just bin it and replace?

Cheers

James.
    my wife and I do multiple dives on the same scrubber and we keep it up to a month inbetween dives at this point. We leave it out over night to get some of the excess moisture out of it after a dive and then bag it. We keep close tabs on the total hours and depths. For deepish dives fresh sorb is used.

There is definitely a camp that will say not to risk it. I think it depends on how aggressive your dives are...we stick mostly to no deco/recreational depths, do the deepest part of the dive first, deeper dives first in a series and combine temp stick with total hours used calcuations, getting 3.5-4.5 hours on our evo's.

Since there is very little co2 in the air in a room and since that air is not being circulated through the scrubber, having it exposed for a bit is not a big deal, imho.

with the size of the scrubber on an inspo, if your one hour dive was not below 130 fsw, i would not hesitate to add another hour to hour and a half and then some, on a subsequant dive. That's just how i've been aproaching it lately...others may be more or less conservative.

Gill Envy

James Jennings TheBcDiver is an unknown quantity at this point TheBcDiver's Avatar

Cheers for the reply Gill, much appreciated.

James.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

If you can be bothered trolling through the site then the Canadian Navy has a report on storage of part-used rebreather scrubbers. Basically they said if the RB has been sealed then it is good to use after a long period of time. They stopped their tests at 10days of storage but suggested that longer periods may be acceptable.

I've often used scrubbers after 4-6 weeks in storage. I guess the two big things are avoiding storing it in very cold temps and not allowing any dampness to get into the loop.

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

I agree with Gill and have gone the extra step of making a scrubber saver to keep the sorp sealed and protected while the head is drying out check out this link http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=4719

Rob

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    If you can be bothered trolling through the site then the Canadian Navy has a report on storage of part-used rebreather scrubbers. Basically they said if the RB has been sealed then it is good to use after a long period of time. They stopped their tests at 10days of storage but suggested that longer periods may be acceptable.

I've often used scrubbers after 4-6 weeks in storage. I guess the two big things are avoiding storing it in very cold temps and not allowing any dampness to get into the loop.
    Do you have any more info on this? I would like to read the report, I have not run accross it at work and if it is around I would like to see it. Thanks

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

As above, I leave it sealed up and just use it again.

If I need/want to dry the head I'll chuck the cartridge in a plastic bag while I'm doing it to keep it clean and the humidity level constant. I doubt there is a significant airflow through a cartridge so I don't worry about sofnalime being used up.

Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon  View Original Post
    As above, I leave it sealed up and just use it again.

If I need/want to dry the head I'll chuck the cartridge in a plastic bag while I'm doing it to keep it clean and the humidity level constant. I doubt there is a significant airflow through a cartridge so I don't worry about sofnalime being used up.
    Thanks! I look forward to reading this, as I actually know the author

New Member Octopus is an unknown quantity at this point Octopus's Avatar

'Narkedatninety' makes a very professional looking blanking plate for the Meg that works well:). After the dive you take the head off and the moisture pads out, then leave the scrubber inside the casing and pop the blanking plate on the top. Very simple and effective solution to storing the scrubber in an airtight environment.
    Think he may do something similar for other units. Worth a look if you want to prolong your sofnolimes life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast