+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Article: Rebreathers and cave diving

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Question Re: Article: Rebreathers and cave diving

Quote Originally Posted by JPJones  View Original Post
    I consider CCR the safest way to Cave Dive. But remember just as a basic open water course does not prepare you to cave dive just a basic CCR course does not either. Even with over 2500 cave dives and being a cave IT I needed more training beyond my basic course to be safe.
    From this and the DrMike thread, is there a manual/book/site somewhere which lists what the extra skills required are please? Just curious - I'd like to see what else is required. I guess some of it might be useful for wrecks too...

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

Re: Article: Rebreathers and cave diving

Quote Originally Posted by solocavediver  View Original Post
    Hi Cedric,

thanks so much for another really helpful article.:)

There is one point in it that I think I would be wary of myself. It is the bit about the buoyancy characteristics of the tanks remaining constant therefore you can reduce your weighting at the start of the dive. Now if all goes well, yes you can, because you will use a tiny amount of gas in CCR mode and open circuit backups will not be touched. But if you have to use your extra gas for any reason then the tanks may be just as empty at the end as on open circuit - giving a big problem if ones weighting doesn't allow to get negative when the tanks are empty
    I have a solution for this which may be worthy of consideration, it works for me, but YYMV.

add blocks of foam to the tanks using snoopy loops, which are ditchable in emergency. Compressable foam works, non compressable is better. for most ccr dives your tanks stay [fairly] full and neutral, but when you need to breathe the gas, you can ditch the foam. This also helps to give steel sidemounted tanks that nice floaty arse up trim needed for long distances

John

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnv  View Original Post
    I have a solution for this which may be worthy of consideration, it works for me, but YYMV.

add blocks of foam to the tanks using snoopy loops, which are ditchable in emergency. Compressable foam works, non compressable is better. for most ccr dives your tanks stay [fairly] full and neutral, but when you need to breathe the gas, you can ditch the foam. This also helps to give steel sidemounted tanks that nice floaty arse up trim needed for long distances

John
    Hi John,

Do you have a pic of your tanks with the blocks of foam (if possible underwater)? I guess you need big blocks so is it very streamlined?

Cheers

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cedricverdier  View Original Post
    Hi John,

Do you have a pic of your tanks with the blocks of foam (if possible underwater)? I guess you need big blocks so is it very streamlined?

Cheers
    I have checked and can't find any pics. This is really a european thing (not british), I tend to do it only on 15 or 18L cylinders when I have a number to carry. if you keep the blocks fairly thin & long the result you achieve is much more streamlined than without. The attachment bar I have on my inspiration for sidemounting works fine, but when you sidemount 3 or 4 tanks, it all becomes more difficult and much less streamlined if the tanks aren't close to neutral and hang down. The speed increase noticed when scootering is significant and you can get away with less lead.

It seems much more logical to me to trim each individual item if possible so that if you need to drop it off there is less overall change in bouyancy.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Another possible solution is using (intact) bicycle inner tube wrapped around the tanks so you could adjust the amount of lift u/w by adding/removing air inside the tube.

IIRC, WKPP mentioned the use of this in the past. I have no direct first-hand experience with this method, just remember vaguely that it was discussed...

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post
    Another possible solution is using (intact) bicycle inner tube wrapped around the tanks so you could adjust the amount of lift u/w by adding/removing air inside the tube.

IIRC, WKPP mentioned the use of this in the past. I have no direct first-hand experience with this method, just remember vaguely that it was discussed...
    One quick and dirty way to control lift is to change the DPVs prop to higher rise :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4