+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dive Show Report

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Dive Show Report

As usual, not much to report... got waylaid discussing air Vs Electrically driven boosters with Stansted Boosters and missed the RBW gathering!

VR3 had a fancy new mutli-tap rebreather connector on show which seemed to imply you could "'borisize" your rebreather. Doesn't seem to be up on their site yet but was a VR3 running a fatter than normal cable to a triangular connector box which then had two HP lines to monitor Dil and O2 pressure, a 4th cell connector and a boris like red/green HUD.... however it was just sitting in one corner with no bells and whistles, not sure anyone actually saw it!!!

Jetsam had their new Mares BOV on display and very nice it is too, they'd also wangled a great corner booth and had a couple of nice colour banners to advertise their presents, commendable seeing as it all had to be lugged from Canada by a couple of people! Met Alan on the KISS stand- what a nice chap, very knowledgable and picked up a couple of tips. Kim was pretty excited about being the 2nd largest rebreather manufacturer and didn't seem to believe it! :D We had the inevitible chat about CE approval and it sounds like whatever happens won't be soon but they are going to take a serious look at it, which I think is the only sensible thing to do and wish them all the best in that undertaking.

APD had nothing new on show but they did have a very nice stand with a big plasma screen showing what I assume was footage of the recent Britannic expedition.

Submatics had 2-3 units on display, SCR and CCR, their case is a real nice bit of kit up close but the inside still looks abit below par IMVHO compared to Jetsam, AP and Boris. They where touting their MCCR CE approval to 80mtrs on Trimix which confused me alittle because I don't think anyone got CE on Trimix yet, Heliox/air maybe but not Trimix? (I could be wrong)

Off the stand I heard a couple of people question how and where they got their CE approval, suggestions that elsewhere in Europe one might be able to buy what AP and VR3/Boris jumped through hoops for... I'm sure Submatics did what they needed to do but it would seem to have ignited abit of debate!

I swung past the Solus stand and had a good long chat with them, the new handheld torch is a beauty and my girlfriend thought it would be a great torch for recreational divers as its so light and well bright! The price wasn't confirmed but it looks like around £350'ish.... Ouch.. but its alot of light for such a small package. Meanwhile they where using the umbilical lightheads to smash Walnuts for the punters amusement- its certainly as tough as they claim.

Didn't see anything new and noteworthy elsewhere and the show was pretty empty (which was fine for me but will it drive the manufacturers away?)

Lastly one excellent stand of note and genius was a stand inside the hall selling HUGE and pretty cheap sandwhiches, sticky buns, apple slices, Iced Donuts, hot chocolate, coffee and tea! Normally one has to leave the hall and queue up with the plebs from the National Wedding Show and SubPostoffice show for nasty Subway buns or cheap burgers- this was a welcome addition in my eyes/stomach! :D

BEN

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: Dive Show Report

No Silent Submersion ?

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    No Silent Submersion ?
    Not that I saw, mind you- I wasn't looking for them, perhaps someone else saw them?? Unless they've made it smaller I'm not what point there'd be showing anothing scooter in the UK...

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Unless they've made it smaller I'm not what point there'd be showing anothing scooter in the UK...
    Well, be careful of what you wish for... ;)

I believe they are supposed to be sharing the booth with someone else, but can't remember who with... (with IANTD and Eau-Zone, just remember!)
    Last edited by decoweenie; 15th October 2006 at 19:31.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Welllll I wasted a lot of time running around in circles trying to find the mythical Micro-poor Stand which (I was informed) would be displaying the new Dive life CCR controller. I couldn't find it and questioning every even vaguely CCR related stand owner came back with blank expressions.

Best bit's for me were meeting Kim on the KISS stand. and having a good old natter with Kevin Gurr about the Boris, Flooding problem??? What flooding problem :D VPM problem on the VR3??? What VPM problem???

Hummmm cant say I was alllll that convinced that it was all user error but there is something about Kevin that always makes me want to spend more time talking to him. Apparently he runs inboard dill as air on the Boris so he doesn't need to worry about the small cylinders. He just runs trimix off board for the deep part of the dive and switches to inboard dill for an air flushes at 30m?? I was somewhat surprised that this practice still goes on but he seemed happy to do it so who am I to argue.

Louise for Diver Mag was on form and excellent value as always, handing out free beer and telling incredible stories about dragging wayward ironing boards out of 160m crevices in her successfull attempt to regain the deep extreme ironing record.

Bargain of the dive show was soooo amazing I almost bought two. A company called Frog were selling single tank and twin tank rigs with harness back plate SMB storage system and wing for £150. Amazing value and i had to repeatedly remind my self that i didn't actually own any OC tanks to use them with

FROG DIVE GEAR

I had a look at the Kent Tooling stainless steel ratchet reel whic was pretty much everything they had promised. It was so solid i reckon you could knock down brick loos with it :D I finaly got to meet and shake the hand of Phill of Divingniknaks (Salvo Tourches UK) fame and the ever so helpfull Narked @ 90.

Met up with a load of people from RBW and many old friends as well. Then Janous and I joined the gathering of the Delta Clan and we set of to sample Englands finest cuisine. A Birmingham Curry

All in all not a bad day out

ATB

Mark Chase
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 15th October 2006 at 15:05.

RBW Member whaam68 is an unknown quantity at this point whaam68's Avatar

Just got back from the dive Birmingham show,
    not a huge amount going on but highlights were (again) a chat with the lovely Kim on the Jetsam stand. She had flown direct from doing her Trimix course with Kevin Gurr in the red sea. We were talking about displays as I've had some minor probs with mine & she said Jetsam were working with Delta P (yes really) to produce the next gen KISS handset that would have all 3 cell readouts on a single display, be modular & have an optional hud & computer input. She was talking about maybe being ready with this within 4 months, if so it may be the bolt on Boris bits. Not sure if this will be an alternative to or fully replace the current design.

Paul delivered an entertaining teardown & demo of his rEvo that I'm sure someone else will post about in more detail. A nicely engineered unit with some unique design features. If I didn't have the KISS already I would be tempted....now I understand how the gas path works :)

Nefarious Activist iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani is just really nice iani's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whaam68  View Original Post
    <snip> We were talking about displays as I've had some minor probs with mine & she said Jetsam were working with Delta P (yes really) to produce the next gen KISS handset that would have all 3 cell readouts on a single display, be modular & have an optional hud & computer input. She was talking about maybe being ready with this within 4 months, if so it may be the bolt on Boris bits. Not sure if this will be an alternative to or fully replace the current design.

</snip>
    I was over at CCRB a couple of weeks ago and Kev had an Optima on the bench with a controller he has made, this sounds like what you are talking about. I didn't have a good look but the handset contained the primary and secondary displays so it was obviously rather large and heavy.

Ian

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

I briefly popped into the bar at 12:10 but didn't see anything
    that looked like an RBW gathering. Sorry if I missed anyone.

The guy on the Jetsam stand (Alan?) did mention a new smaller
    scooter on another stand that he was looking at so that may be
    the one mentioned above. The guys in the photo he showed us
    were using KISS's too.

Innes McCartney's lecture on the Newquay U-boats was excellent
    and I can recommend U-1021, we had an amazing dive on it in
    perfect summer conditions.

Peter

No photos of anything, guys and gals ?

Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    No photos of anything, guys and gals ?
    Yes yes yes, cannot wait until tomorrow , till I meet my friends tomorrow :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast