+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diving in Crimea - update

Megalegalegalegadingdong! nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield is just really nice nmanfield's Avatar

Diving in Crimea - update

Further to my report about diving in Crimea. This was written by Alex with whom I was diving and who is about to take his Inspo MOD1 (good Luck mate). This was the wreck that the weather and dodgy boat handling skills conspired to keep us off. Could have been me and Alex getting it but I'm not bitter as it was with Dima that we were diving on the 'Rumb' and you'll not meet a nicer guy.

Saying that, there are plenty more wrecks down there. Hopefully Alex and I can sort out an expedition in September next year to dive known but undived wrecks in the 70 -130m range so if you're interested please pm me

Thanks again Alex - nice job

Balaclava's sailing ship identified!
    The sailing ship off Balaclava (Black Sea, Crimea), which we dived a year ago, is finally identified. Found 3 years ago, she is sitting upright at 84 meters just a couple of miles from the harbour. It was beleived that she was British and sunk during the Crimean War, however no proof could be found. And now, after three years and quite a few dives, Ukrainian divers Dmitri Shapovalov, Andrei Bykov and some others (sorry guys, don't know all the names) fond the bell. In fact, its quite a detective story. It looked like a rest of a broken mast not far from the bow completely covered with mussles(actually, it is the third mast, which is strange for such a small ship, and only two masts can be found on the bottom near her). Anyway, Dmitri became suspicious and started scratching, and thats what it appeared to be.

Photos courtesy of Andrei Bykov

This how the bell looks after some big cleaning work. The whole construction is solid bronze.

So, her name is "Agnes Blaikie". There are also letters ABN behind the name.

It would be extremely intersting to find some infomation about this ship. Does anyone know whether this might be possible, and how? Please help!

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: Diving in Crimea - update

Congratulations on the identification. Fantastic photos! Keep up the good work.

New Member Alex is an unknown quantity at this point Alex's Avatar

Thanks Nick

An easy Googe search gives the following:

Aberdeen Line/Aberdeen and Commonwelth Lines

Agnes Blaikie, built in 1841, in 1849 sold to W. Jenkins & Co, Swansea. 381 tonn

This is compatible with the abbr. ABD on the bell, and the size of the ship. So that's probably her. She was definitely not a Royal Navy ship- what was she doing in Balaclava?

Many intersting stories hidden in the Black Sea- for instance, misterious Black Prince who sunk with the salary for the whole Crimean War fleet....

Alex

RBW Member v_alexey is an unknown quantity at this point v_alexey's Avatar
    AV1 eCCR

Insp Vision

Some video in\outside this wreck ftp://ftp.icm.ru/agnes.wmv -44mb.

and new wreck ftp://ftp.icm.ru/makkavey.wmv - 24mb

+ Reply to Thread