+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EDO 04 Breakdown

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

EDO 04 Breakdown

This Thread is to discuss the great article Sean did on the EDO 04 break down.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/semi-closed-rebreather-articles/2710-edo-04-rmv-keyed-semi-closed-rebreather.html#post26695

Stuart
    Last edited by Louby Lou; 2nd January 2006 at 15:57.

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

Hey Sean, very nice article, the EDO is an rb that i looked at too, mainly because i find the idea magnificent comaring to the dolphin, but for me it is CCR. If you ever have your paths along the beautifull island of Cyprus, please come down and we can have a dive together.

/Jonny

RBW Writer londonsean69 is an unknown quantity at this point londonsean69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schford
    great article
    I feel my head swelling already :D

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Have a nice Green Blob

Came down in the last shower of rain Divechick is on a distinguished road Divechick is on a distinguished road Divechick's Avatar
    Great article - I learnt a lot reading it. Thanks

New Member Ali is an unknown quantity at this point Ali's Avatar

Edo

Quote Originally Posted by londonsean69
    I feel my head swelling already :D
    Hi Sean,

Brilliant article. I have been using my EDO for shallow dives but plan on trimix soon. As soon as I get all my things sorted out, I will post some pictures for all to see. I have just finished the EKPP style bracket at work. It waiting to be polished but looks brilliant. I have also built a sea water proof switch block as the one supplied with the EDO is AL. Not ideal if you have water coming in.

Ali

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

Question

schford, two quick question for ya: what is your primary safety concern diving this unit? ie. what do you perceive to be it's greatest weakness/shortcoming?

Are you planning to fit an O2 sensor? Some say it's not of much value on this style of RB.

Hi Marvintpa - its londonSean69s article and unit....I only published the article for him....

Stuart

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvintpa
    two quick question for ya: what is your primary safety concern diving this unit? ie. what do you perceive to be it's greatest weakness/shortcoming?
    I had considered buying the EDO-4 and got the chance to dive it with the STDE guys who I must say are very helpful. In the end I did not buy one.

The biggest weakness I found with it (the reason I did not buy one) was the size of the counterlung. I do not know how it compares to the RB80 but I found it too small and quite tiring to use. The theory is that when you inhale, 90% of the breath comes from the counterlung and 10% is freshly injected gas i.e. basically the end of your inhale cycle is coming from the ADV. However I felt the lung was too small for me so I would say about 1/4 to 1/5 of the breath was from the ADV. Apart from the loss of gas efficiency, the other problem is that this is quite tiring because the gas injectors are working off lung power. Suddenly you go from the easy breathe of a rebreather to the hard, mechanical breathe of open circuit right at the end of the breathing cycle when (I think) the diaphragm is weakest -- . I found myself compensating by breathing shallower and faster to avoid it which I don't think is especially good.

On the other hand, it is very well built and seems quite robust. Michael and Arno are also very helpful and willing to make stuff to your specifications. They modified an EDO-4 scrubber for me as part of my homebuild project.

Cheers,

Stuart

RBW Writer londonsean69 is an unknown quantity at this point londonsean69's Avatar
    schford, two quick question for ya: what is your primary safety concern diving this unit? ie. what do you perceive to be it's greatest weakness/shortcoming?
    If the little mushroom valve going into the exhale counterlung fails, then the loop will go hypoxic. As no gas is being vented, no fresh gas is being injected, bad day out.

Another weakness is the size/weight of it, about 30kg with 2x7l on it.

Are you planning to fit an O2 sensor? Some say it's not of much value on this style of RB.
    I have a dual display on the way from Stuart, which will be fitted, although I have had it on about 12 dives (10 hours) without them, including 37m on 30/30 at Stoney.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland
    The biggest weakness I found with it (the reason I did not buy one) was the size of the counterlung. I do not know how it compares to the RB80 but I found it too small and quite tiring to use.
    I personally have not found this to be a problem, unless I inhale ALL the way in, or exhale ALL the way out. I'm also 6ft3 with lungs to match, but then again maybe its the way I breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland
    it is very well built and seems quite robust. Michael and Arno are also very helpful and willing to make stuff to your specifications. They modified an EDO-4 scrubber for me as part of my homebuild project.
    I'll second that, very helpful, answered all my silly questions, and sent pictures every couple of weeks during the build.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast