+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: O2 Flushing During Deco

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

O2 Flushing During Deco

I have been trying to become more efficient with my gas consumption. Along these lines, I am thinking about O2 flushing procedures that balance offgassing with gas consumption.

So far, what I am doing is flushing with oxygen two or three times upon arrival at my 20 foot stop. Then, considering that I am probably offgassing a fair amount of Helium, I flush again after two to three minutes. After that, I flush after about five more minutes. Then, I might do it again after about ten minutes.

I was just curious as to how often everyone flushes with oxygen upon arrival at the shallow stop. Maybe I am doing some overkill here.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Re: O2 Flushing During Deco

In the beginning of 20ft/6m stop I usually flush 2-3 times to get the ppO2 up. After that I flush when it drops to around 1,35-1,4.

Sometimes if I want to do a better check on the cells I might do a partial flush at 9m. There I can see that the cells can go higher than 1,6.

JH

New Member Allan_o is on a distinguished road Allan_o is on a distinguished road Allan_o's Avatar

Normally i tend to close my adv at 6m and add o2 keeping the ppo2 at 1,4 througout the deco,i dont do any "real Flushes"

Regards Allan

Offcourse a cellcheck will regard a higher pp02, i use 1,6 as my reference, then i know that my cells are able to sound the acoustic alarm.
    Last edited by Allan_o; 22nd September 2006 at 07:08.

Pom in Aus louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin's Avatar
    Meg & GAF

Kiss Classic & Sports Kiss

I dive a classic kiss and I always turn of my dil when I get to my 6m stop and flush 3 times, I find this works for me. I then push the PP02 up to 1.4 I dive with a VR3 set to 1.2 I then push it up again when it starts to drop below 1.25/1.3.

Louis

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

I flush lots. O2 is cheap and it gives me something to do.

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

I remember we discussed this many moons ago. I cant find the discussion where we actually calculated the volume of gas but found some equally interesting and relevant conversations;
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=448

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=1247
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

when on deco from 6m ans some tine 9m I close the hydrogom and connect ADV on an external O2 bottle ( so dont need to reboost my smalls inboard O2 bottle too frequently ).
    Then I notice that is quite impossible to have a stable higher PPO2 than 1.3 at 6m (till the level of inert gas is high inside my body I think ).
    But at the end of the deco ( I always use very conservative tables except if I have some problem, then turn on a shorter way) I notice that I get a good 1.6 and I am very pleased when I can go out water in such a situation ( guess I have done a good and rather complete deco , if no error done before).

KISS and rEvo diver Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte's Avatar
    rEvo

KISS Classic, Dolphin

I don't flush with O2 much anymore. I ususlly run my Classic Kiss at about 1.2 during the dive and 1.3 to 1.4 on deco. I have found on some deeper/longer dives that the high PO2 I was using on ascent was giving me a high CNS.
    I would prefer to hang just a couple of minutes longer than push the CNS. I have not found the difference worth the risk.

I do however flush one at the end of my dive to check cells and prepare the unit to have a high PO2 on the surface as I get onboard the boat.

Louis, I'm not sure that tuning off the dil is such a great idea. Especially if you are flushing the loop with O2. What if you needed to do a quick flush if you felt like you had symptoms of oxtox? Or if you needed to do a quick descent to help someone and forgot to turn it back on?

Regards, Peter

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc T  View Original Post
    But at the end of the deco ( I always use very conservative tables except if I have some problem, then turn on a shorter way) I notice that I get a good 1.6 and I am very pleased when I can go out water in such a situation ( guess I have done a good and rather complete deco , if no error done before).
    Watching for a stable PO2 is a nice way of checking you've done enough deco.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Piemonte  View Original Post
    I'm not sure that tuning off the dil is such a great idea. Especially if you are flushing the loop with O2. What if you needed to do a quick flush if you felt like you had symptoms of oxtox? Or if you needed to do a quick descent to help someone and forgot to turn it back on?
    How long does it take to turn the tank on ? About 1 sec ?

You can't effectively descent if your diluent is not pressurized because you won't be able to get a full breath in just a few meters. Then reach back and turn the tank on while carry on with the descent...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast