+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mask lens inserts

New Member Alan Crichton is an unknown quantity at this point Alan Crichton's Avatar

Cool Mask lens inserts

Being a member of the CCR group of aging divers I am looking for advice on the type of glue suitable to use on prescription lens inserts. I have had mine professionally applied twice and they still loosen after a few months. I use +2 glass inserts.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Mask lens inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Crichton  View Original Post
    Being a member of the CCR group of aging divers I am looking for advice on the type of glue suitable to use on prescription lens inserts. I have had mine professionally applied twice and they still loosen after a few months. I use +2 glass inserts.
    I don't have an answer for you but I am also looking into the problem.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

when you guys figure it out, give me a shout too

RBW Member Edmund will become famous soon enough Edmund will become famous soon enough Edmund will become famous soon enough Edmund's Avatar

Have you ever considered Lasik eye surgery to correct your vision. Had my done a few years ago and have no regrets.

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

I have had lasik and that is part of the problem, it corrects distance vision, but screwed my close up vision, hence the need for inserts. I am much happier without the need to wear contacts through

Hey Edmund, welcome to RBW, how is that CCR dolphin treating you???

RBW Member Huw is an unknown quantity at this point Huw's Avatar

Guys

I've tried stick in lenses for a year or so, I never looked at laser stuff as I run a mile from anything remotely hospital related (just a big coward!!).

Anyway, getting back to the point I tried some different designs of stick in lenses and never came across any that stayed put for any length of time. From memory it was the lenses from 3M that stayed put the longest.

In the end I bit the bullet and got prescription ground lenses for my masks (Cressi Big Eyes). That has solved the problem, they are plain glass with a bifocal section near the bottom of the lens and work a treat.

Hope this is some help

Huw

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund  View Original Post
    Have you ever considered Lasik eye surgery to correct your vision. Had my done a few years ago and have no regrets.
    I only need reading glasses for close up stuff like reading apecs handsets. Lasiks if for near sightedness as far as I know.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Cool something I can contribute too… Whowwee

I have two options….

One is a prescription mask- Link <Welcome to Prescription Dive Mask>
    The web site is cheesy but the product ROCKS. They are at DEMA if you would see their product first hand.
    You send in the mask and they can cut it to your desire. I have done this twice when working at a dive shop for customers, they loved it. I would recommend it to anyone.
    Single lens prescription is cheap compared to some people who want an arm and a leg.
    If you are going this route- send a second mask. That way if you are in the middle of no where and destroy one you are still safe with the second mask. Hummm, sounds like something I would do…

For me this was a cost of something like $120.00 verses $300.00 at the optometrist.
    example of grinding they can do- link Prescriptions

The Second option is to find a mask maker that sells lens that pop in and out with precut lens. This is what I did recently. I found the closest fit (prescription to my own) and it works great for long distance but is a bit fuzzy up close for some of my gauges. Cost was about the same as the prescription when you buy the frame, both lens, all at separate costs. However, that is assuming you have two masks you already like to have ground.

Any questions give me a yell.

Andrew
    Last edited by Crazyduck; 3rd October 2006 at 01:48.

Meg

CCR Dolphin

not much help for my full face mask with its plastic faceplate though

Dave Mitchell akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst's Avatar
    KISS Classic Explorer

Kiss Classic

Quote Originally Posted by RonMicjan  View Original Post
    not much help for my full face mask with its plastic faceplate though
    We send several masks a month to Dive Sight, Inc.

I'm sure they can do it. I've seen SeaVision (plastic) lenses that they have done with Tri-focals even and they come out great. you might give them a call.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast