+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Side Scan Sonar Wanted

Brian Mecklem Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7's Avatar
    PRISM 2, EXPLORER

PRISM TOPAZ

Re: Side Scan Sonar Wanted

What is the latest on these units ? Is there anyone currently using a reasonably priced unit successfully ?

I note that Hummingbird now offer one as part of their fish finder range... has anyone tried this? what depths ? are images ok ?

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ed  View Original Post
    Those images from the Burton sidescan look really excellent. Does anyone have any decent images from the Yellowfin? My data from it is really poor but I haven't *yet* managed to make it sink properly or fly straight so perhaps that's not surprising. I'd like some indication that it's worth spending time and money getting it working!
    Hello Red Ed,

You just need to make a decent tailfin for the Yellowfin. A 4' length of angle stock and two panels roughly 8" x 14" will allow making a suitable "V" shaped tail. One hose clamp to the body and you are off.

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian7  View Original Post
    What is the latest on these units ? Is there anyone currently using a reasonably priced unit successfully ?

I note that Hummingbird now offer one as part of their fish finder range... has anyone tried this? what depths ? are images ok ?
    Found a plane with the 997 csi in 165' of water. Past 150', range becomes a handicap. The advantage of having the transducer attached to the boat is twofold, easy running in shallow water with the ability to run the target over and over and navigation is fabulous. Using the cursor to tag targets, one can drop anchor at the waypoint and dive the target. Also great near shore and changing bottom profiles where towing a fish is a pain and risky.

Towed fish forces calculations to figure out where things are.

Using the two can also be useful in navigating quickly to a target.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6