+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Compressor Question

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Question Compressor Question

Someone might know the answer.

We have a compressorit has a Pressure maintaining valve after the first filter and after the second filter.
    The one after the first filter is set to around 180 bar the second to around 60 odd (I think)
    the first PMV means that the compressor is always running at 180 bar + now I'm thinking is this a good idea? I know why the PMV is there but I'm thinking that
    1 it doesn't need both
    2 180 bar is a bit high

BTW this is how the compressor came set up (second hand) and the second filter was added after (also ssecond hand).

So should I alter / remove the first PMV?

Custom Title Allowed! Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law is a glorious beacon of light Barrie Law's Avatar

Re: Compressor Question

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie  View Original Post

We have a compressorit has a Pressure maintaining valve after the first filter and after the second filter.
    The one after the first filter is set to around 180 bar the second to around 60 odd (I think)
    the first PMV means that the compressor is always running at 180 bar + now I'm thinking is this a good idea? I know why the PMV is there but I'm thinking that
    1 it doesn't need both
    2 180 bar is a bit high

BTW this is how the compressor came set up (second hand) and the second filter was added after (also ssecond hand).

Hi Ian,

The PMV is fitted to ensure the correct pressure is maintained in the filter cartridge material to allow it to function correctly.

You should be able to check the Manufacturers specification online if you can identify them from the filter cartridge.

I believe 130 Bar to 150 Bar to be more generally the PMV settings
    but it depends on the manufacturer and also who fitted the second filter and for what reason.

Regards

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie  View Original Post

1 it doesn't need both
    2 180 bar is a bit high

you dont need 2, and 180bar really isnt that high it will help keep the moisture down..
    I am assuming you have some type of coalescor before the first filter and 13x in the first filter, this will help remove more water before it hits the 13x.. the higher the pressor the more effective it will be.. (you should also have a check valve before the filter) and after the coalescor (if equipped - highly recommended)

It should be set at a minimum of 125bar, if your compressor has trouble starting up then back it down to 160bar..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Fair enough it has two seperators 1 after the 2nd stage and another after the 3rd stage non return valve then the first filter (Silica Gel, Activated Carbon, Molecular Sieve and Hopcalite) PMV then the second filter (just charcoal) and PMV.

I might move the first PMV to after the second filter then both will be at the same pressure. But that can wait till its re plumbed.

Cheers guys :)

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Hi Beanie-

I dont claim to be the worlds greatest expert on compressor systems, but there are a few basic principals that are pretty much universal. First and foremost is, as Joe said, that the higher the PMV is set the drier the air produced will be, all other things held constant. Second is that some form of coalescer is needed if you expect to produce quality air. Think of it this way: The coalescer is your primary moisture removal device w/ the down stream chemicals there only to catch what little gets by it. Both it and whatever you are using for desiccant (molecular sieve, alumina, whatever) and CO insurance (Hopcalite or similar) NEED high pressure to function properly- the higher the better. I run my PMV at 170 bar on my primary compressor and my air tests ALWAYS come back far better than required for moisture. Id run it higher, but thats as high as it will go:D

If you have a problem w/ compressor not being able to start up against higher pressures, you could always install a bleed valve in your system to allow start up. Its not like a compressor starts & stops all the time. I know Id put up w/ a bleed valve in order to get the driest air I could.

Best,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    Hi Beanie-

I dont claim to be the worlds greatest expert on compressor systems, but there are a few basic principals that are pretty much universal. First and foremost is, as Joe said, that the higher the PMV is set the drier the air produced will be, all other things held constant. Second is that some form of coalescer is needed if you expect to produce quality air. Think of it this way: The coalescer is your primary moisture removal device w/ the down stream chemicals there only to catch what little gets by it. Both it and whatever you are using for desiccant (molecular sieve, alumina, whatever) and CO insurance (Hopcalite or similar) NEED high pressure to function properly- the higher the better. I run my PMV at 170 bar on my primary compressor and my air tests ALWAYS come back far better than required for moisture. Id run it higher, but thats as high as it will go:D

If you have a problem w/ compressor not being able to start up against higher pressures, you could always install a bleed valve in your system to allow start up. Its not like a compressor starts & stops all the time. I know Id put up w/ a bleed valve in order to get the driest air I could.

Best,
    Ken

sweet :)

It starts just fine even with the filter at 180 bar or so the compressor can be drained independantly of the filter :)
    I like the thought of dry air so will leave it as is :) I was just wondering if the compressor would run better at a lower pressure that's all but the seperation / filtering makes sense :D

+ Reply to Thread