+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 O2 and Dil manual add's!

RBW Member Lord M is an unknown quantity at this point Lord M's Avatar

2 O2 and Dil manual add's!

OK, so I'm new to the silent world. I bought my unit 2nd hand, it is basically standard, well was until I got hold of it.

Now the question is :-

I have 2 manual diluent adds, and 2 manual O2 adds, why?

Is there not enough onboard gas? I know that answer, but why have a 2nd of either let alone both?

Would it be usefull? I've blanked them off as it was getting confusing on my course.

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Re: 2 O2 and Dil manual add's!

Options :)

You can run with of board bailout plumbed into the loop ready to be used if need ie semi closed or incase of a failed OXygen source.

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord M  View Original Post
    OK, so I'm new to the silent world. I bought my unit 2nd hand, it is basically standard, well was until I got hold of it.

Now the question is :-

I have 2 manual diluent adds, and 2 manual O2 adds, why?

Is there not enough onboard gas? I know that answer, but why have a 2nd of either let alone both?

Would it be usefull? I've blanked them off as it was getting confusing on my course.
    You have an Inspo with a trimix kit.

The trimix kit was new counterlungs with two injectors in each side. Not for the uninitiated. Back then, once you passed your Entry Level Inspo course, and were already a trimix diver, after 50 hours on the beast with an air dil, you were considered suitably qualified to use it with trimix and could order up one of the trimix counterlung kits, of which you are the proud owner.

The trimix kit was designed by APD to allow you to use two different dils, so you can dive just like on normal trimix. Same for deco, hence two O2 injectors. I know, I know, not the way to do it, but I accepted too much back then.

Risks: Obvious. Wrong button push and you are gone. I confess to having done a dive pressing the right side instead of the left, when I was really tired, so just imagine the fun with four buttons. My Inspos have the four buttons, but I rig them up to the same gases (I take a lot of bail out with me - my twin 120s with Inspo is infamous). Doing this, the buttons are quite handy for on and offboard dil, and on and offboard O2/deco gas.

Benefits: None. I thought it was a good I idea when I parted company with some money for APD's trimix kit because I did not want to use an hypoxic dil near the surface. Instead of the obvious answer (press the right button when near the surface), I did it the APD way.

The fact is all eCCRs operate with a hypoxic loop as a normal mode of operation.

Before you all tell me I am speaking rubbish, think it over.

You only need one button for the O2 injector. The other side should be the APV, as it has a manual inject button in the middle of it, and feels quite different to the manual injector. This means even when half asleep, one will always know the difference between left and right. You are very preceptive to realising it is a good idea to block off the spare two ports.

BUT:
    There is not enough onboard gas. Always carry enough bail out so at any point in your dive, you can bail out off the rebreather and still do all your deco.

Finally, when bailing out, bail first, but do not forget to then immediately shut the mouthpiece. You will be a lot heavier if your Inspo floods, and you will have no option to go back onto loop after your head has cleared breathing open circuit for a few minutes.

Cheers,

Alex
    Last edited by AD_ward9; 24th October 2006 at 04:39. Reason: "a hypoxic" sounds better as "an hypoxic", don't you think?

Thanks for that, I did wonder, this does make sense to me.

I decided to block them off until I could find a use for them. If I am bailing out, I'm not on the loop so don't need them, unless I go back onto the loop and I should have enough gas in the loop to suffice.

I would have thought it would have made more sense to disconnect from the manual add and connect the gas you want to use rather than have both plumbed in, allowing mistakes to be made.

Decodiver

Quote Originally Posted by Lord M  View Original Post

I would have thought it would have made more sense to disconnect from the manual add and connect the gas you want to use rather than have both plumbed in, allowing mistakes to be made.
    When I last had an Inspo I had the following setup.

One Dil entry on inhale counterlung and two O2 entries on the exhale.

The reason for this was that I always had a spare 2 litre of O2 plugged into the lung so if I had a problem I just turned off the inboard and manually ran using the offboard.

Horses for courses etc....

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver  View Original Post

The reason for this was that I always had a spare 2 litre of O2 plugged into the lung so if I had a problem I just turned off the inboard and manually ran using the offboard.
    OK, that makes sense too, I'm still gonna keep mine blanked off for now until I decide what I want to do with it.

Decodiver

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver  View Original Post

Horses for courses etc....

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.
    Thsi image shows how I ran the offboard down the outside of the lung to the top button and the inboard down the inside to the lower button.

This allows immediate blind identification either by following the hose or the buttons themselves.

HTH.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread