+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RB80 from Halcyon??

RBW Member duartesss is an unknown quantity at this point duartesss's Avatar

RB80 from Halcyon??

Hello,

I'm doing the first steps in this rebreather world.

I think I will have the possibility to buy one Halcyon RB80 rebreather with a low price.

What you think about this rebreather?

Thanks
    Duartesss

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: RB80 from Halcyon??

Quote Originally Posted by duartesss  View Original Post
    I think I will have the possibility to buy one Halcyon RB80 rebreather with a low price.
    What is "low" ?

It is all relative. Something could be priced very high to begin with, then any discount sounds like a great deal...

Don't forget that you will need GUE Tech-2 (?) prerequisite to take the GUE RB course (unless buying 2nd hand unit). So factor that in should give you a realistic price of the unit.

RBW Member GuyW has a spectacular aura about GuyW has a spectacular aura about GuyW has a spectacular aura about GuyW has a spectacular aura about GuyW has a spectacular aura about GuyW's Avatar

Duartesss

Don't get sucked into buying an RB80 JUST because it is DIR, unless you really understand and value its differences. There is a reason that Inspirations, KISS etc are more popular.

Maybe you should consider what kind of diving you want to do ...

Guy
    Last edited by GuyW; 23rd October 2006 at 08:47.

RBW Member duartesss is an unknown quantity at this point duartesss's Avatar

Thanks.

I will check and compare with other alternatives in the market.

Can you give me suggestions for an good SCR?

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Do you really want a SCR, how did you come to that conclusion?

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your choice, I'm just asking... there are alot of percieved benefits/disadvantages to both SCR and CCR outside of the groups using them that aren't necessarily correct.

For example- The RB-80 is no doubt a lean, mean gas extending machine... but for Open Sea dives with large variation in seabed depth it may be uneconomical against CCR or OC. It was designed for long durations at pretty much fixed depths.

Its horses for courses... if you are after some considered opinion, tell us what and how you dive and perhaps someone will offer you some alternatives and explain their thinking, use this as abit of a sounding board for ideas.

Back on the RB-80 thread, there are a number of "alternative" RB-80 clones/copies/developements available, if the price of the RB-80 is and issue and the supplier is not perhaps they are worth research and consideration?

Good luck with your research,
    BEN

CCR INSTRUCTOR CCR-DIVER is on a distinguished road CCR-DIVER is on a distinguished road CCR-DIVER's Avatar
    SENTINEL

OUROBOROS, AND INSPIRATION

Hello Duarte,

(in englhish for all )

Why SCR and not directly CCR ?

I think itīs better for you go directly for CCR; then i recomend IN EUROPE : Inspiration or Evolution, or Ouroboros (more expensive); from USA you have Megalodon, very good unit too.

Probably you can buy nice 2 hand unit directly from good instructor.

Doný forget you can run CCR unit in SCR mode if you need it, and not oposite.

cheers

Jose

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    What is "low" ?

It is all relative. Something could be priced very high to begin with, then any discount sounds like a great deal...

Don't forget that you will need GUE Tech-2 (?) prerequisite to take the GUE RB course (unless buying 2nd hand unit). So factor that in should give you a realistic price of the unit.
    Just the price of the RB-80 unit will be equivalent to if not more the cost of a CCR unit.

RBW Member Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver will become famous soon enough Okidiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duartesss  View Original Post
    Hello,

I'm doing the first steps in this rebreather world.

What you think about this rebreather?

Thanks
    Duartesss
    D,
    My first post here, like yours, mentions the RB80. At the time it was the only one I'd seen, touched, and had friends (3) who dove it. However, 12 zillion (read) words later, I've changed course a bit. The cost/time of assimilation was a factor.
    Simplicy continues 2B the most important consideration to me, in my search for my first rebreather. Suggest reading up on the Sport/Classic KISS and the COPUS Meg. The KISS reportedly will have some upgrades to it this winter which look attractive.
    Take your time and read the stuff in the forums/library on this site. Lots of good info here, just takes time to weed it out.
    Half the fun is getting there, so good luck!

Rick

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

The Meg out of Washington, USA is supposed to be coming out with new electronics next year as well. As it is now, you can pretty much put any size cylinders on it and use a variety of different scrubbers.
    Last edited by quickean; 24th October 2006 at 04:51.

Custom Title Allowed! db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us is just really nice db8us's Avatar

I agree that the RB80 is a mean gas-extender and nothing else !
    Here are some "flat" cave-profiles:
    depth is in meters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast