+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Protection of Military Remains Act 1986

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

Re: Protection of Military Remains Act 1986

But, as someone pointed out earlier, we have at the other extreme events like this:

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Lucy's ancient bones to tour US

sounds like a trollop CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee's Avatar

...difference is, there's no one around who remembers Lucy...no one to guard her memory...sadly, sooner or later I think we all become a commodity to suit someone's purpose. It's that fine balance between education and exploitation that is so difficult to achieve.

Anyway, just a thought...who IS going to police this? How on earth can it be done given the number of wrecks in UK waters? Is this something that would be passed on to the coastguard?
    God love 'em, they've enough to do.

Just read back the thread....English Heritage????!!!! gawd help us! Why I have I got a picure of a load of blue-rinsed-ladies-of-a-certain-age, dressed in tweed, twin-sets (not THAT sort), pearls and Dame Edna glasses? I can see them now in their RIB, speeding towards a terrified bunch of hairy a*$ed divers...you know, I'd PAY to see that....Let's get this thing past the law Lords....

Just thought of something else....think of all the buildings and monuments that are part of our military and civilian heritage. Many are being lost through disrepair or the inability to make the owners protect them. I can think of quite a few examples here in Liverpool. It costs money to either force the owners into action or to actually commence preservation. This costs very little by comparison...you can't preserve them, neither can you effectively police them, but to the general public, you can at least be seen to be doing something...and no one can say that you're not fulfilling your role as guardian...

i'm gonna get me some tweed and a tartan shopping trolley...lets infiltrate and pull this thing down from the inside...

xChrissy
    Last edited by CeeBee; 25th October 2006 at 23:06. Reason: ....just one more dig....

sounds like a trollop CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee has a reputation beyond repute CeeBee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld  View Original Post
    Cough, HMS Edinburgh, splutter, hypocrites.
    What he said....

just read up on the salvage op, conducted 'without disturbing the war grave'...apart from the hole they cut in the hull to get to the bomb room and the remains they moved as they shifted the gold. Seems you can only rest in peace if you're not lying on gold bullion...

xChrissy

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee  View Original Post
    What he said....

just read up on the salvage op, conducted 'without disturbing the war grave'...apart from the hole they cut in the hull to get to the bomb room and the remains they moved as they shifted the gold. Seems you can only rest in peace if you're not lying on gold bullion...

xChrissy
    I was wondering when someone would pick up on this one.
    How can I take the govn seriously when they go along with operations like this then turn and slap my wrist for doing the wreck tourist thing.
    As always, the British government wh0re themselves out to the highest bidder.
    I'm serious when I say that if they think me a serious enough threat that they send out a type22, then I might reconsider. Until then Mr Secretary of State, fack you very much and where do I get that titanium crow bar?
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld  View Original Post
    where do I get that titanium crow bar?

...available at Woolworths, Argos and some branches of Sainsbury's Homebase. Offers subject to availablity.

RBW Member Lord M is an unknown quantity at this point Lord M's Avatar

I hope you didn't mind Mike but I put a link to this thread on YD, a recent post stated :-

The Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 (Designation of Vessels and Controlled Sites) Order 2006

Made 21st September 2006
    Coming into force 1st November 2006

Whereas it appears to the Secretary of State for Defence ("the Secretary of State")—

(a) that each vessel identified in article 2 of this Order sank on or after 4th August 1914 while in military service;

(b) that the remains of the vessels known as—

(i) the U-12,

(ii) the UB-65, and

(iii) the UB-81

all of which sank while in service with the armed forces of a country outside the United Kingdom, are in United Kingdom waters;

(c) that each area designated as a controlled site by this Order—

(i) contains a place comprising the remains of, or of a substantial part of, a vessel which sank less than two hundred years ago while in military service; and

(ii) extends no further around that place than appears to the Secretary of State to be appropriate for the purpose of protecting or preserving those remains or on account of identifying that place; and

(d) that the Crown Estate Commissioners, in whom is vested the areas that contain the places comprising the remains of, or of a substantial part of, HMS Royal Oak and UB-81, do not object to the terms of this Order which affect them, now, therefore, the Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 1(2) of the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986[1] ("the Act"), makes the following Order—

I dived UB-65 earlier this year (above comes into force 1st November), cause of sinking was premature explosion of one of its own torpedoes apparently. All the hatches are open, and there were no signs of any 'Human' remains, I know it says remains of the vessel above.

Why would they make it protected? Any ideas?

p.s. It's a cracking little dive.
    Last edited by Lord M; 29th October 2006 at 21:34.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4